PDA

View Full Version : How many women reload?

Fly-guy
01-20-2011, 10:00 PM
It is apparent that a lot of women are interested in shooting sports and I've been wondering how many women reload their own ammunition.

stubshaft
01-20-2011, 10:33 PM
I'm sorry I understand you poll question but not the options?

Ben
01-20-2011, 10:39 PM
I don't think you could have made it anymore confusing ? Read the question and look at the options ? ? ?

curator
01-20-2011, 10:50 PM
You might as well ask how many women change their own oil or how many men change dirty diapers (probably more actually) It is a rare women that actually does her own reloading. I know two. They' re actually very good but uncommon. Almost every other women shooter I know relies on their main squeeze to do the reloading chore or simply buys factory.

justingrosche
01-20-2011, 10:59 PM
my daughter will occasionally give me a hand.http://http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l29/steelwkr/th_SUNP0042.jpg (http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l29/steelwkr/?action=view&current=SUNP0042.jpg)

Iowa Fox
01-20-2011, 11:13 PM
My wife helps and I enjoy her company. After 42 years of it she does a good job.

AZ-Stew
01-20-2011, 11:13 PM
Interresting poll. I'll be watching.

Regards,

Stew

GP100man
01-20-2011, 11:17 PM
My oldest (12yrs.) is gettin comfortable loading her 444brass shells for "her" 410 !

She got me to make it easy though ,I set her up with dippers for the powder & shot .

She does cut her own cards & does all the prep & loading to sealing herself !

She has her own note book & wrote it all down though !!!

We loaded some 243 ladder style for the santyclaws new 243 & the only thing she was`nt comfotable with was setting the seating die .

Bout got her trained to grab the glasses when she walks in though !!

*Paladin*
01-20-2011, 11:51 PM
I've never met a woman that loads. I'm sure they're out there, but I haven't seen one yet...

Down South
01-21-2011, 12:21 AM
Heck, around here I can hardly find a guy that reloads much less a woman. I don't know what it is about this area but few guys reload but just about all hunt or shoot. I may have been able to get my youngest daughter interested when she was younger but I missed that opportunity.
I didn't vote in the poll. It didn't make sense to me.

reloader28
01-21-2011, 12:49 AM
I didnt vote, but tho my wife and daughters rarely do help me, they do know the basics and do reload pistol and shotgun ammo sometimes. Those are progressive presses and more fun.

They have all cast some bullets and worked the lube/sizer too.

All 3 of my daughters and my wife have reloaded their own hunting ammo and shot their deer with them.

lwknight
01-21-2011, 12:49 AM
I don't get it either. Apparently the women reloaders who read this poll should check female and the men should check male. Maybe it would tell us who reads the forum but I doubt that it will have much reflection on how many women actually reload.

warf73
01-21-2011, 02:23 AM
My wife helps me with casting and reloading.

Artful
01-21-2011, 02:39 AM
My wife does help pick up the brass and sort it - does that count?

I have known maybe half a dozen women who reloaded for the family. Best one was Mrs. Love - woman had arthritis but they had the reloading set up in the laundry room and she was loading for John while waiting between working the washer and dryer. He always had ammo to spare at the match. Another was a team effort with Husband, wife and daughter all doing their part of the production process, it went from one station to the next, piles of emptys to loaded rounds like clock work.

During WW2 my Mom and Aunt made ammunition for the war - my mom had to quit as broke out from allergy to one of the chemicals used and my aunt graduated up to Artillery fuse inspector. Does that count?

hardcase54
01-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Both daughters and wife reload. Youngest is a shotgun NUT, oldest likes .22 hornet, wife had rather cast than reload. All " country girls".

HollowPoint
01-21-2011, 10:20 AM
I'd be much more interested to know how many women frequent this sight because they're interested in bullet casting or reloading.

Not counting those who may come here to keep tabs on husbands or boyfriends and such.

Strange as it may seem, I've often wondered what a womens view would be on some of the casting subjects that are discussed here.

