PDA

View Full Version : What should we be hording.

jed308
01-22-2011, 11:42 PM
I have been reading a lot of posts here and I’m starting to get worried that I don’t have enough lead.
The question is what should we be trying to acquire the most of.
WW - Pure lead – Lino. I’m trying to think 10 or so years down the road when I have ample time to cast for a lot of different boolets. Right now I cast mainly shotgun slugs from pure lead but would like to expand to rifle and pistol.

btroj
01-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Yes. All of it. Anything you can get. Worry about alloy later.

lwknight
01-23-2011, 12:00 AM
I second the whatever you can get your hands on theory.
At worst , you can trade what you have in excess for what you lack

geargnasher
01-23-2011, 12:01 AM
+1 Btroj.

Or just give it to me and I'll store it in my boolit traps until you need it.:bigsmyl2:

Gear

btroj
01-23-2011, 12:09 AM
I would love to have a private range so I could use a trap to recover my lead. The range I shoot at doesn't even like for use to pick up boolits laying on the berm. So I just do it when others are not there.

WILCO
01-23-2011, 12:21 AM
I’m starting to get worried that I don’t have enough lead.

There are bigger things to worry about and life is too short. Scrounge what you can and keep moving forward.

nicholst55
01-23-2011, 12:35 AM
There are bigger things to worry about and life is too short. Scrounge what you can and keep moving forward.

Yup, gold and silver would be good things to hoard, along with non-perishable foodstuffs.

*Paladin*
01-23-2011, 12:35 AM
When I first started scrounging, I thought WW was going to be easy to find and soft lead would be tougher to find. It's worked out to be just the opposite for me. I'm starting to notice more straight PB than WW's in my stash now...

Charlie, AKA The Deacon
01-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Everything!!!
Lead all types
powder-primers-brass-guns
drygoods-canned goods
water filtration system
Everything!!!:redneck:

I don't plan on ending up at the superdome!!

white eagle
01-23-2011, 11:52 AM
+2 Btroj

onesonek
01-23-2011, 12:00 PM
I don't know that I would call it hoarding,,,,but certainly think stockpiling lead of any type and other items is practical. As mentioned,, all excess could be use for bartering.

mold maker
01-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Protecting your future needs isn't hoarding. Stock up on non perishable items that you can't do without. If your reading this forum, lead in any form is a given.

1Shirt
01-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Collect/store/hoard, what ever you want to call it anything/everything that goes into the making of ammo. Scrounge it, pick it up at the range, buy it, whatever. We seem to be coming out of the primer shortage, but note that the prices have not come down very much. I picked up a can of powder from the back of my shelf marked 12.95, and another marked 16.95, and they are both less than 10 years old. An empty 4 pounder of 24.00 was marked under $50.00. Prices are not going down that I can see. Sooo-I buy what I can, when I can afford, and will continue to do so. I buy all my gas and vehicle related expenses on a Cabella's credit card. With point build ups, when I get credits in excess of 35-40.00, I go buy a couple of pounds of powder. Last two I bought that way only cost me $8.00 out of pocket for the two. Yeh, know Cabellas is high, but at least it is an option. With Obozo and the current administration, who knows????????:groner:
1Shirt!:coffee:

Charlie, AKA The Deacon
01-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Did i mention

everything!!!!:smile:

HATCH
01-23-2011, 12:36 PM
As far as lead goes, I would get whatever you can get.
WW is about the best choice IMHO because most of the time you can use it as is without adding anything to it. Thats what I am collecting up the most.

Powder, Primers, And Lead
that's what you need to hoard.

Blammer
01-23-2011, 12:54 PM
hoard VOTES! Then use them on the next election. :)

Bagdadjoe
01-23-2011, 01:11 PM
I would love to have a private range so I could use a trap to recover my lead. The range I shoot at doesn't even like for use to pick up boolits laying on the berm. So I just do it when others are not there.

yeah, it probably cuts into their pickups. It's not like it used to be when nobody collected lead....it seems like everyone is scrounging for scrap..anything.
One of these days I'm satisfied people will be "mining" ranges....and landfills for that matter.

fryboy
01-23-2011, 01:27 PM
after looking at the various scrap metal markets tin is high on the list and lead is creeping up there , as for the folks who say gold and silver i have to agree with but platinum is a much better option , in short ? the everything works - especially non-perishable food stuffs

Bullshop
01-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Anything needed within 24 hours of no food at the store, no electrical power, no gas at the pump, no city services as water sewer ect.

jed308
01-23-2011, 03:57 PM
As far as lead goes, I would get whatever you can get.
WW is about the best choice IMHO because most of the time you can use it as is without adding anything to it. Thats what I am collecting up the most.

Powder, Primers, And Lead
that's what you need to hoard.

Thanks that what I was wondering. WW do seem to be most versatile. The scrap yard I’ve been getting my soft Pb from puts everything that looks / feels like lead in one big hopper same price no matter what you pull out. Maybe I will start getting the WW instead of the sheet Pb. I was just trying to get the most pounds for the money and not have to worry about the Zn and Fe stuff.

Ole
01-23-2011, 04:01 PM
IMO, it's not hoarding if you plan to use it one day.

If you're buying it to sell later at an inflated price, then it's hoarding.

I have a lot of lead, but I plan to use it all someday.

