PDA

View Full Version : 452.1, Catshooter, RanchDog, Chargar, LEE, and Bullshop- the Winning Combination...!

PatMarlin
11-05-2006, 06:09 PM
I gotta confess I had my most favorable casting session ever today with my new 6 banger group buy molds!... [smilie=w:

We've got a KickaPoo combination here folks! Everyone of these molds dropped like (to quote a famous cast booliteer) Mazatlan Cliff Diver! Every one was on and over spec in diameter. With the combination of Bullshop Dan's plate lube, holy cow... I thought I'd never say this but "Step Aside Veral"... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Here's another remarkable thing...

I was concerned about heavy boolits and the 6 bang mold with RanchDog's RD TLC-460-RFB but guess what???... it was the easiest and nicest caster out of the bunch! Seems like the bigger the boolit, the better the cast. Haven't had time to try Cat's 360gr .461 yet.

They all cast outstanding bollits... Cat's Keith Series 45, and the .357. Chargar's 311407, and RanchDog's heavy beast. Now I rate the performance of my Cast Boolit/Lee molds to be the best of the best, and until now only LBT held that rank in my book.. :Fire:

For those new to 6 bangers (and I was cept for the fat-30), here's exactly what I did to get a great cast session:

Unwrapped the molds and set them all in a big stainless steel frypan, with Dawn detergent, and water and softly boiled them for 20 minutes. Pulled each piece out and rinsed under the faucet with hot water. Dried on the wood stove.

Before installing handles I held each half over a propane flame to smoke the cavities good. Not sooty, just darkened. This preheated the mold, so then I took a Q-tip with Bullshop Plate lube, and lubed the bottom side of the spruce and hinge first!, then the alignment pins, then wiped the excess off of the spruce plate with a new Q-tip. Then and only then I used the excess Q-tip to lightly and carefully wipe down the top of the mold, without getting any into the cavities. This was a real faint, dry wipe. Didn't even need to get right next to the cavity, just got close.

Pre-heated the mold, and with hot WW lead they dropped like butter, most all on the very first cast. Fill out was awesome. I later added a little more Plate lube to the underside of the spruce plate and hinge only. Not a smear in the bunch!!

The combination of skill and knowledge on this forum is unprecedented IMO.

Did I forget to say I really like these molds?... :bigsmyl2:

Nrut
11-05-2006, 07:47 PM
The BullPlate is great stuff eh Pat?...I have actually cut my spure to early and while tipping the mold to dump the spure watched the still fluid bullet base move to the tipping side!....all with no smearing!.......unreal majic juice that stuff.....and wait till ya taste it!

SharpsShooter
11-05-2006, 08:22 PM
The BullPlate is great stuff eh Pat?...I have actually cut my spure to early and while tipping the mold to dump the spure watched the still fluid bullet base move to the tipping side!....all with no smearing!.......unreal majic juice that stuff.....and wait till ya taste it!

I have done the same thing. Cut the sprue early and dump molten lead instead of a solid boolit. If the mould is treated with Bullplate, it won't smear and will simply run off the side cleanly.

Pat

My experience with Catshooters 45 Keith, the 461-360 and my own 8mm group buy moulds have been much as you describe. This weekend I have cast over 500 of the 461-360 without the fiirst problem.

SS

PatMarlin
11-06-2006, 12:18 AM
Bullplate's the ticket... :drinks:

Where's that rascal Daniel anyway?.. :mrgreen:

I had to stop early cause I ran out of propane, but we'll hit her again asap. I can cast indoors all winter!! ..........:drinks:

Nrut
11-06-2006, 01:27 AM
Pat what kind of pot is that?...never seen one like it...

PatMarlin
11-06-2006, 01:34 AM
That is a propane fired RCBS cast iron bottom pour pot. It's so old no one at RCBS even knew what it was, or had seen one. It's got RCBS stamped right in the casting.

A friend of mine had a gunshop in Sacramento, and gave it to me. It rocks... :drinks:

PatMarlin
11-06-2006, 01:49 AM
It was unused new in the box when I got it..

Ranch Dog
11-06-2006, 08:22 AM
Pat, thanks for the kind words and I'm glad the molds are working out!

Buckshot
11-06-2006, 01:08 PM
................Whew! Had me scared there for a minute. I thought you were selling tickets to win a pup outta that litter, and I was going to have to decline :-)

.............Buckshot

Bullshop
11-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Pup indead!!! Sounds like a real huntin dog to me!
BIC/BS

Poohgyrr
11-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Here I am, hard at work (opps, shhhh) :coffeecom

and I saw the title to this thread.. Then I read it,,,

:bigsmyl2:

Yes indeed, those guys are great, and I'm always learning something here, including this thread...

Thanks.............

Leftoverdj
11-06-2006, 05:55 PM
I sure envy that pot. Saw a similar unmarked pot years ago, and building one has been on my to-do list ever since. The one I saw was squarer, and the burner was either a replacement or an add-on.