PDA

View Full Version : Wooohoo! Lead and cast iron pot!

steve in kc
01-25-2011, 12:45 PM
My dad told me a couple of weeks ago that he finished his plumbing job on his house and had about 50lbs of lead pipe for me! :) He had a fellow co-worker that had asked him while he was working on his bathroom project if any of his pipe he was removing was lead. He replied "sure is, and my son's getting it for making bullets!"

Then he calls just minutes ago and asked if I was still looking for a big cast iron pot to smelt in. I said yes! He tells me that he found one for $12 AND it's 50% off senior citizen day at the thrift shop he's at. Up until now, I've been smelting in a SS 2qt sauce pan. YES it is a MAJOR PITA!

Not a bad investment for $6!

Works out even better because I had no idea how I was going to melt down several large elbows in that little pot!

beanflip
01-25-2011, 12:57 PM
The addiction has started ....... beware you can't get enough!!!!

steve in kc
01-25-2011, 01:12 PM
The addiction has started ....... beware you can't get enough!!!!

oh the addiction has been around for a year. I'm sadly (happily) hooked. Problem is, there are only two scrap yards out of 20+ in the KC area that will sell lead to the individual and they all want $1/lb. If I'm going to pay that, I'd rather send my money to someone here and get it already igotized and fluxed. :)

Tire shops already have a dedicated customer base for their lead :(

jsizemore
01-25-2011, 03:07 PM
It's amazing how well cast iron, lead and heat go together.