PDA

View Full Version : Optical sight recommendations

Molly
01-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Hi Fellows,

I've reached the point that I just can't use iron sights very well any more. I can't even stay in the black on a 50 foot range. So it's time to recognize that reality has raised its ugly head, and start putting optical sights on at least a few of my handguns. So I'm looking for recommendations and suggestions. I don’t anticipate putting them on heavy recoiling pistols: A 357 Mag (S&W Highway Patrolman) or a lightweight .44 Special (Charter Arms Bulldog) would be top end possibilities.

I have a Red Dot scope on one of my pistols, but astigmatism converts the dot into a long tailed comet, which makes precision aiming impossible. New eyeglasses would probably take care of that, so I guess I'm needing specific advice on whether to go with a pistol scope (crosshairs type) or a Red Dot, and why. I'm concerned about parallax with either type, and would especially appreciate some guidance here.

I'd appreciate some specific suggestions. I've seen Red Dots advertised for less than $30, but I kinda wonder about durability / quality at that price range. I can't afford to spend several hundred on one either, but there should be something of reasonable quality for less than $100 to $150 tops.

I'd like something short enough to mount on the above Bulldog revolver without having the front lens shattered or coated by muzzle blast. Something along the line of a 1.5x to 4x variable with a good field of view would be great too. I know I'm asking for the moon. I'd like to come as close as I can to that, though I know I'll probably have to give up some of it. So if you can make a good recommendation of a 1x sight, that would be great too.

There are also some sights that I know almost nothing about like reflex sights. Can anyone comment on the suitability of sights other than crosshair scopes or Red Dots? Oh, one other thing: What size Dot should I be considering? 1/2 MOA, 5 MOA, or what?

Thanks for your time and council.

white eagle
01-24-2011, 09:50 PM
I have put a 30mm Ultra dot red dot sight on my 44 mag
seems to hold up good and its in the price range you are looking at
as far as the particular guns I don't know about them so won't comment
best of luck

fecmech
01-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Molly--Millet makes a small light weight 1" Red Dot with a 3 min red dot that can be found for about $70. They are about the most compact tube type sight( 1"tube X 4.3" about 4 oz.). I have been shooting them for about 10 yrs now on a K38 with standard loads(160@900 fps). I shoot Hunters pistol Silhouette in which I run the sight up and back each relay between the 25 and 100 yd targets. Always repeatable never lost it's zero. Last year after at least 8K-10K rds the internals failed. Called Millet and told them what happened and they said send it in they would send me a new one which they did for free. Hard to beat the warranty!
I have a Ultra Dot riding the slide on a .45, it cracked a lens after a couple years and was replaced free under warranty but they are more expensive.
I have a $29 BSA 30MM that's been on my .357 for a short time with no problems and is on my .22 target pistol where it works fine. None of these have any parallax and adjustments work OK.
I do not like the "J" point or any of the self adjusting brightness type Heads up models. They are generally too bright and can obscure small targets with chromatic aberration around the dot. Also at indoor ranges they will not be bright enough to find the dot unless the overhead lighting at the firing line is bright( sensor for the dot). Outdoors on big targets OK.
Other than for IPSIC type speed shooting I like the smallest dot I can get and then for bench or precision work turn it down as dim as possible for group testing. That also helps with the bigger 5 min dots. I would not recommend a scope with any magification at all for offhand shooting, you'll never pull the trigger! Hope this helps. Nick

44man
01-25-2011, 03:20 PM
I love the Ultra Dots and even the .475 and .500 JRH has never harmed them.
Now about cracked glass, never put a ring over the glass. I use the front extensions and crank them on tight with a rubber strap wrench. Then I put the ring on that.
I have had Millet and Bushnell red dots pull the front lens from recoil on the .44. It is a prism and must be in the right position. I used steel bed to put them back in. Still working.
It would be great if they found a way to focus the darn things.
I don't know anyone making a 1X scope but that would be the very best. Even 2X will drive you nuts off hand.

mike in co
01-25-2011, 04:46 PM
molly....sounds like a catarac........
i have the same issues..one eye only...my shooting eye....

va is gonna fix it on feb 10th( a year after the issue was id'd)

the dots gonna be fuzzy till the eye is fixed......

mike in co

Frank
01-25-2011, 07:39 PM
44man:
crank them on tight with a rubber strap wrench
I picked up the strap wrench from Harbor Freight. Did you cut it to fit the tube, or coil it over? I don't want to crush the tube.

canyon-ghost
01-25-2011, 08:58 PM
If you wanted to go just a step further, right now, Midway USA has a Bushnell 3200 Elite pistol scope on sale for $209 ( regular price is $299). I'm sitting here reading the sale paper lol . Has 1" tube, handles up to a 454 Casull and 20" of constant eye relief (arms length). They are a 2-6 power Lifetime Factory Warranteed.

