PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever dealt with Seafab?

armoredman
01-24-2011, 05:23 PM
The few deals I tried to do on getting more WW ingots fell through on my end, (not theirs, I screwed up), and coupled with the fact that I have no source of wheelweights or a smelting setup, I threw caution to the wind and hit the yellow pages. Jackpot. http://www.seafab.com/default.html
Seafab is 20 minutes from home, and carry certified 92/6/2 metal in 25 pound ingots for $2.03 a pound, or 62 pound ingots for $1.75 a pound, price adjusted first day of the month for market fluctuations. Given shipping costs, etc, this might work out not too badly, but I lack an appropriate saw for the big pig ingot to make it fit in my little 10 pound production pot. I think I will try the 25 pound ingot on payday, and see how it goes as Jami said it is cast in a way to break apart, I guess. Jami over there was VERY nice, friendly and helpful, and when I later looked up the webstie, I saw they do specific boolit swaging wire, too. Nifty.
Casters everywhere are waving ladles in my direction, but I can't mine the range berms, (belongs to the city), and I don't smelt, so this will have to be the way it works.
Thoughts?

Wayne Smith
01-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Cold chisel, big hammer, and a very niave helper to hold the chisel!

armoredman
01-24-2011, 06:29 PM
No, only helpers are wife and son, don't want either injured...wait, I'll get the DOG to sit on it, yeah!
Just kidding. I do have a small ripsaw I used to build target stands, wonder if that would help. Still haven't seen what the ingots look like.

markinalpine
01-24-2011, 06:58 PM
You might be able to set one of the pigs on something like a concrete block, with one end overhanging your ingot mold, then melt the end with a propane torch. Once you remove the flame, it should stop melting fairly quickly. Melt enough to almost fill one cavity, if you have a multi cavity mold, or swap in an empty mold, remove flame, adjust mold, start melting again, etc.
Mark [smilie=s:

armoredman
01-24-2011, 07:36 PM
I do have a small 4 place ingot mold, but certainly no propane torch, and that whole idea sounds a bit difficult to pull off safely. :) But thank you, I appreciate the idea.

Calehedron
01-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Missouri Bullet Co. says to use a Sawzall with Destructor blade to cut them up. Thats what they use when they sell the 62lb pigs.

On a side note, I am 10 miles north of Casa Grande and I may have to stop in to Seafab myself.

armoredman
01-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Excellent! I shoot at the CG range all the time. I will probably stop by Seafab this coming week. She did say since they really aren't a retail location they would have to open an account with me, no big deal for me. :)

How much is a SawZall anyway?

Edit to add, $200 at Walmart...guess that cold chisel and hammer is looking better.

AZ Pete
01-24-2011, 08:12 PM
check Craig's List for used sawzall or http://www.harborfreight.com/industrial-duty-reciprocating-saw-65298.html

fixerupper
01-24-2011, 08:44 PM
I use an old Milwaukee Porta-Band saw to cut up big ingots, lead pipe or lead sheet flashing. Works slick. Pricey when new tho, picked mine up for $5O at a garage sale.

armoredman
01-25-2011, 12:31 AM
I'll see what the ingots look like, because she said they were cast sort of in a string or line for handling, maybe they can easily be broken, have to see. :)
Too bad I don't swage, since they also carry that stuff, too.

cajun shooter
01-25-2011, 10:40 AM
I use a SAWZ all with that blade and it works very well although you do have small lead dust every where.

tonyjones
01-27-2011, 05:32 PM
I clicked on the link in post no. 1. Then click on pig lead and scroll down until you see the 25 lb. size ingots. You will notice the ingots are notched. You should be able to find a way to break the notched pieces off. If not, saw cut them where they are their thinnest.
Tony

Safeshot
01-27-2011, 11:45 PM
tonyjones is "right on". I used some similar 25 lb ingots, from a different source years ago. I hatchet or ax is all you need. Just "chop" it in the notch (one time "smartly") and then hit it with the "hammer end" of the hatchet or ax to "break" it into pieces. Might be an easier way but I do not know of one. You can also put it in a large solid bench vise (if you have one) and just break off the 5 lb. sections with a big hammer. Have fun.

lylejb
01-28-2011, 01:43 AM
How much is a SawZall anyway?

Edit to add, $200 at Walmart...guess that cold chisel and hammer is looking better

Not that I'm a fan of china, but

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/reciprocating-saws/6-amp-reciprocating-saw-with-rotating-handle-65570.html

Wont last like a real sawzall, but for $29, it doesn't cost like one either.