HollowPoint

wrench
01-21-2011, 12:18 PM
OK, here's one...:cool: Hi guys!
Female, shooter, reloader...sooooon to be boolit caster.
I shoot pistols and rifles, and admit to liking the time at my reloading bench almost as much as the actual shooting part.

white eagle
01-21-2011, 01:10 PM
the poll is a trick question
you are supposed to answer women

Down South
01-21-2011, 01:16 PM
OK, here's one...:cool: Hi guys!
Female, shooter, reloader...sooooon to be boolit caster.
I shoot pistols and rifles, and admit to liking the time at my reloading bench almost as much as the actual shooting part.
Hello Wrench, WOW, member since 2006 :shock:. That's great. It's good to see more women shooters, reloaders & casters.

Moonie
01-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Ok, guess it is time to teach my 12 year old to reload and cast. She wants to learn but had planned to wait until I got her a rifle. She was supposed to get one for her 12'th birthday but we had some responsibility issues with her a few months before that killed that idea for a year.

She does enjoy shooting my guns very much especially the AR-15 and 1911...

Von Gruff
01-21-2011, 03:00 PM
The only women I knew who were even into shooting were CASS shooters when I was involved a few years ago but even they relied on husbands - boyfriends to do thier loading for them. No doubt they are out there but I dont know any of them.

Von Gruff.

captain-03
01-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Don't know a one that actually reloads ... know several good shooters!

Harter66
01-21-2011, 11:45 PM
1 of my wifes girlfriends shoots 3-5000 38 supers per month. She uses a Dillon with a power pack about 6 hours per month. At that rate she's really running a production line,but every time she overhauls,bbls or resprings she has to tweek the load to get it all running again. Poor thing gets/has to wear out a 1911 every 5 years.

2wheelDuke
01-22-2011, 04:45 AM
I've only talked to 2 women that have had anything to do with reloading. One is on the board at the pistol club, she loads all of her own.

Another is a friend that helped her dad with some shotshell loading when she was young.

unclebill
01-22-2011, 06:03 AM
i have never met one.

btroj
01-22-2011, 08:41 AM
Who cares as lomg as they shoot?

HeavyMetal
01-22-2011, 10:58 AM
GO Wrench!

dnepr
01-22-2011, 01:26 PM
My girlfriend doesn't reload yet but she is really interested and is active shooter and hunter , she is the first woman that i have met that has any interest in reloading this spring I will be getting all the components together for her to develop a top notch hunting load for her 30-06 , It is a browning BAR mk II so i guess the trade off for having a hunting , fishing, Harley riding , shooting enthusiast, reloading girlfriend is I will have to chase brass from her semi auto lol , fair enough trade:grin:

tommygirlMT
01-22-2011, 04:25 PM
Well --- I voted "Female" --- I think that is how it is suppost to work

Loader and Caster --- when it comes to guns the bigger the better --- I really love big hand cannons like the BFRs and similar

I know two other gals that reload --- one swings the other way and thinks she is a guy for real --- so she really dont count --- plus I dont like her due to her being a witch spelled with a b which just makes her whole rainbow thing even more pathetic then it already is --- My man knows a few more that I really wouldn't say that I know but have met a time or two --- normally that would worry me since he really goes for the tomboyish gals (thus me) but he is trustworthy in such areas.

Daddy got me started when I was a kid mainly because he got sick of me shooting up all his ammmo as fast as he could load it --- Then there was the incident when mom found out he had taught me how to cast the boolits as well --- she about went through the ceiling and into orbit (her little girl working with super hot molten metal and all) --- anyway long story short get them started when their young --- be careful though you might create a monster.

zombiekiller
01-22-2011, 11:21 PM
My wife helps me in the first step of the reloading process...that would be the unloading/empty brass production step at the range.

stubshaft
01-22-2011, 11:39 PM
My wife helps me in the first step of the reloading process...that would be the unloading/empty brass production step at the range.

My wife would help me with part 2 (sorting). She would sit there and point out where all of the brass landed.:kidding:

MT Gianni
01-23-2011, 12:26 AM
While my wife enjoys shooting she neither loads nor reloads, just hands me an empty gun.

unclebill
01-23-2011, 09:46 AM
my best gal wants me to teach her.
(i think she's a keeper!)

tommygirlMT
01-23-2011, 12:44 PM
my best gal wants me to teach her.
(i think she's a keeper!)

LOL !!! Don't let here see that post !!! Also --- please remember to remove the bling before you fire up the casting pot --- if the gold chains get dunked in the pot while you bend over it they will disolve into the melt --- Also can you previde us with any real world cast boolit terminal ballistic reports --- considering your chosen profession of course --- Im assuming some actual enforcement has become necessary from time to time

:kidding: :kidding: :kidding: :mrgreen:

Sorry I just couldn't resist that wide open opertunity to pull your chain

NSP64
01-23-2011, 04:01 PM
TommygirlMT, you cast and load, but have you corrupted your "man" yet?

I didn't understand the poll either.

unclebill
01-23-2011, 04:12 PM
LOL !!! Don't let here see that post !!! Also --- please remember to remove the bling before you fire up the casting pot --- if the gold chains get dunked in the pot while you bend over it they will disolve into the melt --- Also can you previde us with any real world cast boolit terminal ballistic reports --- considering your chosen profession of course --- Im assuming some actual enforcement has become necessary from time to time

:kidding: :kidding: :kidding: :mrgreen:

Sorry I just couldn't resist that wide open opertunity to pull your chain

oops
she read this thread.....:p

Shooter6br
01-23-2011, 04:19 PM
==The only "reloading " my wife does is her wallet with my cash.Actually if i want any gun items and I say" Well I shouldnt spend the money:" she says " You deserve it" Besides she doent shoot so I can spend twice the money on me. LOL I am very lucky to her a good wife.

tommygirlMT
01-23-2011, 04:28 PM
TommygirlMT, you cast and load, but have you corrupted your "man" yet?

I didn't understand the poll either.

Depends on what you mean by "corrupted" --- yes he casts and loads himself as well and did before I met him if thats what you mean, he is kind of the opposite of me though and likes to load all the little itty bitty stuff 25-ACP, 410 slugs, and such --- as to other potential meanings you'll have to get more specific.

Unclebill, that was an excellent come back quip --- if I do say so myself

To clear the air in the matter though --- I don't actually think unclebill is a pimp --- and I ain't one of his girls --- my man goes by the screen name of "turbo1889" on this forum and others --- although he is probably going to give me "the look" for making that connection with all the trouble I've been stirring up on the handloads.com forum as of late --- he probably would prefer that connection be kept on the hush hush side

The Dove
01-23-2011, 04:36 PM
The wife could care less about casting, re-loading or guns in general. However, she don't mind me doing my thing and that works for us. She says "just don't let the BG get to me and you can do what you need to do."

I Love my Pretty

The Dove

NSP64
01-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Casting and reloading is what I meant. Good to know he is already a member here.

unclebill
01-23-2011, 04:38 PM
tommygirl
dont worry bout nuthin
i thought it was funny
and so did my bestest gal

wrench
01-23-2011, 08:56 PM
I know there are at least a couple of other women at my gun club that reload.

I started to reload out of necessity. I shoot lots of different military rifle calibers, and that got expensive, fast, if I wanted to shoot much.
Then as pistol ammo went up in price, I started to reload that, too.

It would have been great to have had a Dad or someone to teach me, I've done all my learning from books and the internet. A few of the guys at the range have been helpful, as well.

My friends are not gun people, they will usually look at me and pretend to listen for nearly a minute when I start to talk guns....:?

Hang Fire
01-23-2011, 09:04 PM
My wife has reloaded ammo since the 1960s, she will soon turn 70, and she still reloads for her pistols, and she is still an excellent shot.

