PDA

View Full Version : Noob getting into casting?

sven556
01-24-2011, 12:09 AM
I've never cast a bullet before but I want to start. I've read a lot here and the whole book "cast bullets for beginners and experts." I have bought cast bullets and loaded them with pretty good results, .75" at 50m out of my o3a3. I want to keep it simple and fairly cheap to start. trying to find a good plinking load for the same o3a3. What supplies should I buy to get me started? I'm thinking a lee 10 lb pot, lee 2 cavity mold, and lead alloy. using some type of homemade lube and I should be ok, right? Should I get a lyman m die?

Is the lee 311-100-2R a good mold for plinking at 100 yds and less from a 30-06? It's designed for 32 caliber pistols, but being plain base at .311" I'm thinking it should work better than the .309 "soupcan" gas check design. This will be a reduced load. The load will most likely be around 6gr of bullseye or I might work up a load using 2400.

Thanks,
sven

lwknight
01-24-2011, 12:43 AM
I would not buy the 10 pound pot because sooner than you think , its going to be too small and you will want a bigger pot anyway. JMO.

mooman76
01-24-2011, 12:56 AM
I agree with lwknight. It doesn't run much more for the 20# pot vs the 10 anyway. You might be able to hook up with someone that casts near where you live. One of the good things about casting is you can start out cheap and improvise allot. You can get the bells and whistles later on. Lee alox is a good easy lube to start out with or you can make your own as you said.

01-24-2011, 01:22 AM
Sven556,
Welcome.

I understand your desire to get started as inexpensively as possible, but keep a few things in mind. As mentioned, the extra money spent on Lee's 20-pound pot will pay off in very short order.

The same can be said for a mould. Yes, you may want to start with a plinking boolit, but, soon, you will want to up the velocity. Therefore, go with a gas checked design of proper weight for the caliber. My suggestion is the Lyman 311291. My '03-A3 loves it and Unique.

You will find that there are as many opinions as there are Cast Boolit members. Take them all to heart and make your decisions.

Mk42gunner
01-24-2011, 02:48 AM
Plain based will work for plinking loads, I do the same thing in my 30 and 31 caliber rifles.

For a heavier boolit I like Lee's 312-185 that they say is for the .303 British. Mine drops from the mold at about .313" using air cooled wheel weights, this allows sizing for most of the 30/31 calibers. Standard 30 cal gas checks fit it.

RObert

chris in va
01-24-2011, 04:43 AM
All of my reloading and casting equipment is el cheapo. Most of it is Lee as you get good results for a manageable price.

Get a Lee bottom pour pot, much easier and faster than using a ladle.

Lee has many molds for your '03...be sure to do your research and get a gas checked version.

To 'refine' my wheelweights, I just use a $10 hot plate and small cast iron skillet. To speed up the process I place a metal plate on top to keep in the heat.

You can go expensive, or more 'efficient' as I like to call it.

Wayne Smith
01-24-2011, 01:55 PM
If you are not sure you will like it find a heat source, Coeman double burner stove is fine, as is a hot plate with enough power, an old 1/2 or 1 qt kitchen pan, an buy a ladle from RCBS or Lyman. That and a place to do it that will contain the mess is all you need to start - oh, a damp folded old towel to catch them on.

The one thing absolute, get some bull plate sprue plate lube. It will make your casting much more enjoyable and productive. Go to the Bull Shop at the bottom of the page and order one of the round bottom bottles!

This is by far the cheapest way to go, you can find most of what you need at a thrift store. If you decide that this is the hobby for you start planning your investment. In the meantime you can use what you have to make boolits!

sven556
01-24-2011, 10:49 PM
ok, I went ahead and ordered a lee 20 lb bottom pour pot and a lee 170 gr flat point .309" double cavity mold. Of course right after I placed the order I thought about gas checks! Do I need a lee sizer to size and apply the gas checks?