PDA

View Full Version : Officially on the dark side

GrumpyFinn
01-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Hello all,

I just joined a few days back, been lurking around for a while, and I must say, what a great site.

Anyhow, I'm officially on the dark side like I said earlier, meaning,

0. Went to local tire shops and got some (200lb) WW.
1. I took a perfectly good fish fryer and turned it into a smelter
2. Took some flashing and made it into a heat shield/wind breaker
3. Stole my wife's good cast iron pot and used it to melt my first batch of lead before she came home, well, too late. She still hasn't noticed a few other utensils missing from the kitchen.
4. Have since separated and melted all the WW I had into ingots
5. bought a RCBS pro-melt and some other stuff
6. Received my bullet mold (wrong size, but who cares) and finally made my first cast boolits today.

[smilie=w:[smilie=w:

It's a good thing I'm "saving" all this money by rolling and casting my own ammo, I can go and buy another gun for the mold I received.

I guess I can say I'm hooked.

Maineboy
01-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Dark side!!? I think you're on the bright side! Welcome!

454PB
01-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Welcome to the forum.

You'll know you're really on the "dark side" when you start walking around parking lots eyeing those big wheelweights.

beagle
01-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Yeah, the dark side is where they shoot those J word bullets./beagle

stubshaft
01-25-2011, 10:41 PM
It's a good thing I'm "saving" all this money by rolling and casting my own ammo, I can go and buy another gun for the mold I received.

You have MONEY? Go down to the Group Buy page. That'll take care of that problem.

Welcome

LabGuy
01-25-2011, 11:09 PM
Dark side, no, you have seen the light.

fryboy
01-25-2011, 11:16 PM
i have a feeling that soon you will learn why they call the significant other "SWMBO" ..other than that it sounds like you're off to a good start !

jmsj
01-25-2011, 11:19 PM
GrumpyFinn,
Welcome to Castboolits!!
You think you have it bad now, just give it a while. This boolit casting is addictive stuff.
Good luck, jmsj

smoked turkey
01-25-2011, 11:29 PM
Put on your seatbelt because it is going to get better and better. I have to warn you we are a bunch of enablers so don't expect any help here with your new found addition.

*Paladin*
01-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Welcome! Yeah, this stuff is truly addictive! In just a few short months of hanging out here, I've managed to squirrel away nearly 1K lbs of lead and have casted probably over 1000 230gr .45's. I have spent a few afternoons digging and sifting dirt for boolits and a few days hitting every tire shop in the phone book! I've become a desperate man, constantly in search of galena...

prs
01-25-2011, 11:41 PM
The Darkside in shooting is already the recognized domain of those who partake in the pleasures of true gunpowder, the Holy Black melding of salt peter, sulfur, and charcoal. Although many Darksiders are boolit casters, relatively few boolit casters are Darksiders.

prs

peerlesscowboy
01-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Thank God for out'a balance tires, without 'em we'd have to find another source of lead :coffeecom

Southern Son
01-26-2011, 02:33 AM
Whenever I point out to my missus that she isn't really "saving" money when she buys a new pair of shoes that she did not need that were "discounted" by 50%, she brings up my casting and having to buy new moulds, etc. I try to explain the difference to her, but women just can't seem to understand the difference.

Grumpy, you are a brave man stealing your wifes cooking stuff, if I got caught doing that the repercussions would be horrible.

big dale
01-26-2011, 03:12 AM
I you are gonna keep stealing your wife's cookware, you better put her favorite jeweler on your speed dial.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

steg
01-26-2011, 04:22 AM
+1 with stubshaft. LOL

GrumpyFinn
01-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Took a look at "group buy" page, scary, but sort of good way....

big dale, she's got a jeweler, the bad part is, it's me, the good part is, she wears the stuff until somebody wants to buy it. Now if I could find a cheap source for those SHOES.

Wayne Smith
01-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Grumpy, as prs said you don't get to the "dark side" until you start loading cartridges with the Holy Black. You are now on the practical side. When you look at the price of bullets, much less loaded ammo, you realize, and can reasonably explain, how much money you are saving!!

songdog53
01-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Welcome and have found dark side is addictive and will keep u busy makeing boolits and shooting more. Have to say brace man to be stealing her favorite pots. She will catch on and then you be replacing them plus interest but welcome and be safe and beware the tinsel fairy.

Doby45
01-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Also remember that once you use some "kitchen" stuff, it never goes back near the kitchen. May sound like a "duh" comment but I assure you there are people that have borrowed an item and figured they could return it later.

dragonrider
01-26-2011, 01:10 PM
"Stole my wife's good cast iron pot and used it to melt my first batch of lead "

Wow you live dangerously. :)

Moonie
01-26-2011, 02:05 PM
You know my SWMBO brought up the theft of an old pot a couple of days ago. Now said pot was old, had no lid and I'd been planning on replacing it anyway. It was a very cheap pot with a very scratched up non-stick surface, this was a truly throw-away pot that had exceeded its life expectancy.

Now keep in mind, I do 95% of the cooking. While she was pulling my chain I suddenly remembered, this was MY pot that I had before we got married and she hated the thing.

Yup, just pulling my chain because she can, she much prefers the new SS pot WITH lid that replaced the old one that is now used for making boolit lube...

peerlesscowboy
01-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Grumpy, as prs said you don't get to the "dark side" until you start loading cartridges with the Holy Black. You are now on the practical side. When you look at the price of bullets, much less loaded ammo, you realize, and can reasonably explain, how much money you are saving!!
I know guys who shoot "the holy black" that buy their boolits, some I suspect even buy swaged lead bullets..........are they more purist than one who casts his own & uses smokeless?

home in oz
01-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Sounds like the broad path many of us have followed

mroliver77
01-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Since everybody that knows me knows that I am a tightwad and will take most anything that is free we have always had surplus cooking utensils around the place. I have a 35X 60 old style barn with a mows that hold no bales any longer. Surplus items too "nice" to throw away end up there. Mowers, pumps, motors, engines, steel, furniture, bicycles, car parts, plows, well just imagine and it is there. When scrap prices go way up I usually do some "inventorying" and take a load or three in. All this to say I have never had to "conscript" a utensil for the cause. Even when I was married the wife would send stuff to the barn for me to put to use.
I am always glad to see another become more self sufficient so welcome aboard. And about this not being cheap, If one buys decent equipment the resale value is always there. If it is taken care of sometimes it will sell for more than the original investment. Shoes are consumables and most don't even get worn out.
Jay

x101airborne
01-26-2011, 05:57 PM
You must work on computers. No one else starts a numeric list at 0. LOL

x101airborne
01-26-2011, 06:01 PM
BTW...... SWMBO means.... She Who Must Be Obeyed. I didnt know this for months. Then someone b*ch*n bout acronyms listed it. Big "OOOHHHHH, thats what that meant".

GrumpyFinn
01-26-2011, 06:52 PM
You must work on computers. No one else starts a numeric list at 0. LOL

I was on my phone while doing the list, I just didn't want to do the whole list again so I numbered it 0. Somehow being outside at the moment was better than being inside, something about missing ladle, I don't know.....

6.5 mike
01-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Hooked another one, welcome [smilie=1: