PDA

View Full Version : Tin

Taylor
01-23-2011, 08:03 PM
I think I may have found a source for tin.Small,but a source still yet.The wife colors her hair,use's Garnier.Part "B" nourishing color creme come's in a soft metal tube..like tooth paste does or did.It seems to be on the light side,but quite flexible.Is it possible that companies may still use tin for containers? I need to research this this some to find out.Do you suppose the folks at Garnier would confirm or deny this?

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Some of us Wino's save the "tin" foil cork seal...although most are plastic now.
But I still come across some "Tin" ones.
Jon

btroj
01-23-2011, 08:21 PM
I bet it is AL or something like that. I tried tubes like that in the bast. They did not melt no matter how hot the pot was running. A shame too as I have access to lots of empty tubes similar to that.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-23-2011, 08:55 PM
well, to be honest I haven't melted them yet.
But the few I have sure don't "feel" like AL.

I started saving them just before the holidays after another poster here said they were tin.
I've tossed hundreds in the trash in the last few years.
Jon

btroj
01-23-2011, 09:58 PM
I can't find any info that these tubes are made of anything but plastic or Al anymore. They were made of a tin based metal in the past but I would imagine the cost of tin makes this cost prohibitive. Industry is very good at cost reduction so I have a feeling the days of tin tubes are long since over.

Jailer
01-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Hit up you local radiator shop for some solder drippings. I got a bucket that netted me 22 lbs of 60/40 solder after it was smelted, cleaned and poured into ingots. That will sweeten LOT of lead.

sqlbullet
01-24-2011, 03:05 PM
I got a hundred pounds of pure tin and 95% tin 5% silver a few years back in a trade. I even sold some of it cause I don't think I will ever use it all.

beladran
01-24-2011, 03:59 PM
i lived in greenville ms all my life which is right along the Ms river.. dad told me back in the 70's a barge full of 60/40 solder was heading north to a new plant that was underconstruction and struck the bridge and sank. they never salvaged any of it because the stuff was so cheap back then. To my knowledge the barge is still sunk just past the bridge

probably hundred something tons of the stuff is in that old barge..

captaint
01-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Taylor - E mail them and ask. They'll tell you. Go from the standpoint that "it would be nice if it were really tin. enjoy Mike

*Paladin*
01-24-2011, 10:07 PM
i lived in greenville ms all my life which is right along the Ms river.. dad told me back in the 70's a barge full of 60/40 solder was heading north to a new plant that was underconstruction and struck the bridge and sank. they never salvaged any of it because the stuff was so cheap back then. To my knowledge the barge is still sunk just past the bridge

probably hundred something tons of the stuff is in that old barge..

Dang, why aren't you out there with scuba gear right now?!?!

lwknight
01-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Scuba might sound like a plan but , you gotts know that the missouri runs up tp 7 mph.
It has swirls that can swallow a small boat and keep it.

*Paladin*
01-25-2011, 12:32 AM
Life's full of risks! Hahahaha!!! I was just kidding. The Mississippi is so muddy I doubt you'd be able to see more than an inch in front of your face under water.

lwknight
01-25-2011, 12:53 AM
OK , I stink at geography. Is the Ms for missippi or missouri river?
And what is the other one.

*Paladin*
01-25-2011, 08:20 AM
MS is the abbreviation for Mississippi. MO is Missouri. I think the mighty Missouri river feeds into the Mississippi river in the vicinity of St. Louis? I used to live within 5 minutes of the Missouri (in Great Falls, Montana), so I can tell you where the headwaters are, but where it ends...

cajun shooter
01-25-2011, 10:36 AM
The mighty MO does flow into the Mississippi and helps give it it's muddy look by the time the river is in Mississippi and Louisiana. We also have a huge area where the the Mississippi meets the Gulf of Mexico that is void of all sea life. At times this area is larger than most states. It is caused by all the chemicals that runs off of farm land that border both rivers. They have big meetings about it every year as Louisiana supplies over 1 third of the nations seafood supply. I have always thought that the states that have the farms that cause the problem to start with should have a chair and a checkbook at these meetings. A friend of mine from years ago was a diver and told me that you could only hard hat dive and be tied off with safety lines as the current was so strong. That is why they never tried to recover that tin or at least that would be my guess.

Jim
01-25-2011, 10:54 AM
http://gomex.erma.noaa.gov/erma.html#x=-89.76379&y=29.50655&z=8&layers=