PDA

View Full Version : Lee PRO 100 Question

gsdelong
01-25-2011, 04:21 PM
I am thinking about buying a Pro 1000 and have a question.

Currently I have all my pistol brass sized and primed and ready to load.

If I were to purchase a Pro 1000 would I be able to use the 1000s of cases I already have sized and primed, or would the fact that I am trying to skip a couple of steps cause issues?

Ideally I would like to be able to charge, seat bullet and use a factory crimp die as the 3 steps performed on the press.

As an additional question would I be able to use the case feeder to feed the already primed cases?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

Norseman
01-25-2011, 05:16 PM
It can be done, but it's not the optimal setup.

1. You have to find a way to fasten the chain for the powder measure in the carrier in station one. I'll guess it can be done if you tinker a bit with it.

2. You have to have the bullet inserter die in station 2 i.e. the back right position. If you're right handed, it'll be very akward.

You can use the case feeder.

I would either remove the decapping pin in the sizer die or the entire sizer die and run it as normal (without primers in the tray).

Suggestions have been made as to skip the FCD for handgun boolits, as they can size down the boolit when used.

Regards from Norway

troyboy
01-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Hello. 1 remove shell plate carrier and then remove the shellplate. When that is done you need to remove the primer punch. re assemble and re install. #2 your powder measure needs the other arm and spring installed. When this is done the measure can be installed on your powder thru expander in station 1. Station 2 will have the seater die and 3 your fcd. The case feeder will work as normal. Check out lee's site for the arm and spring for the powder measure to eliminate the chain. If you have a "non progressive" auto disk it will already have the arm and spring instead of the chain. HTH

desteve811
01-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Leave first station empty (no sizer/recapped die) and leave primer tray empty and u should be good to go

Mike Kerr
01-25-2011, 09:14 PM
I have done it but it is awkward. First as posted you will have to rig a spot for the chain to pull againist - not hard and can be done two ways OR get the spring attachment and don't use the chain . Second, you have to reach behind the press to seat "semi blind" in station two and make sure your case sensor for the primer punch is out of the way (obviously no primers in tray) . Third, you can place FCD in station 3.

When I did it, I found you still have pretty good speed but I took of the case feeder off where I would have one less operation to oversee BECAUSE the spring operated powder return in NO 1 is not as relaible as the chain ( rig the chain) and BECAUSE the case sensor for the priming punch must be dis abled so that BULLET SEATING is all that is going on in No 2.

In other words I found I really had to watch station 1 and 2 to make sure I was't spilling powder or letting anything interfere with the operation of the index rod/ratchet/plate to die alingnment etc . Then it ran pretty darn quick.

regards,
:-):-):-)

evan price
01-26-2011, 07:16 AM
You are way overthinking it.

The Lee factory crimp die is only needed if you have something out of spec in your reloading process- or your gun has a very tight match chamber.
I have never used an FCD and have never seen the need to use one. I have used a Pro-1000 for years!
No need to remove the primer seater pin.
Assuming we are talking straight wall pistol cases, just remove the decapping stem from the sizing die. Set everything up normally otherwise.
Let the press run automatically. Use the case feeder and shell collator funnel. Charge the case in sta #2, seat/crimp in sta #3, and good to go.

mike in co
01-26-2011, 01:38 PM
( atleast he got the name right..a pro 100.....lol)

gsdelong
01-26-2011, 09:51 PM
Thank you for all the insights.

Greg

geargnasher
01-26-2011, 10:45 PM
I just ran 500 sized-primed .45 ACP through mine night before last, dumped 'em in the collator, pulled out the sizing die entirely, and emptied the primer chute. The FCD is a ***, throw it away. If your brass is prepped properly you won't need to seat-crimp in two operations 95% of the time, even with roll-crimps. The primer punch doesn't hurt a thing, leave it in. If you have to crimp in a separate operation, how much time does it take to go zing them all through a crimp die in the single stage?

Gear

Cowboy T
01-27-2011, 01:59 AM
( atleast he got the name right..a pro 100.....lol)

Yep...because it's 100 times better than that Dillon junk you use. :mrgreen: :kidding:

Cowboy T
01-27-2011, 02:02 AM
+1 to just leaving the first station open. The Lee FCD is not necessary. I used to think it was, too, but 20,000 rounds of .38 Special on a Pro 1000 have taught me otherwise. What you really need to do is ensure that your boolits are the proper spec to begin with, and that means proper sizing.

gsdelong
01-27-2011, 09:35 AM
I have always used the fcd so that I can adjust the bullet seating depth separate from the crimp. I would think this depends on if you only load one boolit type per caliber, so you do not have to adjust between change overs. Once again thank you for all the input.

Greg