PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable rear sights on SA

warf73
01-26-2011, 07:30 AM
Love my EAA Bounty Hunter 44mag in hard case color but can't stand the fact that it shoots high left with my loads. At 25 yards its holds a nice 6 shot large clover leave when I do my part. It’s about 3" high and 2" left with my load of red dot and Lyman 429421.

What would it cost to have adjustable rear sights added to my EAA and have the gate tightened up (falls open after every shot now)?

Thanks Robert

PacMan
01-26-2011, 11:27 AM
You might try Clements Custom Guns. He installs Adjustable sights on Ruger Vaquer but they are pricey.

Calamity Jake
01-27-2011, 10:24 AM
You can adjust windage by filing the rear sight notch a little wider, to move inpact right file the right side of the notch, JUST A FEW THOU MAKES A BIG CHANGE!!! so go slow.

Shooting high can be adjusted with volicity change, up your RD charge .3gr at a time until inpact is at point of aim.

If your already at max with RD then forget the above and change powders.

475BH
01-27-2011, 11:39 AM
You can adjust windage by filing the rear sight notch a little wider, to move inpact right file the right side of the notch, JUST A FEW THOU MAKES A BIG CHANGE!!! so go slow.

Shooting high can be adjusted with volicity change, up your RD charge .3gr at a time until inpact is at point of aim.

--Better yet, have a gunsmith turn your barrel. Make adjustments until it shoots to center.--

--You can have a higher front sight installed. As a matter of fact, just have a gunsmith put a dovetailed front sight on, that would fix both problems at once.--
Like this one.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/sbhg/Colt20New20Service20custom20_4520Colt20002-1.jpg

warf73
01-28-2011, 06:51 AM
--Better yet, have a gunsmith turn your barrel. Make adjustments until it shoots to center.--

--You can have a higher front sight installed. As a matter of fact, just have a gunsmith put a dovetailed front sight on, that would fix both problems at once.--
Like this one.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/sbhg/Colt20New20Service20custom20_4520Colt20002-1.jpg

Whom would you have do this? My smith passed a few years back and there is no one local I trust or has a good rep.

475BH
01-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Whom would you have do this? My smith passed a few years back and there is no one local I trust or has a good rep.

--That pic of the front sight is from the Bowen Classic Arms site.

warf73
02-03-2011, 12:26 AM

--That pic of the front sight is from the Bowen Classic Arms site.

I contacted Bowen Classic Arms and this was there responce.

Dear Sir:

Thanks for your inquiry.

Our cat. no. 1030 is only for installing our factory-replacement sights on adjustable-sight Ruger and S&W revolvers.

We do not have any way to fit a sight to an EAA Bounty Hunter. We are able to offer our products and services only for guns we have tooling, parts and fixtures for, mostly Ruger, S&W and USFA models.

Thanks for your interest.

Sincerely yours,

Hamilton S. Bowen
Bowen Classic Arms Corp.

I couldn't find anything about the front sight but don't matter if they wont work on EAA.

Thanks for the sugetion anyone have any other ideas of whom might work on a EAA?

Does Ruger make a 4 5/8" case hard color revolver in 44?

Warf

targetshootr
02-03-2011, 11:37 PM
Ruger made the old vaqueros with faux case harden colors. Looks kind of cheesy though and it's a big gun. Not sure about the newer models and coloring. Anyhow, I don't think Bowen works on anything but "brand name" guns. That kind of part would work on any kind of barrel but the barrel would probably need to be reblued. Andy Horvath did a front sight just like that for one of my guns and sent an extra pinned blade of a different height.

Old model Ruger done like a vaquero:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/targetshootr/DSCN0155.jpg

NVScouter
02-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Having a company like Bowen do the work would be more then your pistol is worth. Your pistol was 199.99(Cabelas base version)-$399 new. If your happy with it just turn the barrel or do site adjustments with a file like as mentioned above.

I could think of how I would do it with a barrel vice and a home made reciever wrench at the range. Past that you could remove your front site and try your hand at silver soldering a new one on that is the right height.

warf73
02-05-2011, 04:01 AM
I'm considering trading my EAA for super blackhawk. There is a gunshow this weekend I'll see whats out there.

ironhead7544
02-05-2011, 02:41 PM
You could also have a ramp with a dovetail installed.