Banging away with her Judge.

http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.com/P10100071.JPG

unclebill
01-24-2011, 07:06 AM
I started to reload out of necessity. I shoot lots of different military rifle calibers, and that got expensive, fast, if I wanted to shoot much.
Then as pistol ammo went up in price, I started to reload that, too.

It would have been great to have had a Dad or someone to teach me, I've done all my learning from books and the internet.
My friends are not gun people, they will usually look at me and pretend to listen for nearly a minute when I start to talk guns....:?

thats why i started too.
i cant afford ammo.

Boolseye
01-24-2011, 10:03 PM
right on, wrench, and all the other women...I've turned a couple women on to shooting, or at least helped them get comfortable with it.

jmsj
01-25-2011, 09:21 AM
My wife loves to shoot but I can't seem to get her into reloading or casting. My 10yr old daughter also loves to shoot and has spent many hours helping me reload. I have let her do every procedure in reloading but charging the cases with powder. Hopefully she will continue reloading into her adult life.
I did not vote either.

songdog53
01-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Close as my wife comes to loading it to holler and tell me time to eat. An of course any package i get goes on my reloading table. Somehow don't think that counts as loading except she loads my bench with packages.

AaronJ
01-27-2011, 03:24 PM
My wife has helped from time to time with some of the more mundane tasks such as trimming and deburring cases, but i doubt she will ever get into casting and loading her own ammo.

oso
01-27-2011, 04:26 PM
My wife reloads for shotgun (more difficult to seat the primers upside down.)
She is also great help getting wheel weights.

BlueNorther
01-27-2011, 05:38 PM
My wife just started reloading last year. She likes to shoot but doesn't like the recoil from my rifles. Bought her a .223 and she asked me to show her how to load. Now she does all her own. Next step is to cast for the .223 and she looking forward to getting into that.

Cowboy T
01-27-2011, 11:43 PM
"Miss B.H.C.", my cameralady, now reloads .38 Special. I had developed a powder-puff load specifically with her in mind. Bought her 1,000 brass and said, "they're yours on one condition: you learn how to reload them." She took me up it and is now reloading. Her first 500 rounds were done single-stage, hand-priming, weighing every charge--the old-fashioned way. Now she's on the turret press and loves it. [smilie=w:

Karen
01-28-2011, 12:44 AM
Dad gave me a .30 Carbine for my 12th birthday. So I have reloaded hundreds of .30 carbine.

PatMarlin
01-28-2011, 12:59 AM
Do you think it's safe? ... :shock: ..:kidding:

http://www.patmarlins.com/moochmonkey.jpg

Bad Water Bill
01-28-2011, 07:28 AM
Pat One question Everyone wants answered. How many hours did it take to comb that monkeys hair and get the shirt and coat to stay on?

tommygirlMT
01-29-2011, 06:33 AM
Safer then suggestion otherwise

shootingbuff
02-01-2011, 08:16 AM
Don't know if this counts, but my daughter has been helping me out / reloading since she was 5. She is 8 now and keeps asking me to reload. Since we relocated I don't do nearly the shooting I had so the requirement is way down. She handles the 550 and the single stage and progressive shotgun presses just fine. She only smashed her finger once, unlike her pops ;-). I keep her completely away from casting and smelting though.

patsher
02-12-2011, 01:12 AM
Well, I voted a long time ago on this thread, but didn't post a reply. Noticed the thread again tonight, and read through it. I really thought there were more of us females on here than this thread suggests!

I know my name, Pat, could be male or female; but this is to assure all you gents that I am definitely of the feminine persuasion! Somewhere on this board, a long time ago, I posted my story, but it probably got missed.

The general gist of it is that early in our family years, we (my husband, sons, and I) reloaded shotgun shells when Paul had some interest in trap shooting and since we had neither a pot to .... in nor a window to throw it out of, the only way we could afford it was to reload our own. Had a lot of fun. Then work and living intervened, and the family reloading faded away. But our oldest son continued reloading for his rifles and handguns during high school, and he and his friends were even trying to cast boolits (with little success-- leading problems). (They had no access to this treasure trove of knowledge we enjoy on this forum!!!)

