PDA

View Full Version : changing a rn to a rnfp and a hp. in .32

buck1
01-25-2011, 09:15 PM
I have been playing with my Nagant 1895 revolver. I had bought the Lee 6 cav RN (wanted a swc or at least a FP but No 6 cav options) mold and am starting to make the converted 32-20 based cart behave.
I size in a RCBS LAM 1 and didnt have the top punch for it.
I went to the local lumber shop and selected two 1/4 steel dowell pins about a inch or so long. I cleaned up one end to true and smooth, and gently sized the RN boolit fine. Then I sized it again with a little added pressure and presto a RNFP!
Felling proud of myself I chucked the other spare pin in a drill press and got my hand grinder after it. I put a point on one end and polished it. I sized another .32 Lee boolit with the pointed top punch. And with a little extra push(not that much) I was makeing HPs.
I magic markered a line on the sizer ram and could make the same profiles over and over. Total cost 80 cents! These run BHN 14ish.
I want to rig up a "STOP" for the ram so they will be all exactly the same. I think I may size to my marked line and measure the distance between the die and the ram and trim that from the back side if the top punches.
.....Buck

patsher
01-25-2011, 09:42 PM
Good job, BUCK!!

Now if I could figure out a way to.... hmmm .... maybe I can make that little long-snouted RN 115 gr. into a FN for the .380 .... hmmmm

happy7
01-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Try using like a 429 top punch for the flatpoints. It will not enter the die, so you will get a positive stop, and so a consistent flat point.

leadman
01-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Hollowpointing with the lubersizer was in one of the magazines this month. Might be Handloader, will have to check.
I have changed the profile of many bullets in the L/S. happy7s' idea with a larger top punch works fine as I have used this before.
If you make something similar to the Lyman gascheck seater to the length you want it should woek fine. I have stuck bolts in the same position and used some bullet lube to keep them in place.
We were not the first to do this as I think it was in the early 40s or 50s it was in an American Rifleman magazine.
Good job though!

buck1
01-25-2011, 11:44 PM
WOW I have to look for that! How often we reinvent the wheel.

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-26-2011, 01:59 PM
flat nosing . . .