PDA

View Full Version : Carcano scout rifle

JeffinNZ
01-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Team.

About 3 months ago I bought a red/green dot sight for next to nothing on a "one day" internet site. I had no real use for it but it was cheap so.............. Anyways, for a hoot I mounted on the Carcano last evening.

In the base of the Carcano rear sight there is a retaining screw for which I found a longer replacement in my collection of nuts, bolts and screws. I took a Weaver style base, cut to length and filed it to fit into the Carcano rear sight then fastened with the longer screw. The rear of the base I fastend with a JB Weld type epoxy so as not to have to drill and tap. Bottom line is the base is mounted without altering the rifle. Now to shoot it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/DSCN2208.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/DSCN2209.jpg

Question is, would Jeff Cooper approved?

rhbrink
01-21-2011, 07:29 PM
If you would bore that out to a .308 he would. :lol:

oldhickory
01-21-2011, 08:47 PM
I like it. Do you like it? Who cares what Cooper would think.

MtGun44
01-21-2011, 09:34 PM
That is the finest looking Carcano that I have ever seen. Brother bought two 40+ yrs ago
and they were rough on the outside. All that I have seen since are worse. They must have
sent the nice ones south and the junk to the USA.

Bill

leadman
01-21-2011, 10:39 PM
I had one I bought from a fellow worker many years ago that was made by Berretta. Was the nicest one I had seen before or since. Sold it in a moment of weakness.

That outfit looks like it would be a great gun for hunting in the mountains due to light weight and fast on the target with the red dot.

junkbug
01-21-2011, 11:09 PM
M41 Fucil, M91TS or M91/28TS?
Looks good. I may have to try it with my M91TS (1913 dated).

Thanks

PS: Now you can sight it in so it doesn't shoot 18" high at 100 yards!

JeffinNZ
01-22-2011, 01:19 AM
M41 Fucil, M91TS or M91/28TS?
Looks good. I may have to try it with my M91TS (1913 dated).

Thanks

PS: Now you can sight it in so it doesn't shoot 18" high at 100 yards!

It's a cut down FAT 41. Shoot cast in it so sight to suit.

JeffinNZ
01-22-2011, 06:14 AM
Well, the epoxy lasted 14 shots then gave. I have now fitted a 8/32 screw to the rear of the mount. On the good side the mount is perfectly mated to the receiver now.

I now know why the sight was cheap. The adjustments are in reverse. Up is down, left is right and vice versa. No drama.

Multigunner
01-22-2011, 08:51 AM
I was given a red dot scope years ago as a christmas present, and have yet to find a rifle that would be suited to it.
I don't mind the idea of a lighted reticle, but these things are just way too bulky and ugly for me to get enthusiastic about.
I can see how they'd be useful for quick target aquisition for a select fire assault rifle or SMG. They might also be useful for wing shooting. But they throw off the balance of a shotgun too much for me to get used to using one.

I may try mounting it on my Maverick Bolt Action shotgun. That gun is way too light for a 12 gauge slug gun as it is. The dot would be useful for close range slug use in low light situations.

dnepr
01-22-2011, 01:38 PM
I like it

i have an old carcano that is really rough I plan to build a scout like rifle out of it , but that will be a serious winter project , maybe next winter

Artful
01-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Nice - I have a M38 Mosin-Naganet scout - I'll bet yours kicks less and is lighter in weight - so Cooper would say it needs improvement but we are both on the right track.

Beekeeper
01-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Ain't trying to be dumb but who is Jeff Cooper???

Jim

Geraldo
01-22-2011, 04:50 PM

Jim

Col. Jeff Cooper, the guy who founded Gunsite, was a founding member of IPSC, Marine in WWII, NRA officer, etc, etc.

Question is, would Jeff Cooper approved?

Nope. Caliber is too small, no magazine cutoff, no Ching Sling, and your iron sights are history. However, Geraldo approves of all scout rifles, especially milsurps :drinks:

MtGun44
01-22-2011, 06:31 PM
:shock:

"Who is Jeff Cooper?"