1-800-243-3220 or:
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=10&categoryId=11391&categoryString=657***

Frank
01-25-2011, 09:16 PM
canyon-ghost:
If you wanted to go just a step further, right now, Midway USA has a Bushnell 3200 Elite pistol scope on sale for $209 ( regular price is $299). I'm sitting here reading the sale paper lol . Has 1" tube, handles up to a 454 Casull and 20" of constant eye relief (arms length). They are a 2-6 power Lifetime Factory Warranteed.

The only problem with that is what if it doesn't hold up? Then you are out $200 and have to do it all over again. The Leupold 2 and 4 power, which are more, do hold up, as do the Ultradot tube sights.

ChuckS1
01-25-2011, 09:48 PM
I have the same problem as the OP and found the best solution was a Merit optical attachment. Lets me focus easily on the front sight as well as removing the "comet" effect on my UltraDots on my bullseye guns.

Here's what Jeff Quinn said about it.

http://www.gunblast.com/MeritOptical

Frank
01-25-2011, 11:49 PM
ChuckS1:
I have the same problem as the OP and found the best solution was a Merit optical attachment. Lets me focus easily on the front sight as well as removing the "comet" effect on my UltraDots on my bullseye guns.

Only problem with that is it makes a circular scratch on a new pair of lenses. Lenses can be expensive. Use it with an old pair of glasses.

realfisher
01-26-2011, 02:43 AM
if you want a long lasting scope and one that carrys a life time warrenty, go to leupold.
no other company has a better warrenty. you mail it in and they fix it or replace it free of charge.
plus only nikon has the closest quality in glass but still no comparable warrenty

44man
01-26-2011, 10:02 AM
44man:
I picked up the strap wrench from Harbor Freight. Did you cut it to fit the tube, or coil it over? I don't want to crush the tube.
I keep the rubber on the tube all the way around. It does not take much to tighten the tube, kind of a gentle amount of torque. It is only enough so the extension can't be turned by hand. Don't horse the fine threads.
I have done it by hand by holding the extension with a piece of inner tube to keep my hand from slipping.
Don't get carried away. Just tighten it.

Shuz
01-26-2011, 11:36 AM

http://www.gunblast.com/MeritOptical

I have used a Merit optical device for many years. I love it.

Frank
01-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Shuz:
I have used a Merit optical device for many years. I love it.
I wish I could say the same because that little plastic rubber contraption isn't cheap and now it's sitting in a drawer. But I'm glad it works for you. [smilie=l:

mike in co
01-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Shuz:
I wish I could say the same because that little plastic rubber contraption isn't cheap and now it's sitting in a drawer. But I'm glad it works for you. [smilie=l:

did not work for me either......
the idea is good just no good with me and my glasses

mike in co

Tatume
01-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Dear Molly,

I've been through a long and expensive set of trials with scopes, red-dot sights, the JPoint, and more. My results with traditional scopes have been the best, and I used the JPoint for several years with some satisfaction. However, carrying any of them is very cumbersome. As I am a hunter, I have gone back to the iron sights, and now wear Knobloch shooting glasses. They look funny, but there's nobody to see them as I hunt alone. With the magnifying lens lifted up, they are not in my way, and I just pull it down to shoot. It's not completely satisfactory, but it works.

Take care, Tom

44man
01-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Dear Molly,

I've been through a long and expensive set of trials with scopes, red-dot sights, the JPoint, and more. My results with traditional scopes have been the best, and I used the JPoint for several years with some satisfaction. However, carrying any of them is very cumbersome. As I am a hunter, I have gone back to the iron sights, and now wear Knobloch shooting glasses. They look funny, but there's nobody to see them as I hunt alone. With the magnifying lens lifted up, they are not in my way, and I just pull it down to shoot. It's not completely satisfactory, but it works.

