PDA

View Full Version : ranch dog 350 in 1895 SS

hornetguy
01-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Has anyone had any trouble chambering your loads when using the 350 Ranch Dog boolit? I loaded some that another guy had cast and traded to me, and they looked like they were about the same overall length as factory loads (didn't bother measuring [smilie=b:) When I got to the range, they wouldn't chamber all the way in my Marlin.
My Lee HB boolits fed and shot very well. Is there anything needed, other than seating them slightly deeper? This is going to be a little disconcerting if there is a problem with my chamber. I just now got my handles for my 6-cavity RD mold.

btroj
01-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Most likely the ogive hitting the end of the lands. Seat them just a hair deeper and they should work. Every rifle is a bit different and this is why you must make loads that fit your rifle.

hornetguy
01-23-2011, 12:36 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what is going on... it just surprised me. I seated the bullet to what seemed to be the logical correct depth, and it didn't fit.
I had never heard anyone else mention this, so I was wondering.

btroj
01-23-2011, 09:38 AM
I have a Ranch Dog 30-30 that works with no problem. Got the NOE version of same, don't like tumble lube, and it has the problem you are describing. Nose profile is such that in MY rifle it hits the lands a bit too soon. In the 30-30 I just trim the case an extra 20 thousandths or so and I can load it as usual. You may want to see if this is required for your 45-70.
That is a good bullet for 45-70. I have shot a deer with both the 350 and the 425 RD in my 45-70. I find that they, along with most any bullet in that weight range, seem to shoot well with around 24 gr of 2400.

hornetguy
01-24-2011, 12:58 AM
thanks for the load suggestion. I'll give it a try. I'm just now starting to play with Unique for some loads, but also have Rel 7 and 4198 to experiment with.

I did seat them just a smidge (.020) deeper, and they chambered fine.

lesson learned... never take it for granted... check for proper fit before taking them to the range. :oops:

At least I can start casting some up with the RD mold without worrying about it.

longrifle
02-02-2011, 09:56 PM
I had an issue, a newbie issue I will admit, I wasn't flaring the cases properly, so I called up my father in law he came over and I wasn't running the cases all the way up the powder threw case expanding die and lo and behold that was my issue, so read the instructions of your dies verify you are doing everything correctly get a second opinion on your set up and good luck. also plenty of sleep and no distractions untill all set up.

softpoint
02-02-2011, 10:28 PM
I have 5 1895 Marlins of various ages and configurations, and both of the Ranchdog molds(350 and 425 gr.) plus another plainbase lube groove bullet that was a group buy that was a sort of copy of the 325 Ranchdog. The 1895 cowboy and a standard 1895 will not chamber bullets out of these molds unless I seat them slightly deeper than the crimp groove. My 1895LTDIII and a stainless Guide gun will chamber them crimped in the crimp groove, but with a slight "feel" which I think is just right. Rather than trim brass I just use the lee factory crimp die with a light crimp. Light loads with AA5744 don't need much crimp, and neither do heavier hunting loads if a slower powder(3031, 4895,etc)is used that fills the case with a slightly compressed charge. The compressed powder charge will help prevent any bullet setback on cartridges in the magazine.:castmine:

btroj
02-02-2011, 11:05 PM
This is the one problem with a nose design with the taper from nose to body diameter. When used in a variety of guns it will eventually end up in a gun with a slightly shorter throat. The bullet is pushed into the lands upon closing the action.
I have seated bullets slightly deeper into cases to allow easier cycling also.