PDA

View Full Version : "help...my base pin is STUCK!"

exile
01-21-2011, 02:12 AM
I purchased a new Ruger Blackhawk in .357 magnum yesterday, have had the cylinder out several times for cleaning today. Took the cylinder out again and my base pin is stuck, will not go back in. I have several other Ruger single-actions (.41 and .22) and this has never happened before. On the 6 1/2 inch model, the ejector rod prevents the base pin from being fully removed, but it has functioned fine prior to this.

I know this is a simple thing to you guys, but it has got me frustrated.

I tried a few drops of break-free where the base pin goes in but no luck.

Thanks.

exile

LeMat
01-21-2011, 02:22 AM
I'm sure you've already checked, but you know that little crescent shaped relief on the base pin? Sometimes I've had the base pin revolve just enough that it doesn't quite match up with the curve of the bbl and it'll act like its stuck.

Wish I had a picture to show what I'm talking about, but you should be able to see it if you look closely.

Just a thought.

exile
01-21-2011, 02:43 AM
Yes I have, the crescent shaped piece is turned so that it is facing outward, not inward as I think it should, but I cannot get it to turn around the right way, it is really stuck. Thanks though.

exile

hickstick_10
01-21-2011, 04:01 AM
If it got that way stuck being put back in place.............it can come back out. Provided you didn't force anything, have patience with it and it will come out. Pull back out gently at first and wiggle.

I had the same problem and then it dissapeared after getting stuck a couple times.

exile
01-21-2011, 05:20 AM
With patience, wiggling and prayer, I finally got the crescent shaped piece turned around so that it was facing the barrel and was able to get it back in. Just to be sure, I took the cylinder out again and was able to get it back in with no trouble. Funny that this never happened with my .41 magnum. Thanks guys.

My do I need to learn patience!

(Signing off, 3:19 a.m. C.T.) :groner:

exile

01-21-2011, 08:46 AM
If it ever happens again, loosen/remove the ejector rod housing...you will then be able to re-position the base pin without having to resort to "wiggling and prayer".

44man
01-21-2011, 09:22 AM
With patience, wiggling and prayer, I finally got the crescent shaped piece turned around so that it was facing the barrel and was able to get it back in. Just to be sure, I took the cylinder out again and was able to get it back in with no trouble. Funny that this never happened with my .41 magnum. Thanks guys.

My do I need to learn patience!

(Signing off, 3:19 a.m. C.T.) :groner:

exile
Yeah, they all do it. I hope you lubed the pin, front of the cylinder bushing and the ratchet that turns the cylinder. I use a touch of STP oil treatment on all of my revolvers.
It seems to also act as a cushion against recoil.

exile
01-21-2011, 02:34 PM
No, but I will, thank you for the tip.

kelbro
01-22-2011, 11:57 PM
I use a touch of STP oil treatment on all of my revolvers.

STP still makes me think of 43Man!

http://www.gonascargo.com/images/richard-petty.jpg

King Richard, of course.

44man
01-23-2011, 09:59 AM
STP still makes me think of 43Man!

http://www.gonascargo.com/images/richard-petty.jpg

King Richard, of course.
I like that! :drinks:
The stuff is just great on a revolver. None of mine show any wear after years and years of shooting.
To tell the truth, I think RCBS case lube is STP.

Wally
01-23-2011, 10:25 AM
On my Ruger Superblackhawk, Ruiger did away with that notch. The new one will never jam as would the orginal style base pin.

exile
01-23-2011, 03:40 PM
So, the base pin, the front of the cylinder bushing and the rachet. Anyplace else I should use STP on a Ruger single-action? Also, what do you guys think of Belt Mountain base pins, are they beneficial or just hype? I don't plan to shoot very hot loads in any of my guns, below max for sure.

exile

44man
01-23-2011, 04:30 PM
So, the base pin, the front of the cylinder bushing and the rachet. Anyplace else I should use STP on a Ruger single-action? Also, what do you guys think of Belt Mountain base pins, are they beneficial or just hype? I don't plan to shoot very hot loads in any of my guns, below max for sure.

exile
A pin that is too tight can inhibit cylinder movement needed for boolit alignment. It is the same as eliminating all side to side play.
A good revolver is never locked up super tight.

Char-Gar
01-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Yep, you turn the notch the wrong way, and they for sure and for certain will stick. When you get tired of wiggling, lubing and such, use a brass punch on the cresent and tap with a little hammer. I sad "tap" and not hit". It will come out just fine and no damage will be done.

exile
01-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I went out and put 100 rounds through the Blackhawk today, since the temp was up to 32 degrees. My wife fired a couple of cylinders, she likes the .38's, but the Blackhawk needs some magnum loads, in my opinion. Anyway, thanks for all the input.

exile

44man
01-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. I went out and put 100 rounds through the Blackhawk today, since the temp was up to 32 degrees. My wife fired a couple of cylinders, she likes the .38's, but the Blackhawk needs some magnum loads, in my opinion. Anyway, thanks for all the input.

exile
32*----Is it summer where you live? :bigsmyl2:

Char-Gar
01-25-2011, 01:58 PM
It is 63 today in deep South Texas and we are having a cold snap. It will warm up to the high 70s day after tomorrow.

exile
01-25-2011, 03:49 PM
You guys are hilarious. I would love to come to Texas sometime and hunt hogs with my .41 magnum. My wife lived in Huntsville TX for a while when she worked for Campus Crusade. She liked it.

exile

man.electric
01-26-2011, 12:41 AM
Also, what do you guys think of Belt Mountain base pins, are they beneficial or just hype? I don't plan to shoot very hot loads in any of my guns, below max for sure.

exile

I have seen some Ruger cylinders with so much end shake on them that accuracy has to be affected. I say has to be affected because I am not a good enough shot to know the difference. The Belt Mountain pins are not over-sized, they are properly sized and that makes a huge difference in the feel of your sixgun. Now that I have tightened up the Blackhawk, my new(old style) Bisley Vaquero will have a Belt Mountain locking pin in it before I fire the first round because it helped so much.

Lloyd Smale
01-26-2011, 09:06 AM
I like belt moutain pins and have them in all my sixguns. do they help accuracy? I doubt it but they do go along ways toward preventing base pins from jumping and i surely dont want that happening in the field. Go to brownells and buy yourself a base pin pulling tool. They work great on stubborn pins.

44man
01-26-2011, 09:53 AM
Prevent wear and end shake with a good lube on the pin and cylinder. I use STP.
If your pin jumps out, then go to the new pin but I have never had one come out on me.
I don't know how man.electric cured end shake with a pin change???

Lloyd Smale
01-27-2011, 07:20 AM
pin size will have nothing to do with endshake. What i use for a lubricant on the base pin and both the ratchet and the front of the cylinder is white litium grease or tetra grease. Dont know if its any better then stp but it works. even some gun oil on those parts will go along ways toward keeping your gun from developing end shake.

44man
01-27-2011, 09:06 AM
pin size will have nothing to do with endshake. What i use for a lubricant on the base pin and both the ratchet and the front of the cylinder is white litium grease or tetra grease. Dont know if its any better then stp but it works. even some gun oil on those parts will go along ways toward keeping your gun from developing end shake.
You can tell if after a lot of rounds you still have lube left that gap pressure has not blown off. STP seems to hang on better then anything I have used. It seems to provide a cushion between parts too.
It amazes me how many guys shoot dry guns!