Wow.

Bill

Multigunner
01-22-2011, 06:56 PM

Jim

The question was more often posed as "Who does Jeff Cooper think he is anyway".
Cooper was a knowledgable man, but seemed to believe he had discovered the supposed "Scout Sling" which was actually the sling method commonly used by British Snipers and target shooters, and dates back to flintlock musket days.
The Germans used long eye relief scopes for sharp shooters during WW2.

The only thing close to an true inovation for his Scout Rifle concept was the bipod that retracted into the fore end. I'd come up with exactly the same idea long before he did, actually in a design for a science fiction prop gun, but never got around to building one into a working model.

roverboy
01-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Thats a very nice Carcano. Like MtGun44 said, most are rough looking. I see some at gunshows and they look like they were dragged down a road.

Tertle
01-25-2011, 05:29 PM
when i first got the Email from jeff with the pictures i was in fits of laughter and even called out to my wife, i thought what a laugh, and look its held on by blue tac, image the stunned silence when jeff brought it around and it actually came up really well and it wasnt held on by silly putty! further more it started me thinking.......

i feel that a field trip is in order to test this scout rifle out.

Bret4207
01-26-2011, 08:51 AM
I don't think Uncle Jeff would DIS-approve. It's a good use of parts to make a decent rifle mo'bedder. Marines are cheap as a rule, that part would have appealed to him.

Semper Fi Uncle Jeff, give my regards to Chesty.

Larry Gibson
01-26-2011, 10:45 AM
I don't think Col Cooper claimed he "discovered" anything about the scout, including the sling. In his writings he always gave ample credit to the various aspects of a proper scout rifle. He mentioned the British 2 point system numerous times and also mentioned Ching numerous times. I think the only thing he claimed regarding the scout rifle development was that the "committee" brought together the numerous aspects from different rifles/concepts into one package.

Col Cooper was very opinionated but his opinions were based on facts and considerable testing. He was quick to discard what didn't work. I don't agree with all of his thoughts because he was a Marine and I was not:p

Larry Gibson

Hang Fire
01-30-2011, 05:45 AM
Col. Jeff Cooper, the guy who founded Gunsite, was a founding member of IPSC, Marine in WWII, NRA officer, etc, etc.

Nope. Caliber is too small, no magazine cutoff, no Ching Sling, and your iron sights are history. However, Geraldo approves of all scout rifles, especially milsurps :drinks:

Years ago I picked up a FN 98 for 90 bucks, the Israelis had rebarreled it to 7.62 (.308) and I pseudo scouted it. It comes in at 7.5 lbs, so Jeff would fault it, but good enough for this child.

http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.com/Mauser_Scout_op_800x448.jpg

Detailed info as to how I bubbarized it (scroll down at link) : http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.com/early.html#

DCM
02-02-2011, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=Larry Gibson;1137623]I don't think Col Cooper claimed he "discovered" anything about the scout, including the sling. In his writings he always gave ample credit to the various aspects of a proper scout rifle. He mentioned the British 2 point system numerous times and also mentioned Ching numerous times. I think the only thing he claimed regarding the scout rifle development was that the "committee" brought together the numerous aspects from different rifles/concepts into one package.

Col Cooper was very opinionated but his opinions were based on facts and considerable testing. He was quick to discard what didn't work.

So true! After I finally met the man and talked to him I had a far greater respect for him. Prior to that I foolishly thought who does this guy think he is? I have had occasion to try many of his recomendations and they ALL work as he intended them to.

The scout rifle does exactly what it is intended for, fast acquisition at modest ranges. Great for most deer hunting where I hunt!

Hang fire is it a 6.5 or a 7.35?

Artful
02-06-2011, 02:21 AM
well if we are posting pic's of our heavy scouts
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/5726/dsc05652sw2.jpg