PDA

View Full Version : aluminum mold

canuck4570
01-25-2011, 11:09 PM
I had a few Lee mold in my casting life but they didn't last long
the aluminum just wear down to fast, you clean them with a bronze brush and they get scored etc etc
I see group buy of aluminum and everybody seems delighted
are aluminum in a Lee mold much different than a top quality mold

BCall
01-25-2011, 11:18 PM
Why would you clean one with a bronze brush? I don't even do that to my iron molds. It's said all the time on this forum, if they are treated right, they will last forever. Maybe not the 2 cavity Lee molds, but any other I have will. And the 2 cavity Lees can cast more bullets than a lot of guys will ever shoot.

canuck4570
01-25-2011, 11:25 PM
how do you get stuck lead on the mold when you casted to hot and the sprue plate smears lead on the mold
on my stell mold I just brush gently and it goes away
I have mold that are over 30 years old and thousands of bullet cast with them and they are still like knew but each time I casted with aluminum (Lee) I ended up throwing them away after a few casting sessions
so is the aluminum much harder on these premium mold or what? or may be its me that needs to learn how to cast with aluminum mold

iron mule
01-25-2011, 11:27 PM
try using an old tooth brush hot soapy water and brake cleaner
that should add a couple years to the life of them
serious //// look at the stickies here about cleaning molds and you will get a lot of useful info that will help you on this
mule

stubshaft
01-25-2011, 11:28 PM
Try spraying the mold with Kroil. It helps remove the lead from the mould. As far as the sprue smearing goes a small application of Bullplate will cure that.

canuck4570
01-25-2011, 11:31 PM
mmmm will have to try these 2 ingredients
never did use anything on my steel mold
I guess will try a search on casting with aluminum mold
thanks for the info

btroj
01-25-2011, 11:44 PM
UAE some Bullplate and tou don't get much stuck on lead. Sould you get some on the mould face use a magnifier and a fine point probe or knife and carefully lift it off.
A bronze brush? Not on my moulds. I have many Lee moulds, use em a lot. Never have I thrown one away.

Blammer
01-25-2011, 11:54 PM
watch your casting temp, if it's too hot do the damp sponge tap to cool them down

use bullplate on the sprue to keep lead from sticking.

if it smears once, cool mould

use a pencil to "write off" the lead from the sprue or mould

there are a hundred tricks other than using an abrasive brush to "clean" a mould

sounds like several of your problems can be cured with a slight adjustment of proceedure in your casting.

peerlesscowboy
01-26-2011, 12:00 AM
how do you get stuck lead on the mold when you casted to hot and the sprue plate smears lead on the mold
on my stell mold I just brush gently and it goes away
I have mold that are over 30 years old and thousands of bullet cast with them and they are still like knew but each time I casted with aluminum (Lee) I ended up throwing them away after a few casting sessions
so is the aluminum much harder on these premium mold or what? or may be its me that needs to learn how to cast with aluminum mold
FWIW, you're not alone, my experience with aluminum LEE moulds is pretty much the same as yours. I can't imagine why they'd make mould blocks out of aluminum except perhaps the cherries don't wear out as fast?

John C. Saubak

canuck4570
01-26-2011, 12:04 AM
I will buy a LEE mold and see before buying a expensive custom aluminum mold
trying your method
but if its a PITA in doing that doing this just to get them to cast bullets
I will stick to steel
thank for info

stubshaft
01-26-2011, 12:39 AM
They (Lee) moulds aren't necessarily a PITA. It takes a different method of caring for them and casting with them. Buying them prior to getting a custom mould is a good idea but a custom mould does not necessarily mean that they will cast better boolits.

Dale53
01-26-2011, 01:08 AM
Aluminum moulds will NOT withstand "hamhanded" care. However, with a minimum of care, they will last nearly forever.

If someone left an iron mould outside and it rusted from the rain, no one would excuse the operator of carelessness or blame the mould. Running a bronze brush over an aluminum mould is just as bad (bronze is many times harder than aluminum).

Stop blaming equipment for YOUR shortcomings and you'll be MUCH happier in the long run. When I have a problem, I first blame ME. Generally, that's where the fault lies. Sometimes it turns out to be the equipment but often it is a simple matter of learning what it takes to make things work and work well.

