PDA

View Full Version : Casting and reloading room

Charlie Two Tracks
01-23-2011, 11:17 AM
First attempt at pictures but by golly, they are there!
http://i54.tinypic.com/2i8ahyg.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/2w74a6d.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/2yux2qa.jpg
I just found out that I can edit the pictures and make them a little clearer! Not good with computers. I don't know the exact range of the shots (under a mile I know) and these were from three different loads and boolits with no sight adjustments made. Straight from the factory. 158 gr. HP (mihec) 158 RNFP and 148 gr. TLWC.
http://i55.tinypic.com/2enyj2d.jpg
That is all the better my Canon PowerShot SD30 does.

Olevern
01-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Nice pics, what's the olive oil for?

deltaenterprizes
01-23-2011, 11:28 AM
The actions on your guns should be opened.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-23-2011, 11:32 AM
The olive oil is for the first revolver which is a Pietta .44 black powder. I don't put any chemicals on it. As far as the actions on the revolvers, that's the way I wanted the picture. They are unloaded. Every time I pick one up I check them. Every time.

desteve811
01-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Whats the block of wood for with the bolt? threw it?

Jim
01-23-2011, 11:53 AM
The actions on your guns should be opened.

Why is that?

1Shirt
01-23-2011, 11:55 AM
I won't be critical, and I enjoyed seeing your set up!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Charlie Two Tracks
01-23-2011, 12:17 PM
The block of wood is my holder for the Lee BHN tester. The bolt is actually the microscope. Kind of crude but it works quite well.

NSP64
01-23-2011, 12:40 PM
How can you do anything, its too clean. Lol

btroj
01-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Way too clean. I have stacks of containers of brass and bullets all over. My wife hates it.
I cast in the garage so at least that mess is kept out of the house.

Bad Water Bill
01-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Leave Charlie alone. All he needs is a little more time to get the bench as organized as the rest of ours are (NOT):bigsmyl2:

Jim
01-23-2011, 02:18 PM
I like it, Charlie! You mind if I join you?

THIS (http://fgsp.wordpress.com/2011/01/23/the-25-cent-grand-tour/) is my place.

btroj
01-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Leave Charlie alone. All he needs is a little more time to get the bench as organized as the rest of ours are (NOT):bigsmyl2:

You are right, he needs more @$*& in there. I just don't see how he can get by with stuff all over the bench. In my room pretty much any flat surface is covered with something.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-23-2011, 02:46 PM
That is awesome Jim. You have some rooooom there to put stuff. I like that setup. The refrigerator is a good idea. Hmmm.

Bad Water Bill
01-23-2011, 03:08 PM
When I first started reloading I asked the local police how they stored their powder. In a junk refrigerator with a carefully fitted 3/4 plywood box and door lining each section. The plywood almost doubles the safety factor in case of a fire.

Yes both of mine are fitted that way.

Recluse
01-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Good job, Charlie. Now that's a man's room!

:coffee:

unclebill
01-23-2011, 03:20 PM
nice work charlie!

my bedroom

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/27chevy-8.jpg

unclebill
01-23-2011, 03:25 PM
canon powershot a530

Jim
01-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Hey, Bill, what plane is that a model of? That's cool!

Charlie Two Tracks
01-23-2011, 03:48 PM
The "BLUE" room. You should be able to get some production out of that setup.

unclebill
01-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Hey, Bill, what plane is that a model of? That's cool!

it's my jap zero alarm clock
the engine starts and the machine guns go off in bursts until you wake up.:p

unclebill
01-23-2011, 04:09 PM
The "BLUE" room. You should be able to get some production out of that setup.

oh
i do!

Jim
01-23-2011, 04:11 PM
it's my jap zero alarm clock
the engine starts and the machine guns go off in bursts until you wake up.:p

you're greenin' me!! I love it!!

Ben
01-23-2011, 04:12 PM
I'll echo 1Shirt's remarks, I won't be critical either....I like it also.

Ben

unclebill
01-23-2011, 04:41 PM
you're greenin' me!! I love it!!

i found it at a yard sale.
what kinda guy would get rid of something like this?
all i can think of is
he musta died...

oh yeah
it makes dive bombing noises too.
the things noisy as all get out.

Jim
01-23-2011, 04:56 PM
all i can think of is
he musta died...

oh yeah

Janet said the guy got rid of it prob'ly 'cause he got married.:shock:

deltaenterprizes
01-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Why is that?
So anyone can tell it is unloaded without picking up the firearm. Handling "unloaded" firearms is the main cause of negligent discharges.
With the action open it can not be fired.

That is how I was taught at the indoor range where I worked for 15 years as an NRA instructor and it was managed by an NRA Training Counselor and Security Firearms instructor.

unclebill
01-24-2011, 08:50 AM
So anyone can tell it is unloaded without picking up the firearm. Handling "unloaded" firearms is the main cause of negligent discharges.