:coffee:

jed308
01-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Ok hording may have been the wrong term.
Not planning to sell just would like to have what i need when i need it.
I have two children i would like to pass my limited knowledge to one day and would like to show them instead of having to read about it from a book.

beladran
01-23-2011, 07:38 PM
IMO, it's not hoarding if you plan to use it one day.

If you're buying it to sell later at an inflated price, then it's hoarding.

I have a lot of lead, but I plan to use it all someday.

:coffee:

this is just a personal opinion but i was always taught "buy low, sell high".. right now everything IS inflated which means you need to be dumping what you got.

Nodody wants to talk about the 1933 executive order requiring all citizens to turn over all gold coins, bullion, and notes.... When society crumbles i would rather have a duffle bag full of 45's than silver/gold coins

badbob454
01-23-2011, 09:00 PM
i have going on 3,000lbs of lead ,lino, stereotype,monotype , tin ,antimony,tin babbit , # 7 shot and ww's and i have a hard time saying no to getting more, as i can always barterif i need something else ... as was mentioned / i so far only had to pay for @ 75 lbs of lead in all my collecting ... my problem where to keep it all ...?

btroj
01-23-2011, 09:07 PM
hoard VOTES! Then use them on the next election. :)

I tried this. Couldn't find any, seems ACORN has em all.

John Boy
01-24-2011, 10:28 PM
Now listen guys ... back in 2007, OSHA came up with a proposed regulation called Explosives. If a grass roots campaign hadn't stopped it, you can collect all the metals you want but without smokeless or original gunpowder and primers ... we would all be SOL, just throwing our lead around in sling shots

a.squibload
01-25-2011, 02:43 AM
The rubber tubing for wrist-rockets gets old, might want a couple sets of them.
Don't forget propane, I'm gonna get another BBQ-size can once in a while
so I have plenty for casting and maybe cooking! Small ones too, for lanterns and stoves.

Never thought the cash-back option ("points") from credit cards was worth a darn,
but I've been getting $40 or so a few times a year, can't hurt.

lwknight
01-25-2011, 02:56 AM
I try to keep 1 of my 250 gallon propane tanks full all the time.
I wonder how long gasoline would keep in a sealed pressure vessel?
Or deisel for that matter.

Anyone have experience with long term fuel storage?

fredj338
01-25-2011, 04:37 PM
I agree, take it all, but lead based ww are going to be long gone going forward. I happily will take whatever comes my way. Just don't over pay for it.

bbs70
01-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Went to scrap yard today.
Lead went from 50 a lb to 80 a lb in 1 week.
Needless to say I passed on it.

a.squibload
01-26-2011, 11:01 PM

Sta-Bil works pretty good over the winter,
don't know how much longer it would be good for.

pls1911
02-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Primers and brass re the only components we cannot make in a pinch....
5k of everything? 10 sounds better...and considering the value if truly needed, it's CHEAP insurance.

Suo Gan
02-01-2011, 03:06 PM
I am formally giving up the ghost on WW scrounging. I have heard the horror stories, but today I had my own. My usual 20-25% amount of Zn WW and Fe WW went up to about 80%...a 20% yield is NO BUENO! Perhaps some other guy with more patience, and more time on his hands will appreciate my departure. I am glad I got what I did, when I did. Chalk another fun hobby and another little way to make a little money and save big money shot to hell by the enviro mafia.

More enviro mafia nonsense:
They are building a 1500 acre solar farm near me on range land, as well as putting a high speed rail in too...real good for the environment. They can't use the railroad right of way for the rail or use worthless property like an abandoned air base covered in concrete and asphalt for the farm...they need to destroy yet more farm land and wildlife habitat for their nonsense. They refuse to build more dams as that is supposedly too destructive but they can cover 1500 acres with plastic and glass. The lefties don't give a rip about the environment they are all about the money.

fredj338
02-01-2011, 03:50 PM
I try to keep 1 of my 250 gallon propane tanks full all the time.
I wonder how long gasoline would keep in a sealed pressure vessel?
Or deisel for that matter.

My understanding i diesel will last almost indefinitely, but gasoline does not store well. It's one reason the oil companies run out from time to time, they make what the can sell, it's not like oil, it does have an expiration date for optimum combustion. Why many like diesel generators or cars, you can store or even make fuel.

markshere2
02-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Store gas in steel 5 gal cans. Lasts a long time.
Rotate your stock monthly (dump 5 gal into the car and fill the can at the station when you fill up.
I use 3-4 month old gas - zero issues when stored in steel .

semtav
02-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Sta-Bil works pretty good over the winter,
don't know how much longer it would be good for.

Go to the local airport and buy some avgas. Lasts pretty much indefinitely. Is leaded tho. Buy an old 60's or 70's pickup that doesn't have any of the new fancy junk on it.

Iowa Fox
02-01-2011, 06:18 PM
A good selection of Heirloom seeds! On April 5th 1968 I was a young military policeman in the 14th & T street area of Washington DC. Pandemonium spreads quickly, even in the United States.

leadbutt
02-03-2011, 09:26 PM
The main thing that goes bad in gas is the additives. My father is an otr trucker and there are some states he doesnt buy gas in just because of the additives. Make sure you get gas minus the additives if your gonna store it.

L. Bottoms