PDA

View Full Version : Case trimers

Doc - J
11-06-2006, 01:18 AM
Oh, since Im in a posting mood....what would be a good (cheap) case trimmer? I've notice that some of my brass is starting to get a little long and Im haveing a problem with feeding the 45 ACP (mixed brass and size could be the problem).

ssgt
11-06-2006, 09:28 AM
Oh, since Im in a posting mood....what would be a good (cheap) case trimmer? I've notice that some of my brass is starting to get a little long and Im haveing a problem with feeding the 45 ACP (mixed brass and size could be the problem).

I have used or actually own about every case trimmer out there, and Ive gotta say that LEEs case trimmers are ,IMO , the absolute best! Cheap, accurate and fast.

okiecruffler
11-06-2006, 10:27 AM
I like the Lees, used them for a long time. But if you're trimming alot of brass they get old quick. Hand fatigue becomes a real issue. I lucked onto a Forester trimmer at a gun show for 10 bucks. Sure made a big difference in speed.

Pepe Ray
11-06-2006, 12:55 PM
If your dealing w/only one or two ctgs/chamberings , the Lee's are great for the money BUT the aluminum shell holder wears out too quickly. The shell holder gap widens to where it no longer holds the case.
I've been using the Forster system for 35 yrs+/-. Works for me.
Pepe Ray

KYCaster
11-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Doc, The Lee system works very well for me, but like Okiecruffler said, hand fatigue can be a problem. The lock stud chucked in a drill and their ball handle cutter make it much more comfortable.

BUT.....if you're concerned about 45ACP, don't bother. I shoot lots of it and I've NEVER trimmed a case and I can't recall ever seeing a feeding problem that would have been cured by trimming cases. I think you'll have to look elswhere for a cure.

Jerry

dragonrider
11-06-2006, 08:05 PM
I use my Lyman manual trimmer powered with a cordless drill. Does just fine.

Hunter
11-09-2006, 12:43 AM
I myself am partial to the Hornady case trimmer. That being said I cannot remember the last time I had to trim a .45 ACP case. You could have an extracter with a little too much tension, or a burr on the breech face that is contributing to your failure to feed. I would also give the feed ramp and barrel throat a look to be sure there is no left over machine marks.