PDA

View Full Version : Found a Marlin 1894 38 357

01-23-2011, 09:21 PM
I finally found one and would like to have a peep sight mounted on the receiver. Been looking at XS Sight Systems. Will the rear sight work with the factory front? Or is there something better to be had?
Thanks
Warren

docone31
01-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Use either the Williams, or Lyman Reciever sight. That and the stock front sight makes a mean combination.
Extended sight radius, very effective. Picks up fast also. In low light, just remove the aperature.

stubshaft
01-23-2011, 10:13 PM
I use an Ashley Ghost sight on my 1894' and 1895'. I use the stock front sight on the 357 because the bead is easy to pick up but changed it on all three of my 1895' for the insert with the vertical white bar. It gives me better accuracy and is easy to see in low light situations.

truckmsl
01-23-2011, 10:18 PM
I've got both the XS ghost ring set up and the XS scout scope rail. I have a scope with quick detach rings for load testing and use the ghost ring set up for general shooting.

The XS ghost ring set up includes a front sight that replaces the stock sight. The ghost ring is a great system but it is not a peep sight. With the ghost ring you focus on the front sight - the theory being that the ghost ring will automatically provide the most light in the center of the ring, and your eye will naturally center the front sight within it.

If you learn to use it this way, it's a great quick-sight-acquisition system that works remarkably well.

01-23-2011, 10:32 PM
I'll second the receiver sight and much prefer the longer sight radius it provides over the standard barrel sight. I had to put a taller front sight on my Marlin 94 357 carbine with the Lyman receiver if I wanted to shoot at less than 100 yards. The standard apertures provided in the Lyman receiver peep allows plenty of light and halo and is plenty for fast centering of the front bead.

btroj
01-23-2011, 10:35 PM
I used a Williams on mine, went to a smaller front bead too. The factory bead was just too big for me with that short barrel.
You are going to enjoy that rifle. A lot.

kelbro
01-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Check out the Skinner sights. I have one on my 357 and also my 44mag. I had to install taller front sights on both of them. Rugged, clean lines, look like they belong there. Shoot nice groups with the smaller aperture and remove it for hunting as a ghost sight.

Heavy lead
01-23-2011, 11:11 PM
I just bought my first Skinner sight, it was the non windage adjustable, lower sight, the front bead was the right height, however I did need to drift it slightly to the left to correct windage and chose to change the front bead to a 1/16th inch ivory while I was at it, the front ramp is only .25 wide, I replaced the bead with a .34 wide bead so the ramp won't go back on, which is fine as I would've taken it off anyway as I don't like the clutter, the sight picture is low enough so I had to remove the rear sight and install a blank in the dovetail as well.
I like the setup and rifle is a shooter. I think the Skinner I bought was 37 dollars as opposed to the more expensive windage adjustable one.
I received quick service from them also.

blackpowder man
01-24-2011, 01:27 AM
I like the Williams FP on my 336T.

excess650
01-24-2011, 07:41 AM
I have Redfield, Lyman, and Williams receiver sights on most of my LAs. I prefer the Redfields, but the steel Lyman is a good sight. While the Williams Fool Proof is an excellent sight, I just don't care for it being aluminum. The factory height front sight has worked with all of my Marlins, but some have been changed out in favor of 1/16" brass beads or green fiber optic.

My latest 1894c isn't D&T for a receiver sight, so will either get a Skinner, or go to the gunsmith to be D&T.

01-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Mine isn't drilled and taped on the left side like my 336. How do the Lyman and Williams receiver sights mount?

01-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Oops. No holes on left side? Either have to have the holes drilled and tapped or back to the drawing board. I'd think it is unusual not to come that way. There are barrel sights that have the ghost ring/peep but you'll lose the sight radius advantage of the receiver sight.

dgreen
01-24-2011, 09:46 PM
I believe there is a model that fits in the rear most scope base holes. May sit alittle higher also. Check out the williams website.

mack1
01-24-2011, 10:12 PM
I believe there is a model that fits in the rear most scope base holes. May sit alittle higher also. Check out the williams website.

there is a model thar uses the rear scope mounting holes, I have onr on my 1894 cowboy. You can have one
that mounts on top but will require a hammer spure if your thumbs are large or that looks like the side mounted version. I do not have the model numbers but I am sure they will be in brownells or the willams web site.

kingstrider
01-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Another vote here for Skinner sights. I have several for the 1894 and just got a fourth for a 336. They are compact yet fully adjustable. The only drawback is some have required a taller front sight.

PacMan
01-25-2011, 07:40 PM
I have the XS sight on my 357 and 44 mag.I took the apeature from a old lyman and epoxied inside the medium ghost ring of my XS sight on the .357and drilled out slightly. You can get a little of both sight pluses if you adjust the size of the hole.I can change out back to a full gost ring if i decide to.

dunkel
01-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Got a pic?