PDA

View Full Version : lube by the pound...

beladran
01-23-2011, 01:10 PM
for people that like to pan lube. do any of the commercial lube guys sell lube by the brick?

fryboy
01-23-2011, 01:24 PM
dont quote me but i believe both the bullshop and lar's ( white label lubes ) do , from time to time one also sees it in the swap and selling section by the pound , not long ago i offered a pound package of 4 different kinds of lube for folks to try a sample of various lubes ( appox 4 oz. cakes ) there are alot of lubes that are easy to make with proven recipes , the easiest being either 1 pound of wax and a pound of grease type stuff ( either beeswax or paraffin and vaseline or chassis grease/lithum ) tho with those i would suggest adding the grease in smaller quantities first until the desired consistency is reached

D Crockett
01-23-2011, 01:29 PM
you have a pm D Crockett

Bullshop
01-23-2011, 01:37 PM
We sell boolit lube by the pound both black powder (NASA) and smokeless powder (Speed Green) at $17.50 per lb.

Springfield
01-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Don't know how it would work as a pan lube, don't do that anymore. But from my experience with NASA lube and from what I learned back when I pan lubed I think it would work better than most as it has enough body to hold together and is soft enough to not break and fallout of the grooves. I used to use beewax and Crisco. It worked OK if you managed to catch it at the exact right temperature when pushing out the bullets. If not, it was chancy. NASA should be more forgiving, I know it is with my Star sizer.

cajun shooter
01-23-2011, 04:52 PM
For lubing BP bullets the NASA works well as a pan lube. If doing smokeless bullets I will let some one who shoots that answer your question.

montana_charlie
01-23-2011, 06:36 PM
I have never pan lubed, but I am familiar with the texture of NASA lube. And, I have handled it while melted.
Based on that experience, and this forum post (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=1131031&postcount=6 ) I am guessing that NASA is about perfect for trouble-free pan lubing.

CM

Suo Gan
01-23-2011, 08:43 PM
for people that like to pan lube. do any of the commercial lube guys sell lube by the brick?

I use Xlox or LLA poured into a bowl or small crock pot and dip the boolits (sized first if needed) base in, sometimes I do this twice. You can do several hundred in no time. The cake cutter method is tedious and time consuming to my way of thinking.

Jailer
01-23-2011, 08:44 PM
White label will sell by the pound. Prices are good too. Email them and get you a quote they'll take care of you.