PDA

View Full Version : Working the lead mine.

clodhopper
01-25-2011, 02:47 AM
With some time on my hands and the weekend blessed with a big honeydo, toay I drove out to the lead mine.
This place is beautiful, locked members only gate, every hundred yards or so there is a berm where 1800 paying people sit back with their rifles and gleefully inject lead day in and day out.
One bullet goes in the berm, and two get dug out by the impact.
I pulled up this morning at 9Am the sun was shining and nobody was there!
Drove out to 300 meters where big ole nuggets spit from 45 cal rifles just sit on top of the ground.
Got about a gallon and a half before another shooter showed up.
So out came the stapler and a target, got some nice 3" groups at 300 and every time I went out to mark the target another handfull of those hefty tin containing nuggets.
Went home with a little over two gallons.

*Paladin*
01-25-2011, 08:31 AM
Good harvest! I went out last weekend to a spot on public land where folks go shooting on public land and with my shovel, sifter and a couple hours time I ended up with about 10 lbs. I wish we had a "range" around here that I could mine. All we have is BLM land (don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining!) but the problem is folks just shoot wherever, instead of into one spot I can pick later...

smokemjoe
01-25-2011, 09:59 AM
I went to a police range back in the 60s, Before anyone showed up, I had 2- 5gal. bullets about 3/4 full, All 38&45 cast lead bullets.

clodhopper
01-25-2011, 11:29 AM
I went to a police range back in the 60s, Before anyone showed up, I had 2- 5gal. bullets about 3/4 full, All 38&45 cast lead bullets.

Back then the alloy was probably all linotype!

Jal5
01-26-2011, 12:27 AM
You have the right idea. Every time I go to a range I try to bring home a lot more lead than I deposit!

Joe