PDA

View Full Version : Made my Taylor brass another way.

Hardcast416taylor
01-23-2011, 11:49 AM
For years I made my .416 Taylor brass the easy way, run a .458 mag. case up in the Taylor sizer die and load. What I am doing for the last 6 months, or so, is making my cases using Hornady Mag. Basic Brass. If you want to buy this brass at a lower cost than new .458 brass and willing to spend a few minutes to make cases the correct length then read on. Firstly, I use a plumbers tubing cutter to take 5/16" off the brass before I do anything else. I then run the trimmed case thru my .416 Taylor sizer die, lubed up with Redding sizer wax. Now I trim the sized case to a few .10 thousands over 2.5" on my RCBS case trimmer and de-burr the cases inside and out. After my first firing I trim the cases to the 2.5" that a Taylor is spec for. I`m sure others have done this same procedure, I just haven`t seen anybody put it down in print. For those of us that have discovered this round and enjoy being thumped by it, I thought I`d offer another way to make your cases.Robert:bigsmyl2:

navymrchief
01-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Hardcast, where do you get your Hornady basic magnum brass? What is on the headstamp?
John

Hardcast416taylor
01-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Chief. I`ve been getting the Hornady brass from Natchez Shooter Supply for $36.28 + shipping per box of 50. A box of .458 Mag. brass, also Hornady, sells for $48.33 + shipping. I`m fairly sure other shooter supply stores have this brass listed. There is no head stamp on the brass, just a smooth head. I keep mine in a well marked box when both loaded or fired. As I explained above in a posting, it is easy to make and you will then have the correct full length brass. Critters can`t complain, now, that I shot them using short and under length .458 mag. brass!Robert:roll:

navymrchief
01-26-2011, 02:53 AM
Thanks a bunch for this info. I did some looking and with my dealer's license, I found I can get the brass fo $29.59/50 plus shipping from Graf & Sons. If the head stamp is blank, I might even figure a way that I can stamp it, lightly, myself. No more too short .416 Taylor brass for me from necked .458 Win brass with a savings to boot!

Three44s
01-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Robert,

It's good to see you've been able to work on your second love lately!!

navymrchief,

I was thinking the same thing about stamping the naked case heads. Not that I am going to Africa but I have heard that some countries required ammo to be properly stamped as to caliber before it is allowed in.

Regards

Mark

Hardcast416taylor
01-26-2011, 04:29 PM
Mark, I was just wondering the other day if you were frozen against the barn door? I`m re-learning to paper patch those big .416 projo`s now. Come Spring those ground hogs are going to be real skittish around here!Robert:holysheep

frank505
01-26-2011, 05:34 PM
Quality Cartridge makes 416 Taylor headstamped brass. We probably otta buy some before he quits making them.

Hardcast416taylor
01-27-2011, 01:42 PM
I checked out Quality brass as carried by Midway. At $38.99 for 20 cases that seems a bit steep. That is what I can get the Hornady basic brass for and there I get 50 cases. Another thing in the Midway site was customer responces. There were several stating the rim is thicker than .458 mag. brass and thus won`t work in a #4 shellholder from RCBS. Since I won`t be seeing Africa before dirt is thrown on me, I`ll stay with using Hornady and doing a little work making my own.Robert

Three44s
01-27-2011, 11:55 PM
Robert ............... I AM stuck to the barn door!!! My wife felt sorry for me and brought me a 'puter and let me check in on 'boolits just for old time sake!!!!

:coffeecom

LOL!!

:)

Actually, we have had much better weather than you guys! We have been in the 40's for highs for several days. Dodged the bullet on flooding as well!

Lucky bums we are!!!

Glad you've been able to do some 'patchin'

Best regards

Mark

navymrchief
03-03-2011, 08:19 AM
So, Mark, what did you end up getting for a barrel for your .416 Taylor and what did you build it on?
I haven't gotten around to trying the head stamping on the basic brass yet, but I will soon. Had to do a damage hunt for elk a couple of weeks ago and I got a little behind on things. I used my .358 Norma Mag on the elk and it was superb. I used a new, Savage threaded and chambered E.R. Shaw .35 Whelen barrel that has been collecting dust and I had a buddy of mine chamber it out to .358 Norma. Shoots under an inch groups at 100 yds with 225gr. Sierras. Now I guess I'll be looking at gettng a .35 cal mould for it. With the cost of Norma brass and if the head stamping of the magnum basic brass works out, I may make my .358 Norma Mag. brass out of the stuff as well.