Take care, Tom
Tell me about it, I just turned 73! [smilie=s: I don't hunt with a scope because most deer here show up when it is dim out. The scope is a black hole, no cross hairs and no deer through it. At this time in the morning and evening open sights have fallen off the gun too. This is where the red dot shines and is why the military has gone to them.
You can do all kinds of things to see sights better but you need the light of day when you hunt. 1/2 hour before and after sunset is too dark. Only a rifle scope with a large objective will work.

scrapcan
01-28-2011, 02:39 PM
molly and others,

if you have not read the stuff written by Dr. Norman Wong, it may be worth your time. You may be able to make things bette by having your optometrist read it also.

here is a link

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html

Molly
01-28-2011, 06:15 PM
molly and others,

if you have not read the stuff written by Dr. Norman Wong, it may be worth your time. You may be able to make things bette by having your optometrist read it also. here is a link
http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html

Now THAT's solid information. Thanks a bunch!

Frank
01-28-2011, 09:03 PM
manleyjt:
if you have not read the stuff written by Dr. Norman Wong
The article claims, 'Troxler effect and oxygen deprivation' while bullseye pistol shooting? Maybe that's what's happening when 44man misses the shot on a deer. He gets sleep apnia, wakes up to make the shot and misses due to a shortage of oxygen. :kidding:

GabbyM
01-28-2011, 09:51 PM
At 55 I finally fell victim to aging eyes on a trip to the range with my daughter over the holidays.

Have heard of shooters using electricians tape with a hole punched in stuck over there glasses for an aperture. Not tried it out myself yet. Seams like poor mans fix which is right in my income bracket.

BOOM BOOM
01-29-2011, 12:31 AM
HI,
CATARACTS SUCK! Several years back I could not see a cardboard box at 80yds.
worth having them fixed.
Now I can hunt & shoot again.
Not as well as 30 yrs. ago , but at least as good as 10 yrs. ago.:Fire::Fire:

Shooter6br
01-29-2011, 12:54 AM
I have Ultradot 30mm on Single Six 22fr/22mag. Life time warranty. Read reviews on Midway sight. 'Buy the best you can afford and cry only once"

44man
01-29-2011, 09:57 AM
manleyjt:
The article claims, 'Troxler effect and oxygen deprivation' while bullseye pistol shooting? Maybe that's what's happening when 44man misses the shot on a deer. He gets sleep apnia, wakes up to make the shot and misses due to a shortage of oxygen. :kidding:
A bottle of Jack at hand prevents all of that! :bigsmyl2:
Actually I never stop breathing while I aim until the very last second near trigger break. I learned that long ago. Worked great for IHMSA.
Old age shakes are another thing, maybe some Jack would help! [smilie=l:

Frank
01-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Shooter6Br:
'Buy the best you can afford and cry only once"
Yeah,but sometimes you end up with a drawer full of the best. Then everytime you look at the drawer you keep crying. [smilie=p:

fecmech
01-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Old age shakes are another thing, maybe some Jack would help! [smilie=l:

Yeah it's a B***h! I've given up shooting one handed because it's not fun anymore. Fortunately two handed I can steady things down and shoot Hunters Pistol fairly well. Thank goodness for Dot sights, at least I can keep shooting for a while longer.

BOOM BOOM
01-31-2011, 01:09 AM
HI,
There are at least 6 threads that address this subject, scopes, red dots, and holosights. Do a thread search before you buy.
THAT YOU WILL NOT REGRET.
Lots of good info.
I chose a Burris Fast Fire on my 357, and a Ultra dot PAN-A-V ON MY 44.:Fire::Fire:

mike in co
01-31-2011, 02:40 AM
HI,
There are at least 6 threads that address this subject, scopes, red dots, and holosights. Do a thread search before you buy.
THAT YOU WILL NOT REGRET.
Lots of good info.
I chose a Burris Fast Fire on my 357, and a Ultra dot PAN-A-V ON MY 44.:Fire::Fire:

boom boom ...i think you missed the CASUE for his search...which has been answered HERE.

mike in co