That is how I was taught at the indoor range where I worked for 15 years as an NRA instructor and it was managed by an NRA Training Counselor and Security Firearms instructor.

i am guilty
i live alone and nobody ever touches my guns.
but i do open them and check whenever i pick one up.
i dont allow kids in my house so thats one thing i dont have to worry about.

unclebill
01-24-2011, 08:51 AM
all i can think of is
he musta died...

oh yeah

Janet said the guy got rid of it prob'ly 'cause he got married.:shock:

other than death
thats gotta be it.:razz:

Recluse
01-24-2011, 01:32 PM

Agree about the "unloaded firearms being main cause of NDs." In fact, one of my best childhood buddies was killed by an "unloaded" 20-gauge shotgun when I was in college. . .

However, I was taught whenever you took a gun from someone or you handed a gun from someone, you always opened the action to verify the gun was unloaded and safe, and you handed the gun to the person with the action open.

That's how our armorer in the Air Force handled all firearms and it was how we were taught when I went the federal firearms instructor's course and did duty as an instructor. All firearms were handed from one person to the next with the action open.

Even today at gun stores, I'll have clerks verify the gun is safe, then close the action (slide or cylinder, depending on type of firearm) and I still open the cylinder or pull the slide back. It's not even a habit--it's pure reflex and I can (almost) no longer stop that any more than I can stop breathing.

But for the purposes of storage and for a picture, there's nothing wrong with leaving the action closed on his firearms. The action also stays closed on ALL of our guns that are stored in the safe.

01-24-2011, 02:16 PM
I think it was Jeff Cooper who had as his first rule of gun safety: "All guns are always loaded."

In other words, prior to handling any firearm, always consider it to be loaded.

Some of my guns are loaded, some of them are not loaded, but all of them are always loaded.

A double check, as Recluse mentioned, is an excellent form of verification.

Jim
01-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Mr. Recluse,
You post, no. 30, was very well done, Sir.

geargnasher
01-24-2011, 03:20 PM
However, I was taught whenever you took a gun from someone or you handed a gun from someone, you always opened the action to verify the gun was unloaded and safe, and you handed the gun to the person with the action open. ....

...All firearms were handed from one person to the next with the action open.

But for the purposes of storage and for a picture, there's nothing wrong with leaving the action closed on his firearms. The action also stays closed on ALL of our guns that are stored in the safe.

I was taught the same way. Everyone I saw handle a gun as a kid growing up did it that way. Same with a pocketknife. It was part of good manners same as taking your hat off when going indoors or pulling off the road and stopping when a funeral procession drove by. If you hand a gun to me with the action closed I'll just look at you, my arms won't even come up from my sides if I can't see open and EMPTY chamber.

One time Ken Rucker was fitting me for an adjustable cheekpiece on my Nikko and he told me to shoulder the gun and point it at his eye. I would sooner have walked off the edge of a cliff! We had both just handled and checked the gun and both watched me close it empty when he asked me to. I checked three more times and finally got it over with, but it made my skin crawl.

Gear

Taylor
01-24-2011, 09:23 PM
Personally,I like my area dress right dress.I don't like have to hunt for stuff.The wife on the other hand....I've told her that if we ever build from the ground up,there will be no flat surfaces.Good to go Charlie.

deltaenterprizes
01-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Some people learn by observation teach by example.

unclebill
01-25-2011, 02:48 PM
personally,i like my area dress right dress.i don't like have to hunt for stuff.the wife on the other hand....i've told her that if we ever build from the ground up,there will be no flat surfaces.good to go charlie.

what is a dress right dress?

1Shirt
01-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Uncle Bill is not P.C. P.C. color is green! Not a bit of RCBS in the place unless it is the funnel. Must be a bias someplace. However, that said, his blue sure is pruddy!

woodyubet
01-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Looks great Charlie.....My gun room is my haven and helps keep me young.....Peace, quiet, and , mental stimulation. Good show Charlie

unclebill
01-25-2011, 05:00 PM
Uncle Bill is not P.C. P.C. color is green! Not a bit of RCBS in the place unless it is the funnel. Must be a bias someplace. However, that said, his blue sure is pruddy!

i think the funnel and maybe the scale are rcbs.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Dress right dress. It's a military thing for straightening out formations. Hard thing to forget.

01-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Troops look right, extend their right arms to the right, at shoulder height, and align themselves, at arms distant, with the pathetic soul to their right. After a lot of shuffling of feet, the end result is that the troops are equi-distant from one another and the formation is perfectly aligned.

I remember it being used in basic training, tech school, and a couple reviews and change-of-command parades.

Recluse
01-25-2011, 07:03 PM
what is a dress right dress?

It's something that is drilled (no pun intended) into your head forever in basic training. Kinda like checking your gig line. . .

Be neat and orderly and squared away at all times, especially in formation and even more especially in the barracks, lest you learn another old, unpleasant military tradition known as the GI Party.

Bad Water Bill
01-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Has anyone ever DARED to forget their Id #. No I didn't think so .:)

Charlie Two Tracks
01-25-2011, 08:12 PM
After the amount of pushups you'd have to do, it sinks in forever.(and then some)

unclebill
01-26-2011, 06:44 AM
thanks fellas.