Then, a few years ago, that same son began investing in some new guns, and stockpiling ammo, and he explained to me the SHTF fears then rampant. Well, I caught the bug, and decided to help him, figuring that if "they" really are on a collision course to take away our guns/ammo/components, that the best thing to do would be to become self-sufficient in the armament department. So I decided my help would consist of doing the reloading, and I decided I would do whatever was necessary to reload every caliber our son owned, as well as every caliber my husband and I own.

So you know where THAT took me! Reloading manuals, die sets, a new press, primers, all the little knick-knacks and gadgets, and some j-words at first. Then I figured up how much it was costing to buy jacketed, and figured maybe I could learn to cast some of my own, and landed here. Read a lot, asked questions (and enjoyed gracious and patient answers from so many people here) and learned so much that pretty soon I knew more than our son ever did.

So now -- I have a reloading room (carved out of a storage room where we keep all the home-canned fruit and veggies we put up every year) (I giggle every time I move the pickled beets over to make room for some boxes of boolits, or another press, or bags of brass (nicely passivated, thank you guys). My husband has been very supportive of my hobby. He's had some health problems over recent years, and finds that some of his medications have side effects so that he doesn't feel comfortable with the parts of reloading which demand NO ERROR, but is more than happy to help me with whatever I need. Today, for instance, he finished mounting the last of my presses on quick-change blocks, so now I can keep certain presses set up for particular calibers and save a lot of time.

I really like my Lee classic cast turret press. Have used it A LOT. I love taking our kids and older grandchildren and their friends to the range -- everyone gets to shoot a lot of different guns/rifles, and they get to be around firearms and learn to respect them and shoot safely, and find out how much fun all this can be -- we've had some GREAT family outings this way. A couple weeks ago, one of our 20-year old granddaughters announced that this (a shooting outing) is what she wants to celebrate her 21st birthday, since she doesn't drink! Now how's THAT for cool!

Anyway, reloading for these family outings really gets my shoulder to hurting, pulling that lever four times for every completed round. So I'm graduating into some progressive presses. Still in a learning curve there, but it's coming.

And, of course, with the casting it's more and more molds (I think I'm up to 23 now, with 3 more MiHec molds coming as soon as they come off the machine). I don't know how much lead I've got gathered up, but it's got to be approaching a ton, I'll bet.

I can't believe the amount of money one can spend on this hobby! We have five kids and 14 grandkids and 5 great-grandkids, and most of them are cool with the idea of grandma reloading and casting. Some of them are even proud of it. I think it's a great hobby. I also think it's a great way to teach our kids something about the second amendment, and an opportunity as time goes along to help them think about what it means to be a patriot. Really. And even what duty is about. And freedom. And duty to maintain freedom. I don't want to be preachy, but if we don't teach our kids, who will?

I haven't been in the military, I was too busy making babies, I guess. But I can sure support them. I can honor those who HAVE served, and I can do my part to help preserve those very freedoms for which they served.

So. That's me. Grandma, reloader, caster -- and proud of it!

PatMarlin
02-12-2011, 01:35 AM
THAT is a great American story ...:drinks:

Dannix
02-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Reloading is not as much fun without Dad.
That's saddening concluding comment Karen. I think I can speak for the board as a whole when I say that we wish you the best.

Great post here Pat. We need more grandmas in this country like you!

dnepr
02-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Well you can officially add 1 more to the list. Last night the better half loaded up her first 20 rounds of 30-06 for herself, with minimal help ( interference) from me . She enjoyed it and wants to do some more [smilie=w:

9.3X62AL
02-12-2011, 02:45 PM
I am the Designated Family Reloader, for the most part. Marie loves to shoot, so we have an arrangement--she does most of the cooking, I do the reloading and gun cleaning. That works, because it plays to our respective strengths and skill levels. I am also the Minister Of Creepy Bugs And Uncute Wildlife, but I digress.

gray wolf
02-14-2011, 07:58 PM
WOW Pat !
Great story,
If I had known that before I would have cleaned up that brass a little better.
Hope it worked out for you.

Julie and I do most things together. She loves to shoot and hunt and cooks a great meal.
I do most of the reloading and can't say I mind at all.
It's small pay back for all that she does.
However Sophie the little Labra doodle Fur kid has been looking
at the handle on my RCBS turret press with a degree of interest, and she is a female.

Sam

wheelgunner
02-14-2011, 09:13 PM
I've had a woman in each of my last 2 reloading classes. One is brand new to reloading, the other's husband already reloads and she is using his equipment on her own now.

patsher
02-15-2011, 05:33 PM
That's cool. You know, another reason I like reloading and casting is that it's QUIET time. Usually alone. You know how hard that kind of time is to find, for a mom or a grandma? I'm just all alone, down in my little grandma-cave -- at least until little footsteps come down the stairs, and "grandma, whatcha doin?" And that's okay, too, cause it's something else for them to help with. The 4-year old helped me "pull the handle" the other day, little eyes looking everything over, asking lots of questions, saying, "I see -- this (over here) does that, right?" They SUCH boys -- figuring out how things work, wanting to get their hands on everything! And then, later, upstairs, "I HELPED GRANDMA PUT THE PRESS TOGETHER! didn't I, grandma?" LOL!! LOL!!!

Sometimes I think they like that as much as they like helping me COOK!

And they even know to go without asking to wash their hands with soap and cold water after helping in the reloading room.

This really is a great hobby.

Range Gypsy
03-13-2011, 09:32 AM
Well I just saw this thread.

You can count me in as a reloader, and caster. I love it and reload for everything from BPC to pistol ,shot gun and hunting rifles. 25/20,32Colt, 357, 38/40, 44mag, 44/40, 45colt, 35Rem, 308MX, 40/65 , 12ga and 20 ga That is the short list there are others less often. :cbpour:

I think I enjoy loading for the old ones the most and making those antique rifles shoot to their best potential.

In my neck of the woods there are few women even shooting (I have met 3, and one of those has given up) Our newest Cowgirl may become a reloader but she would be the only one I have met.

I really can't understand why more women don't shoot . We shouldn't let the boys have all the fun.
Come on girls step up and play too! :Fire:

Range Gypsy

Boondocker
03-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Well --- I voted "Female" --- I think that is how it is suppost to work

Loader and Caster --- when it comes to guns the bigger the better --- I really love big hand cannons like the BFRs and similar

I know two other gals that reload --- one swings the other way and thinks she is a guy for real --- so she really dont count --- plus I dont like her due to her being a witch spelled with a b which just makes her whole rainbow thing even more pathetic then it already is --- My man knows a few more that I really wouldn't say that I know but have met a time or two --- normally that would worry me since he really goes for the tomboyish gals (thus me) but he is trustworthy in such areas.

Daddy got me started when I was a kid mainly because he got sick of me shooting up all his ammmo as fast as he could load it --- Then there was the incident when mom found out he had taught me how to cast the boolits as well --- she about went through the ceiling and into orbit (her little girl working with super hot molten metal and all) --- anyway long story short get them started when their young --- be careful though you might create a monster.

Thats what I do for my youngest daughter, as I keep loading 45 acp's loaded for her to shoot. She is 21 now, lol when she was 14 I bought a 22/45 for her to shoot. She shot maybe 50 rounds out of it and grabbed my 1911 and all I do is keep loading mags for her at the range. Heck I shoot to 22 more than she did. She will sometime lend a hand loading but won't actually do it herself.:cbpour:

Moonie
03-14-2011, 10:40 AM
12 year old daughter has started resizing my cast boolits, was just bugging me yesterday for some more boolits to size...

Think it's time to heat up the pot.

bslim
03-25-2011, 08:14 PM
My wife loves shooting. I can layout numerous rounds and she wil shoot them all! Reload? That's like doing laundry. She don't comprehend.

