PDA

View Full Version : Possible Group Bullet Idea....

dk17hmr
11-06-2006, 03:25 AM
Ideal did this with a 452 mold, only have seen one and it was on ebay went for $75 or something. Its a 2 alloy bullet mold, I can draw somethign up in CADD class tomorrow if there is any intrest.

Its kinda hard to explain basically cast the nose of the bullet with a soft lead with a rebated end. Once that is cast it fits in the full bullet mold and you cast hard alloy around it so you have the stank/drive bands hard with a pure lead tip.

I had in mind a .458 bullet somewhere around 400-450grs, with a big flat point around .390-.400", with the tumble lube grooves, and a gas check, very much like the last RanchDog mold.

Purpose of the bullet is for hunting, but with what I have in mind you could just cast normal bullets with the full cavity for practice and then the 2 alloy for hunting. I dont know if Lee would do it the 1/2 cavity and the full cavity in same block but that would be great, maybe a 6 cavity with 2 nose cavity and 4 full cavity.

dk17hmr
11-06-2006, 09:50 PM
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/3-1.jpg

Not the best drawing, suppose to be drawing a house plan so I was kinda rushed...basically the latest Ranch Dog but I made most of the measurements bigger so it would be heavier, I am guessin around 430-445gr with the gascheck.

Any in put?

Again this would be for making soft nose hunting bullets for 45-70, 450 Marlin, 458win. Like I said before Ideal made a mold like this before but I am pretty sure it was for target pistols, but I think it would work similar to a Nosler Partition.

Also let me say that the nose is cast in a seprate cavity (blue lines) then when casting the full bullet the nose slug would fit into the full cavity then harder alloy would be cast around the nose slug holding it in place.

crazy mark
11-07-2006, 01:25 AM
Lyman used to make such moulds. I have one for the 308291. I pour the nose section out of pure lead and while it is still hot I put it into the 308291 and pour in the WW. So far accuracy has been very good out to 100 yds. Mark