FWIW
Dale53

btroj
01-26-2011, 08:42 AM
+1 Dale.
The Lee mould is a tool. Like any tool it should be used properly and cared for. Take care of your responsibilities and all is good. Abuse your tools and they will soon fail on you.
I find it interesting that the vast majority of us have no trouble getting Lee moulds to last for years, not just a few casting sessions, yet others claim they are disposable. What are we doing that makes them last? Yep, care in use and paying attention to details. Over time the same forms of abuse that destroy an Al mould will damage any iron mould too.
It is up to you to care for your tools. Do so and they will provide years of service. Never blame a tool for your shortcomings in proper use of said tool.

mold maker
01-26-2011, 09:53 AM
I've got quiet a few LEE 1&2 cav molds that have seen many years of service. I've never discarded one. Just remember your dealing with a soft metal and treat it genital. A soft tooth brush with soapy water is as abrasive as I get. Bull Plate is our best friend to keep everything moving and mating. If you get lead smears on the sprue plate or top of mold, your cutting the sprue too hot. Using the wet rag, or just patients will solve that.
If ya treat them like a fine lady, they'll return the favor.

Blammer
01-26-2011, 10:09 AM
If you buy a Lee mould and then use that to judge other aluminum moulds.

go to the grocery store buy some apples, eat them and then tell me how the oranges taste.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-26-2011, 10:29 AM
I will buy a LEE mold and see before buying a expensive custom aluminum mold
trying your method
but if its a PITA in doing that doing this just to get them to cast bullets
I will stick to steel
thank for info

any aluminum mold requires much more delicate care
when it comes to cleaning. that's why preventative
measures are important, so you don't have to clean them.
like using a sprue plate lube, like Bullplate
is used to prevent lead spearing on top of the blocks.
also, If boolits are sticking in cavities, read the Lee-menting
sticky on how to polish the cavities.
Yes aluminum molds are kinda a PITA.
but there are benefits to them too.

If your not willing to change your routine,
following your own advice will be your best bet.

"I will stick to steel"

songdog53
01-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Clean Them? I just lube them from time to time and smoot them with matchs or candle and keep pouring. They will get too hot but easy way to cure that is keep another mold of different caliber you shoot and pour those boolits till they get hot and then swap back. They will not stand the hammering stell will but they will last aslong as you try to take some reasonable care of them. I use them and Lymna and RCBS and they pour just fine for me.

Wayne Smith
01-26-2011, 11:41 AM
To another point, the alum. used by Lee and that used by the custom makers on this site are very different animals. Lee uses a very soft alloy for their molds and they do require a very light touch. That being said, I would not use bronze on any alum. mold.

stubshaft
01-26-2011, 03:10 PM

go to the grocery store buy some apples, eat them and then tell me how the oranges taste.

That's a good one Blammer. ;-)

fredj338
01-26-2011, 04:50 PM

THi sis very true. Lee uses a very soft alumimun, more sutiable for beer cans than bullet molds IMO. With careful handling they will last quite a awhile. Not my fav, but get a good 6cav, it's easier to work w/ than a 4cav iron mold.

MT Gianni
01-27-2011, 10:04 PM
I find that most leading comes off cold with a #2 pencil using first the graphite, then the wood, then the eraser. Hot a quick wipe with a cotton glove or burlap works great.

Cowboy T
01-27-2011, 11:40 PM
Bronze brushes on an aluminum mould? Not a good idea. Don't do that. It'd be like using a tungsten carbide "brush" on an iron mould and then wondering why you've got scratches all over your mould.

I just got through with a casting run with Lee's 6-cavity 358-105-SWC. This mould now has 25,000 boolits on its clock. This is in a year and a few months' time. The mould is still goin' strong. I see that I will eventually have to replace the little spring-washer that holds the sprue plate down tight to the mould blocks, but so what? That's what, maybe a buck? No problem. Heck, even if the entire mould had broken by now (it hasn't), look at how much money I've saved already with this mould. 25,000 boolits and *still* going strong!

I just started a run with Lee's 430-200-RF 6-cavity mould for use with .44 Special. This mould has gotten almost no use since I've owned it (this is now changing). Like with the 358-105-SWC, it's easy to use and easy to make lots and lots of very good boolits with it.

MtGun44
01-30-2011, 12:54 AM
Gotta be a bit more sensitive to the materials! If you used a bronze brush on your
teeth would you be saying that gums are no good, too fragile?

Yes, aluminum molds are soft, but given reasonable care they last a very long time.

Bill

Lloyd Smale
01-30-2011, 06:30 AM
I too am not a big fan of aluminum molds. When im casting im looking for production and dont want to have to worry about babying a mold. I much prefer steal or brass molds. that been said theres a big differnce in lee molds and the others. The lee 2 cavs are for the most part throw away junk to me. The six cavitys are a bit better. LBTs are a bit better yet and BABORES are the best aluminum molds ive used. Especially with the BaBores if you use bullshop lube on them religously they seem to hold up. Lbts arent bad either but his pin design isnt quite as good and the pin holes tend to get beat up. Babore uses steel inserts in both sides of the mold. Also verals spruce plates suck in my opinion. I dont think i have an lbt that isnt chewed up on top. Thats one of the biggest pitfalls to an aluminum mold. To get good bullets you have to run them HOT and they tend to smear lead on the spruce plate and that gouges the mold blocks.