PDA

View Full Version : Found a job for my boy.

ScottJ
01-22-2011, 05:03 PM
He always wants to help daddy in the reloading room. But there's only so much on the press a 5 year old can do. Seating primers or charging the case require too much feel and complexity for him.

Well, today we found his niche. He can size like a champ. I put 'em on the ram and he does the rest. Having a ball.

waco
01-22-2011, 05:16 PM
nice!
i used to let my kids pick up primers in the dillon pick-up tubes!

01-22-2011, 06:46 PM
Too cool!

steg
01-23-2011, 05:12 AM
Looks like the beginnings of a good shooting buddy there, brings back alot of good memories of when my best shooting buddy started out around 30 years ago......................................steg

WHITETAIL
01-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Start them early, and you will have a blast.:mrgreen:

mooman76
01-23-2011, 10:40 AM
My 4 year old Granddaughter was handing me brass to resize last weekend. She loves to play with mechanical things when I'm out in the garage.

Doby45
01-23-2011, 11:46 AM
My 4yr old daughter was helping put newly cleaned brass in Berry boxes yesterday. She had a blast. She also enjoys sizing with the Star. Slave labor, I think not. ;)

Ickisrulz
01-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Watch your fingers...my three-year-old got me.

Papa Jack
01-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Watch your fingers...my three-year-old got me.

You can say that again !! When my son was about 5 he was running the handle on my Rock Chucker "helping" me size some .357 cases.....My fingers were soooo sore after a couple minutes I finally had to find another "job" for him to do...
It is fun and educational to start them early, I agree 100%. Just like gun safety, start em early !! "PJ"

Jailer
01-23-2011, 09:10 PM
Nice pics OP. My 9 year old daughter likes to do the same thing.

40sandwfan
01-24-2011, 03:36 AM
Boy, you guys sure bring back some memories. My dad used to do the same things with me and I loved it. Now I have children of my own that I want so badly to do the same thing with. Being divorced makes it tough but I still try when I can!

insanelupus
01-24-2011, 04:30 AM
When we were kids dad had a small spot in the storage room. There was an ancient black and white tv on a small storage cabinet we'd watch tv with him, while he reloaded and we chased down the spent primers which always seemed to pop out of the spent primer cup of his old Lyman Spartan press and onto the old tongue and groove wooden floors. That room was always kept locked and as a kid it seemed almost magical to sit in there with my dad.

mwjones
01-24-2011, 07:57 AM
My son loves to help out reloading! He's 5, so there's not a lot he can help with, but he tries!

His favourite thing to do so far is chamfering and deburring my cases after they're trimmed. I told him that you can only do it a LITTLE bit though, like one turn with each end of the chamfer debur tool, so sometimes, I have to do the odd one again as it's not quite there (he'd rather do it not enough than too much, and hasn't buggered one up yet!!). He can chamfer and debur almost as fast as I can trim with a lee case trimmer and lock stud in my cordless drill.

Just found out the other day that he's also good at seating bullets! I use the lee roll crimp, and have the press set up so that when it bottoms out, the handle hits on the edge of the bench. Works out well, as ti takes a little bit of the feel out of it and makes it impossible to crimp too hard.

hunter64
01-24-2011, 08:40 AM
Enjoy these times while you can. By the time the kids are 8-10 they have learned that helping dad will cut into there play time with there friends. By 12 you are lucky to get them to pick up a piece of paper and put it in the garbage can, lol.

My son still helps with the reloading but going to school I give him some slack and I know how hard engineering is, bin there done that, thankfully I got a shirt before I left.

EMC45
01-24-2011, 08:57 AM
My 8 yo girl likes to size fired cases. My 5 yo son does too.

songdog53
01-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Great to see them get started early and will lead to a reloading buddy till he discovers girls. But great job and enjoy them when young.

Charlie Sometimes
01-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Besides the press functions, I let mine help fill the cartridge boxes- then asked them how many, so they learn to count, etc. If they ran out before I was ready again, they could dump them out and recount to be sure, especially the boolits! :smile: They make patterns in the boxes, too as they fill them- "loads" of fun for kids! (pun intended) :lol: