PDA

View Full Version : feeding issues

white eagle
01-25-2011, 11:14 PM
I am having slight feeding problems with my model 70 (push feed
I am using a cast boolit with a 80% meplat in 7mm (280 ai)
the boolit jams into the end of the barrel when pushed from the mag
don't really know what can be done
will try to play with the o/a but I just started with this one so this is the very first problem I ran into
what do ya think ????

Molly
01-26-2011, 01:23 AM
A few more details might help someone help you. Where does the bullet hit the end of the barrel? Top, bottom, left side, right side? Are your rounds OAL shorter than the inside of the magazine well? Is your meplat (the very tip of the bullet) REALLY 0.227inches wide? If so, you need to consider the possibility that someone has monkeyed with your mold. Most rifle molds will cast a nose that runs from pointed through round nose to a fairly small flat meplat. Give us some details.

white eagle
01-26-2011, 10:26 AM
yes its 80% meplat no one monkeeyed with the mold I ordered it that way
seems that when I push the boolit from the mag that the meplat hits bottom left side
looks as though if I could raise up it would pass

Dan Cash
01-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Need a different bullet.

white eagle
01-26-2011, 11:31 AM
thats not the answer I was lookin for but thanks

Char-Gar
01-26-2011, 01:37 PM
This is not uncommon with large meplat cast bullets. Playing with the seating depth is about all that can be done without trying to modify the rifle, which I would not recommend.

At the end of the day, does it really matter if you have to nudge the round a little with your thumb to make it feed? Unless a fellow is hunting dangerous game, engaged in rapid fire shooting competition or combat, I don't think it does.

Molly
01-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Yep, these guys know what they're talking about. Your bullet meplat is so large that you don't have the spitzer point effect to start the bullet into the chamber. You MIGHT get something workable by playing with OAL, but I doubt it. You REALLY need a short point for reliable feeding, or a smaller meplat at the very least. Tell us the caliber, and we could make some specific suggestions.

white eagle
01-26-2011, 05:44 PM
the boolit sure is accurate enough
I single fed it and seems acuurate for sure that way
for the first dance
no pics but 20 rounds in 2"@50 yds
first powder charge and first attempt with any cast in that rifle and caliber
looks promising
I got the large meplat to smash woodland whitetails
accuracy is continual but signs of promise drift my way
I do have an idea bout the feeding issue and if it works I will let you all in on it
but for now thanks for the suggestions

Molly
01-26-2011, 07:21 PM
I do have an idea bout the feeding issue and if it works I will let you all in on it but for now thanks for the suggestions

I suspect you are about to start grinding away at the feed rails. Your gun, your choice and your decision, but I know of no better way for an amateur gunsmith to ruin a good bolt rifle than to start grinding at the inside of the feed rails.

waksupi
01-26-2011, 08:29 PM
I suspect you are about to start grinding away at the feed rails. Your gun, your choice and your decision, but I know of no better way for an amateur gunsmith to ruin a good bolt rifle than to start grinding at the inside of the feed rails.

Yep. I buggered one up doing that years ago. Just say no. If you must grind on something, always make it the cheapest, most easily replaced part. Followers are usually what needs changed.
If you can dismount the barrel, it is possible to reduce the right hand side of the chamber entrance and slick it up a bit, just be sure you do not go below the web area of the cartridge. Do that, you will be replacing the barrel, after you blow a few loads.
For deer hunting, you really don't need a huge meplate. They die easy.