PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99 Stocks

wv109323
01-22-2011, 06:12 PM
My uncle left me a Savage 99 in his will. I know it has a birch stock with pressed checkering. I don't care for the wood and would much perfer walnut with the schanbel forearm. I am not sure of the exact model but it is chambered for the .300 Savage. This is my first Savage 99. I plan on purchasing replacement wood.
My question is how much difference is there in Savage 99 stocks and forearms? Will all wood fit all guns? Weren't there pistol grip vs. straight stock ?
Long Tang vs. Short Tang? Tang Safety vs Lever safety? What do I need to be looking for?

excess650
01-22-2011, 06:32 PM
If you have a birch stock, its probably a 99E. Yes, there are different stocks for the PG vs straight grip. It would be best to post a picture for ID. I'm not certain, but I think the long tang was the earlier action with safety on the lever. I'm told a short tang stock can be fit to a long tang action.

Stock prices will vary considerably. Mike Kokolus (sp) from Pa does really nice duplicating but is pretty $. I know another guy who could duplicate using your stock as a pattern more reasonably. I saw nice buttstocks (newly duplicated) for as little as $60, but w/o forend. You could check ebay and see if Dakota Cliff has anything listed.

starmac
01-22-2011, 10:32 PM
One thing to consider is the stock and forarm is stamped from the factory with the matching serial numbers. I know the older ones are at least.

I don't remember who, but someone also makes a laminated stock that looks good.

ErikT
01-22-2011, 10:45 PM
You could check out Gunstocks Inc on the internet. They're the ones that had the laminate ones, too. They seem to have just about whatever you might need as far as type and style, and you can choose for better wood as well.

Erik.

timkelley
01-22-2011, 11:32 PM
http://www.gunstocksinc.com/

Try these folks for a Savage stock and forend.

excess650
01-23-2011, 09:48 AM
http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Plate-pics/Stevens-stocks/Rifle-stocks.htm

gnoahhh
01-23-2011, 12:12 PM
No such thing as long and short tangs. All 1899s and 99s are the same length. It's hit or miss whether a stock for an E will have the serial # on it. Probably only some assembly #'s. All of the above mentioned suppliers will make you a pretty nice stock, but be prepared for a lot of tedious hand fitting. Also, no difference in stocks for tang safety guns vs. lever safety.

I agree wholeheartedly with you wanting to swap out the wood on a birch stocked E. Keep us posted with your progress.

excess650
01-23-2011, 12:35 PM
No such thing as long and short tangs. All 1899s and 99s are the same length. Also, no difference in stocks for tang safety guns vs. lever safety.

I agree wholeheartedly with you wanting to swap out the wood on a birch stocked E. Keep us posted with your progress.

Really?

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Plate-pics/Stevens-stocks/savage-99-Pistolgrip-flat-butt.htm

gnoahhh
01-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Yep, really. I don't know where gunstocksinc got those dimensions. To make sure I wasn't blowing smoke I checked mine which span 1905 to 1958. All the same. I contacted a friend who owns about 100(!) Savage lever guns and he measured a bunch for me, including an 1895, early pre-#90,000 1899, a 1920-vintage G, several R's and EG's from the 30's to the 50's, and a couple of post-mil 99's made between 1959 and 1992 and found them to all be the same. Now I owe him a beer (or three!). Standard machining tolerances at the factory being what they were I have noticed small variations (like less than .010") when fitting new stocks, which is pretty normal for about everything ever made.

That may be a clue as to why some guys I know have had trouble final fitting stocks from gunstocksinc, though I've never used them and can't speak from experience. The last one I did, I inletted/shaped from scratch.

excess650
01-23-2011, 06:36 PM
I was looking at some new buttstocks at a gunshow last spring, and the seller mentioned long tang vs short tang. Being a gun parts seller, I figured he knew what he was talking about.

Mine (4) are 1935 and earlier, so "long tang'' according to that site. It showed the "short tangs" D&T for scope!

My interest was a replacement buttstock just to make my 99 carbine more comfortable to shoot. The flat topped butt with wrap around buttplate wants to slip on my shoulder, and seems to accentuate recoil. A straight grip stock with flatter, shotgun buttplate would solve the problem.

Johnw...ski
01-23-2011, 07:21 PM
I simply removed the checkering from my .308 99E and thinned the forarm and made it into a schnabel to match my earlier 99's

John

2152hq
01-24-2011, 11:04 PM
Macon GunStocks uses the same 'Long Tang/Short Tang' description for the 99s
http://macongunstocks.net/prod_desc_SAV99.html?sno=298

They show the same illustration that Gunstocks,Inc uses on their website.

That illustration looks like one out of an old Fajen stock catalog or something.
I personally don't know if there is a difference....Haven't had to restock one.

My one and only '99 at the present is an EG. Made in '53.
Not factory drilled & tapped so according to the illustration is supposed to be a
'long tang'(?) but it measures 3.010" on my caliper.

Someone swisscheesed it with 8 holes trying to decide where to put a scope though. I have some fillin' to do.

sav300
01-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Try Boyds gun stocks.They have a list of 99 stocks and fore ends.

justingrosche
01-25-2011, 08:53 AM
This is a Gunstocks Inc stock.