10 ga
03-26-2011, 10:42 AM
My youngest daughter just got her CC permit and thinks she wants a Judge! LOL! She in only 103 lbs. and wears a size 0. Where would she hide a Judge? She helps out in the shed but does her ML all alone, so that's a yes on reloading. She is a good shot and gets better all the time. With my declining eyesight and her interest she has probably surpassed me in the physical ability but hasn't quite got the "mental" part of shooting down to instinct yet. Dad still wins most of the matches. She is 22 and getting her masters in "special ed" at JMU and loves the outdoors and people. She has gradually built up her arsenal and loves to pop the caps. I'll be so glad when spring break is here and she comes home, groundhogs beware! 10

tommygirlMT
03-27-2011, 02:53 AM
Sounds like the judge would be a purse gun for her --- that is unless she wears a dress/skirt --- you would be supprised what you can hide under an ankle length full pleat dress/skirt

ku4hx
12-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Since I started in 1969, I've met exactly zero female hand loaders/reloaders and I think that is not a good thing. Given the results concerning the age of those of us who roll our own, taken to the extreme, this is a doomed hobby. The poll on replacement hand loaders didn't show any encouraging results either. And that really disturbs me. My son and daughter (31 & 35 and both shooters) are fully into the instant gratification thing when it comes to certain activities. Their view on ammunition is daddy gives me all I want and if I want more there's always Wal Mart.

2wheelDuke
12-14-2012, 06:34 PM
I've only talked to 2 females with much knowledge of reloading, and neither currently reload. One of the hospital secretaries has said she wants to learn to reload. She's my mother's age, but I believe in old dogs learning new tricks. I've offered to teach her, she can use my equipment enough to make a decision of what to buy herself.

Jim
12-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Janet's not a full blown loader, but she does like to help me process brass.

HighHook
12-14-2012, 07:30 PM
My Daughter helps me process brass once in a while. Its great quality time talking about life.

scottiemom
12-15-2012, 06:07 PM
I have helped Jim a bit with the reloading-it is quite therapeutic for me actually. it is nice to do something totally different than work. After being inspired by Pat - I may have to take over one of the presses in the gun room!

David2011
12-16-2012, 12:12 AM
Several USPSA/IPSC shooters I've known who were women in South Louisiana and East Texas did their own reloading and could carry on a conversation on the benefits of their favorite VV powder over some else's Winchester powder. A few of them kicked my tail regularly on the course of fire. That kind of shooting requires a serious volume of rounds and a real committment to shooting. My hat is off to my self sufficient female friends.

David

boltons75
12-18-2012, 04:17 AM
My wife and daughter have both helped me prep cases, size boolits and load. My daughter loves spending the time with me.

gandydancer
12-18-2012, 04:25 AM
How many women reload thier own ammunition?
Male
Female

Do you work for the government??

BK7saum
12-18-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm hoping to get my daughters involved. They are 4 and 5 and they help with seating bullets on long range rifle ammunition. They both like to shoot their BB gun and we occasionally shoot an 1894 .357 and a 39A .22 with me.

I hope to get them more involved with shooting and reloading. Neither has expressed an interest in hunting yet. Well, they each say they want to shoot a big deer or bear or other wildlife, but the actual shooting of game, they are hesitant about. I do plan to leave that up to them. If and when they are ready to pull the trigger on a deer, great. I figure at about 8-10, they might like to hunt. But if I can get them involved in the shooting sports, it's a win for me.

My wife also likes to shoot. I might not have been thinking ahead when I taught her to shoot. We occasionally shoot an informal round robin competition at a 2/3 IPSC plate with my 3" model 60 Smith. Start at 10 yards and keep backing up a few yards each round. My wife usally comes in second in front of my cousin, his boys and a few other guys.

I find that women are generally better, more accurate shots. It seems that they are better at the fine motor skills that are involved with maintaining sight alignment and trigger squeeze.

