PDA

View Full Version : Rossi problem

wrangler
01-26-2011, 01:12 AM
After 9 weeks waiting for paperwork then 2more weeks delay because of floods, I finally got my Rossi 357. Home then down to my range, walked through some mud and fired 20 shots at 30 metres.Shoots great BUT.
Won't eject the shells.As the shell clears the chamber it just falls back into the action.
Sometimes extracter releases before clearing the chamber.
Usually Rossi's throw the shells 20 feet into the air.Even when the action is cranked fast the shell still does not clear. I have never seen this in Rossi's before.
In Australia we don't have to put up with rebounding hammers or safties.
Anyone got any ideas?
Jim

doubs43
01-26-2011, 01:50 AM
If the extractor doesn't hold the case until the rim strikes the ejector, I'd say you have a weak extractor.... one that lacks the proper tension to hold the case rim. If it can't be altered to work properly, you may need to replace it.

mattbowen
01-26-2011, 07:45 AM
wrangler;

I agree with doubs43 it sounds like the extractor is weak, bent or there may be a piece of material between the bolt and extractor. I would take the extractor out and check it and the bolt for burs and dirt.

John Boy
01-26-2011, 09:28 AM
(1) Clean the inside of the receiver - rails - bolt assembly - etc ... First.

(2)Then look at the front of the ejector--there are two little "feet" on the front of it that keep the empty case in place as it is extracted from the chamber. If these are rounded off, the empty can slip out from under the extractor before it it ejected. Use a dremel or a small file and make sure those feet are flat and square with the bolt face.

(3) The ejector slides inside a channel in the bolt. It must slide freely within that channel, or it can't pop out hard enough to do its job. There is an "L" shaped piece pinned into the bolt that forms this channel. Check to see if the ejector is rubbing against that piece, and if necessary file down the piece just enough to let the ejector move back and forth easily.

Throckmorton
01-26-2011, 11:17 AM
the ejector should have a lot of spring pressure when pushed into the bolt with your finger...does it? or does it just sort of fall into the bolt? I had a local gunsmith 'tune' my Rossi,and he 'tuned' the ejector spring a tad too much...eeven though there is spring pressure there,it ejects weakly.

Pepe Ray
01-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Wrangler;
If you strip the bolt, watch for the LITTLE collar/ring in the ejector channel with the spring. Looks like a tubing ferrule. They sometimes break and jam up the works.
I highly recommend getting the DVD from Steve's Guns (Nate Kiowa Jones-AKA).
He gives great instructions on tuning the M92 Rossi.
Pepe Ray

markinalpine
01-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Lot's of good info here: http://marauder.homestead.com/rifles.html

Mark :coffeecom

wrangler
01-26-2011, 06:16 PM
I pulled the extractor out and smoothed the edges and sides and it seems to be working.The ejector isn't throwing the shells far but enough to clear the action.As usual the spring in the ejector seems to have come off a truck. Will use it for awhile the way it is before changing much.Parts are hard to get and slow to get here.
Thanks to all .

Denver
01-29-2011, 01:55 PM
I just completed a teardown/ reassembly of my new Rossi 357 rifle using the instructions from the Marauder website. Very good step by step instructions there. I wouldn't have attempted it otherwise. This rifle like most of the Rossi levers I've handled was rough as a cob out of the box. From looking at the various parts when disassembled, there wasn't much evidence of parts wear even though I had cycled the action numerous times before taking it apart. The one part that seems to cause much of the hard cycling is the carrier. It had been ground at the factory on the right side to make it fit. I polished it a little with some 400 grit emery paper on that side. After reassembly, I think it could use a bit more. There's quite a bit of resistance in the last bit of lever travel before the carrier pops up. Three things I did that made a big difference was to bend the trigger spring up to relieve some pressure on the trigger, removed the lever plunger and clipped a coil off the spring and then polished it. Also I replaced the hammer spring with a factory hammer spring from one of my Ruger Vaqueros. It's the same diameter as the Rossi spring, but about 4 or 5 coils shorter.
Probably could have accomplised the same thing by cutting a few coils from the Rossi spring, but I wanted to see if the shorter Ruger spring would work. It does. The action cycles much easier now and the trigger pull is also lighter. Brownells sells a spring kit to replace the Rossi factory springs for around $25, but before spending that kind of money, you could do as well by modifying the springs that are there.

:cbpour::Fire: