PDA

View Full Version : 6.5-06 cast load

FrankG
01-23-2011, 09:19 PM
I searched through and come up empty for loads with cast for 6.5-06. I have an NEI 130 grain mould Ive been using for the Swede and would like to try some in its big brother. I was thinking of splitting the difference for a similar cast bullet between the Swede and the 270 loads for a starting place . What do you fellers think ?
Anyone loaded cast for the 6.5-06 with any luck ?

FrankG
01-26-2011, 10:36 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm! Looks like I will be a Guinne pig again :Fire::Fire::Fire:

leadman
01-26-2011, 11:02 PM
I have a 6.5-06 but no 6.5 mold but why not start at the Swede load? you know it should be safe and you can work up. I haven't measure case capacity of either 6.5 but they should be fairly close.

Post your results as I am thinking of getting a mold for mine. It is a Mauser action with a 26" heavy barrel, 1in 10, Mcmillan heavy target stock, Timney trigger. Shoots well with jacketed but would like to try cast in it.

Newtire
06-06-2013, 11:17 PM
Hi Frank G. I would have thought that the 6.5-06 would have been a more popular choice. I am going to be playing with this one myself so maybe we could share a few notes. I have a Mauser 98 with a 24" barrel that another guy had built and I'm ironing out a few functional wrinkles in peparation for using it for deer this fall. I have an RCBS 140 grain silhouette mould and a Lyman Loverin style bullet that I don't have the mould for anymore. Going out to try out 10 loads each using 21 grains of SR 4759 as a start. I can work on this a little bit at a time and see if it is worth the effort. Keep me posted if you get any good loads worked up & I will do the same OK?