PDA

View Full Version : Does the 91/30 have a 5-round mag?

joelpete
01-25-2011, 11:35 AM
I've only had my MN for a couple of months, and only taken it to the range once so far, but I can't seem to be able to get 5 rounds in it unless I chamber one. So, is it truly a 5-round magazine, or is it really a 4+1? If it is a 5 rounder, has anyone else run into this same issue?

rhbrink
01-25-2011, 12:26 PM
I can get 5 rounds in the magazine in my MN but it's well broke-in.

bruce drake
01-25-2011, 02:03 PM
It's supposed to be a 5 rounder. You may have some difficulty fitting a 5 round in if the interupter spring is new. It was designed with that spring to keep the extra rounds in the magazine without the rims cross-loading themselves.

EOD3
01-25-2011, 10:44 PM
The cartridge "stack" is important. Make SURE each round you put in has the rim forward of the rim of the round already in the magazine. :idea:

WineMan
01-26-2011, 12:55 AM
I read a post somewhere that in the Mosin stripper clip, the rounds should be like a wedding cake: the end rounds touching the stripper, the inner ones, over the rims of the outer rounds and the center over the rims of the inner rounds. Kind of like this:

_-^-_

I tried it and it seemed to work fine and I did not have to watch which way I put in the stripper clip.

Wineman

rhbrink
01-26-2011, 05:33 AM
joelpete, maybe you just being too nice to it, it ain't use to that I've seen the old WW 2 films of the Russians fighting the Germans beating the bolt closed probably get them down and stomp on them a time or two the Mosins I mean, I would guess they stomped on some Germans too as soon as they got them whipped.

Three44s
01-27-2011, 01:06 AM
Yeah, there was a bunch of stompin' going on "over there"!

First it was the Germans try .......... then the Russkies had their "day"!

I can only get four rounds in the basement of my M38 .......... I'll have to pay attention to what EOD3 posted about keeping each successive rim in front of the previous one.

Three 44s

joelpete
01-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks all,

I'll keep an eye on the rims. If that doesn't work out, I'll drive my truck over it a few times.

I'm really looking forward to above freezing temperatures...

3006guns
01-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Uhhh........I don't think you understand. The MN 91/30 was DESIGNED to work in sub zero weather! Every WWII documentary I've ever seen shows the Russian soldiers in snow, knee deep to a tall camel. Why, it's the only type of conditions where the rifle will function! Oiling, fondling and proper care will only confuse the poor thing!

(Well, okay.....maybe I'm stretching it a bit.......)