PDA

View Full Version : Paul Matthews Bullet

StrawHat
01-21-2011, 06:50 AM
In the January/February issue of HANDLOADER magazine, Paul Matthews wrote an article about a "utility" bullet he designed for 45 caliber bored rifles. It is best described as a short blunt bullet of about 310 grains when cast from his alloy. The nose was made to be a bore riding design in his rifle, a Ruger #3, and is almost wadcutter blunt. Has anyone used this or a similar boolit?

I was not able to upload a photo of the bullet but PM mentioned it was a "...dead ringer for the old Belding & Mull 454260 pictured in the 1947 catalog..."

A 300 grain boolit with a broad blunt nose would have some applications in a walking around rifle so I was curious if anyone had used this one.

Artful
01-21-2011, 09:40 AM
You might check and see if swede of NOE has any of the 360 grain FN left from this group buy
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=100138

or if you want gas check see about a
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=94769

excess650
01-21-2011, 10:38 AM
The bullet you speak of was also in Paul's article in the 1990 Handloader Cast Bullet Annual. I don't have anything like it, but I did paper patch LBT 452-255WFN and use them with reasonable results. I'm thinking an ogival wadcutter might be as good or better. It would have a longer bearing surface and use more of the case capacity.

StrawHat
01-22-2011, 06:26 AM
Artful, thanks for the link. Beautiful boolits but not what I was trying to describe. So far, I am unable to post the drawing from the article but I will keep trying. There is no taper to the nose section. Just a slight rounding to the meplat.

45 2.1
01-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Take a look at the 462-210 PB (Gallery) here:

http://www.brp.castpics.net/R2.html

Its a updated copy of the old Lyman/Government 457127 used during the Trapdoor era for a practise boolit. This one flies pretty well to 75 yds and is blunt enough to do some damage.

There have been copies of the Matthews boolit made and I believe one old mold manufacturer made something close to it. It will fly like a brick a lower velocities and has little advantage over anything else. Something new to play with though.

Doc Highwall
01-22-2011, 02:51 PM
I have a Lyman 457676-510gr 20-1 nose pour that Paul Matthews designed.

StrawHat
01-23-2011, 03:03 PM
I was able to copy the drawing,

zuke
01-24-2011, 03:57 PM
I think that would give a good,solid thump.

Dale53
01-24-2011, 05:27 PM
strawhat;
What is the issue number of the Handloader magazine with the bullet pictured? You mention the months but neither 2010 nor 2011 December-January nor February of those years have it. I would like to read Paul's article. I can vaguely remember his article but would like to re-read it. If I had the issue number, it would be relatively easy to find (if it is not before I started collecting them).

Dale53

turbo1889
01-25-2011, 01:58 AM
Send that drawing of yours to Tom at Accurate Molds(.com) and he should be able to have it as a cataloged design for you within a couple days for you to place an order, and your order will be on your door step in two weeks or less.

It won't be exactly the same since with his machining process he can’t do square side lube grooves or lube grooves quite that deep (but almost). He has to have at least 35-degree angle on the side of the lube grooves and can do a maximum of 0.035" deep lube grooves but he should be able to come very close to reproducing that boolit from your sketch there on short order in a "one off" custom mold for a reasonable price.

StrawHat
01-25-2011, 07:49 AM
strawhat;
What is the issue number of the Handloader magazine with the bullet pictured? You mention the months but neither 2010 nor 2011 December-January nor February of those years have it. I would like to read Paul's article. I can vaguely remember his article but would like to re-read it. If I had the issue number, it would be relatively easy to find (if it is not before I started collecting them).

Dale53

Sorry, sometimes when I type, the fingers don't keep up with what little mind I have left. Same when proofreading.

It is in the Jan-Feb 1989 issue. Sorry, I don't have the issue number.