PDA

View Full Version : Please Make a Suggestion

Sliver Shooter
01-23-2011, 05:25 PM
I slugged my Mosin-Nagant barrel and this is what I get for measurements. Bore is .304 and grooves are .316. I measured it several times to make sure of what I was coming up with. Now I want to PP cast boolits just because it will add to the enjoyment of shooting this old relic. What would be a good recipe. I haven't done much PP before but I'm intreaged with the whole thing. I have on 03 Springfield I may have to PP for too.

onesonek
01-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Welcome to CB SS. where at in southern MN? just curious.
I'm just getting into PP as well. I'm kinda following pdawg's advice,,, cast or size .001-.0015" over bore, patch .001-3" over groove. Alloy, seems to be a personal thing from what I gather. WW's be a starting point or softer alloy as well,,like 20-1.

Sliver Shooter
01-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Hey ONESONEK, I live by Albert Lea. Not to far from you. My wife and I have been wanting to get over to your area to see the sites. I'm going to try PP some Jword boolits in .308 to try in my bore. Just to see what happens. I want to primarily stay with cast when I figure out what I should use.

onesonek
01-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Just re-read my post and noticed I left out the patch part on .0001-3" over groove.
Added now so it makes sense hopefully.
Anyhow,, again welcome! It's been awhile since I been over your way. If you get in the neighborhood, give me a shout.

303Guy
01-24-2011, 04:08 AM
With older and well worn rifles like you and I have, throat fit might be the prime concern. Maybe moreso with well used 303's - yours has the same bore dimentions. But being military and designed to be reliable in harsh conditions, it's likely to have a generous throat. I'd suggest patching so the bullet/boolit fit's the throat snuggly on chambering. It pays to chamber each loaded round to ensure it actually goes in without leaving the boolit lodged in the throat or pushed back into the case. (I made the mistake of not doing that and had several rounds jam up on me - the boolits had expanded below the seating punch. Luckily it was a target trip and not a hunt).

pdawg_shooter
01-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Hey ONESONEK, I live by Albert Lea. Not to far from you. My wife and I have been wanting to get over to your area to see the sites. I'm going to try PP some Jword boolits in .308 to try in my bore. Just to see what happens. I want to primarily stay with cast when I figure out what I should use.

That is how I started patching, patching .308s up to .318 for an old Mauser. You might want to roll your jacketed under a mill bastard file to give a surface the patch can stick to. Makes patching a whole lot easier!