PDA

View Full Version : Sticking Scale

Ickisrulz
01-24-2011, 08:39 PM
I have a 502 RCBS scale that's 20+ years old. It sticks a little when I use it. I have cleaned the pivot blocks and blades (no lube) but it still wants to stick from time to time. It just takes a nudge to get it to swing and balance out, but I'd prefer it didn't stick. Any tips?

Pressman
01-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Are the knife edges centered on the frame? If they are off side and rubbing on the frame it can stick.
Are the knife edges still very sharp?

Ken

Ickisrulz
01-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Are the knife edges centered on the frame? If they are off side and rubbing on the frame it can stick.
Are the knife edges still very sharp?

Ken

Everything looks centered and sharp.

Mk42gunner
01-25-2011, 10:34 AM
I have a 502 RCBS scale that's 20+ years old. It sticks a little when I use it. I have cleaned the pivot blocks and blades (no lube) but it still wants to stick from time to time. It just takes a nudge to get it to swing and balance out, but I'd prefer it didn't stick. Any tips?

Send it back to RCBS, they will repair or replace it. You paid for the guarantee when you bought the scale, use it. Or call them first, they might just send a replacement.

There is no sense taking chances of getting an overcharge of powder when it is so easy to correct the problem.

Robert

1hole
01-25-2011, 10:47 AM
As Pressman suggests, if the knives and bearings are clean, scale sticking is almost always due to the ends of the pivot shaft rubbing against the clips that retain the V blocks. Centering 'fixes' it.

liljohnnie
01-27-2011, 03:55 AM
Send it back to RCBS, they will repair or replace it. You paid for the guarantee when you bought the scale, use it. Or call them first, they might just send a replacement.

There is no sense taking chances of getting an overcharge of powder when it is so easy to correct the problem.

Robert
Ditto.Verbatim.

Calamity Jake
01-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Does the scale have a magnetic dampening system on it?

If it does then the end of the beam may be to close to the magnet causing it to stick.
The beam may be bent also.

DCM
01-27-2011, 10:40 AM

Robert

They may even tell you how to fix it eliminating your down time.

Wayne Smith
01-27-2011, 01:06 PM
I bought a 1010 off eBay last year. Got it cheap because the cover wasn't pretty. When I got it I found a very slow and inconsistent response - not good in a scale. Since it was an RCBS I packaged it up with a letter and sent it off, expecting a repaired scale.

Much to my suprise I got a new scale in the return mail. I ended up getting a new 1010 for less than $30 plus mailing back and forth.