PDA

View Full Version : cleaning question

garbear
01-23-2011, 11:10 PM
I was cleaning my revolver tonight and the brush scrubbed out wax. The thing that has me stumped is I last shot some j word 110 grain bullets last. only about 20 rounds. I usually only shoot cast boolits but figured the j word wouldn't hurt anything. I have never seen leading in this gun with the cast. The cast are lee 358-158RF sized to .358 straight WW. Am I doing something wrong if there is wax in the bore? I shoot a Ruger sp101. I have gone to pan lubing and can't remember the lube mix. My accrucy is better with cast boolits then the j word bullets I tried out.
Garbear

btroj
01-23-2011, 11:42 PM
Why were you cleaning it? And why a brush? I almost never clean my revolvers and a brush is even more rare.
I would not sweat it at all. Lube residue many? Did you run a wet patch first? If so, it would dissolve about any lube ingredient you are likely to find.

garbear
01-23-2011, 11:58 PM
Oh I don't know why I was cleaning it. It is Sunday I need something to do and the gun has had over 200 cast boolits through it since my last cleaning.

Yes wet patch always is first. I let i sit for maybe 5 minutes then run a brush the brush is on the hoppes bore snake. lube residue nothing to worry about then I wont worry about it. My bore cleaner is hoppes number 9.

btroj
01-24-2011, 09:12 AM
Are you sure it was wax? Wax should have dissolved in the bore cleaner. I will say that it was most likely lube left from the cast bullets. Shooting jacketed will not immediately remove all bullet lube. I will sometimes get a patch that picks up some lube and it looks like wax but not very much.
I would not worry about it. As long as things are shooting well, just got with it.

9.3X62AL
01-24-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm not the most religious of revolver cleaners, but I DO clean them pretty thoroughly if I'm about to switch between bullet types--jacketed to cast, or vice versa. Same goes for autopistols and rifles, for that matter. I'm not certain if this regimen does any good, but I doubt that it does any harm.

This is especially true when using Hoppe's #9 solvent. The stuff may not be the most aggressive cleaner on the face of the earth, but it won't hurt ordnance steel. If given suficient time, it will raise out copper fouling to some degree. My "J-word-only" rifles (Mini-14 and AR-15) get put away with a light moistening of Hoppe's to raise any copper fouling between firings. When a hunt or range day is pending, I swab them out--case them up--and go forth.

I seldom need to resort to bore brushes in my cast boolit firearms. I use a patch loop to lay on solvent, and patch jag of proper size to swab it out. Where brushes get the most usage is in a bore fired with j-words. Powder ash can build up heavily, and solvents often need a little help to scrub that stubborn **** out. Most of my rifles shooting J-words get swabbed every 20-25 rounds at the range, but that isn't always the case when hunting or plinking.

garbear
01-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Yes I am sure it was wax. It was soft not metal at all. I have maybe 50 more j word bullets to shoot. Then hopefuly one of the 2 molds I have coming will be here to try out some new cast boolits