PDA

View Full Version : Saeco sprue plate screw backing out

saz
01-21-2011, 04:42 PM
I have a saeco 441 (240gr Keith .44 mold) that I bought used. When I cast with it the first time the sprue plate screw would back out every time I cut the sprue so I had to tighten it every time also. I called Redding and they sent me 2 new washers. I replaced it and I still have the same problem. I even got the mold up to operating temp and it is still backing out when you cut the sprue, no matter if you give it a good smack, or try to cut the sprue slowly. HELP! This mold casts BEAUTIFUL boolits but it is driving me nuts!!!!!

deltaenterprizes
01-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Is it the one with the sprue plate screw on the side over the screw that holds the mold to the handles?

stubshaft
01-21-2011, 05:26 PM
What are you using to loob the sprue plate?

BCall
01-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Is the set screw tight on the sprue plate screw? Drop a piece of lead shot in the set screw hole and tighten it down. Should keep the sprue plate screw from turning. Then lube the sprue plate screw with Bullplate.

stubshaft
01-21-2011, 05:33 PM
I used to have the same problem with my SAECO molds but never put lead shot into the retaining screw hole I just tightened the snot out of the retaining screw. Could be that the lead shot is melting when you reach casting temp and not providing any tension to the sprue plate screw.

saz
01-22-2011, 01:22 AM
Yes, it is the one over the handle screw.

I use bullplate on all my molds. It is even doing it when the mold is cool. When you tighten the snot out of it, it will still break loose, or you have to beat the heck out of the plate to get it to pivot and cut the sprue.

GabbyM
01-22-2011, 02:27 AM
Is the set screw tight on the sprue plate screw? Drop a piece of lead shot in the set screw hole and tighten it down. Should keep the sprue plate screw from turning. Then lube the sprue plate screw with Bullplate.

ditto on the lead shot. Can't recal it ever not working.

BCall
01-22-2011, 02:38 AM
Yes, it is the one over the handle screw.

I use bullplate on all my molds. It is even doing it when the mold is cool. When you tighten the snot out of it, it will still break loose, or you have to beat the heck out of the plate to get it to pivot and cut the sprue.

Somehow I still don't think you are getting the set screw tight. You should tighten the sprue plate screw just enough to hold the sprue plate so it still swings freely, then tighten the set screw on the side of the mold. On my Saeco's, it's on the end in a deep hole. I need to use the long end of an allen wrench to reach and tighten it.

saz
01-22-2011, 04:58 AM
I think there may be some lead or something stuck in the set screw hole. I am going to hit it up with a tap today......

saz
01-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Yep, there was lead in the set screw hole. I had to run a tap through to get it out. PERFECT! Now to warm up the pot........

Thanks Guys!