PDA

View Full Version : star sizer bleeding on nose of bullet

jixxerbill
01-25-2011, 09:00 PM
ive tried many diffrent heat settings and lubes , but i still get a small dab of lube on the nose of all my bullets ??? its in three spots where the holes are in the die like its overcharging the lube groove and when the bullet passes the by the holes it escapes behind the bullet and sticks to the nose of the next one..... i bought the sizer used so i have no directions cept for whats on the website... i have the magma air feed attachment and i use heated lubes (favorite is carnuba red) with a heater and a homemade light dimmer to adjust heat.... is there any adjustments on the machine so when u full stroke it , it puts less lube into the die ??? thanks in advance for any input...bill

btroj
01-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Have you tried going either deeper or shallower with the punch? And just a tiny bit. Like 1/16 to 1/8 turn.
The Star can be a bit tough to learn at first. Took me a few months, and a desire to make it work, to figure things out. Learning curve lots steeper than the Lyman.
try different settings, etc. You will find something that works. I will say that I find lower heat, higher pressure reduces my nose dotting as I call it.

jsizemore
01-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Reduce your heat.

454PB
01-25-2011, 11:07 PM
There are two pressure adjustments. The first one is the reservoir pressure that you have converted to air pressure. The second is the stroke adjustment on the handle linkage. Screw it out to increase the pressure/flow and inwards to decrease it.

However, it sounds like your problem is either adjustment of the boolit punch, excess heat, or finally the need to plug some of the lube holes in the die. Some boolit designs don't match the die design, applying lube over too much of the boolit length. You can buy dies custom made to fit the boolit design, but plugging unneeded holes is more cost efficient.

bhn22
01-25-2011, 11:45 PM
Agreed. You need to juggle your lube temp & the feed pressure a bit. As your sizer gets warmer, you need a little less pressure to feed lube lube your bullets.

cheese1566
01-26-2011, 09:38 AM
I had the same trouble when I first set mine up.

I set mine at 30PSI at 120 degrees (for the Magma Hard Lube). Lars Carn Red will probably be lower.

Experiment to find what works best, but remember, it takes a while to level the temps when making adjustments.

songdog53
01-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Not a real old hand with Star as so many here are but sounds like too much heat and pressure.

jsizemore
01-27-2011, 06:34 PM
I use a digital meat thermometer with the probe stuck under the spring/brass bushing at the pump. When it hits 88 deg I start lubing/sizing. 90deg is about perfect and 92deg starts to get a little runny with Lar's Carnuba Red. Got the thermometer at Walmart for about $15. I use the aluminum plate/clothes iron heater.