So, I don't have any women reloaders......YET!

hermans
12-22-2012, 08:55 AM
A fellow IPSC shooter here in my region, a woman, reloads her own 38 SC ammo on a Dillon 650. She is quite good, and all her shots goes off mostly in the targets!

seagiant
12-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Hi,
I guess this is some girls reloading!

Andrew Mason
12-26-2012, 04:22 AM
i am working on getting my girl friend to start reloading.

i am building up a set up for her to reload her own .410 shells.
but i do know that it will take a while to get her into it

seagiant
12-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Hi,
Ok,I'll play along!

GARD72977
12-26-2012, 08:46 AM
That is quite a little production team you have!

seagiant
12-26-2012, 12:09 PM
That is quite a little production team you have!

Hi,
Thanks! I always was a sucker for blondes!!![smilie=1:

Reverend Al
03-22-2013, 12:27 PM
One young fellow that I worked with years ago always used to say: "I'm looking for a good woman that likes to reload, but doesn't like to shoot ..." (He DID like to shoot!)
;)

429421Cowboy
03-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Miss K likes to sit and chat with me while i load, she has watched quite a bit, says she never knows when she may need to do it! That is the part of her that is like me, wanting to know things that might come in handy someday if things ever hit the fan. I wait till she is there to load for her .270, then we do it together, actually speeds up case prep and such having two people working.

300winmag
03-22-2013, 01:03 PM
As to the OP I would have to vote Male, as I am the only member on the forum for the household, but the wife and both of my daughter's reload. Since the girls are on there own, now with husbands and each have a baby, they have there own reloading setup and shoot there own and are teaching their husbands.

Brittany
03-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Mt wife some times helps me with prep on cases, but she perfers to shoot them. Charlie

Raven_Darkcloud
03-23-2013, 07:53 PM
My little girl helps with case prep and likes to pull the handle on the press. She is a reloader in the making.

dilly
03-23-2013, 09:41 PM
My wife will help a bit on occasion. It is very much appreciated.

JCT
03-26-2013, 10:35 AM
I'm a "girl" and I reload for my 9mm, 38 spc and .45ACP Trying to convince myself to start casting for my 1911s, but don't have the time to look for lead. Have almost pulled the trigger 10 times on a Lee IV pot. Sigh.

runfiverun
03-27-2013, 11:30 PM
lead can plain out just be bought.
look in the swap section here or buy it from the foundry like the commercial guy's do.
you can still save a bunch of cash going that route.

Beau Cassidy
03-28-2013, 08:09 PM
I'm a "girl" and I reload for my 9mm, 38 spc and .45ACP Trying to convince myself to start casting for my 1911s, but don't have the time to look for lead. Have almost pulled the trigger 10 times on a Lee IV pot. Sigh.

What's yer '20? Maybe someone on here will have a spare ingot or two to get you going?

ncbearman
03-28-2013, 08:16 PM
What's yer '20? Maybe someone on here will have a spare ingot or two to get you going?

He means where are you at :o Like he said, let us know and I bet a few of us will send you some lead. By the way welcome!

country gent
03-29-2013, 12:52 PM
For us reloading/ shooting was a family thing. Wife daughters son and I would work thru prepping brass. To cleaning and priming. We worked together and always had fun with it. At one time I loaded 308/7.62 by the bucket full. LOL I would deprime, son would trim, one daughter would inside deburr, one would outside deburr, wife would uniform flash holes and primer pockets. On occasions when I got behind on loading the wife would put together ammo on the dillon to gets us through the next match. One of her last "birthday presents" tome was an Harrels powder measure. She was killed in a car accident 11 years ago. I normally did the actual loading as I loaded on 650 dillons and there wasnt much for others to do.

NVScouter
03-29-2013, 01:11 PM
I meet gun women here and there but only about two that reload over a year.

I'm always willing to help interested folks use some of my gear or lead to try it before you buy it. I love casting and reloading to relax, slow, quiet, methodical. At work I'm very busy and have to be extremely out of the box. Some times it just nice to be the ditchdigger.........

JCT
03-31-2013, 10:26 PM

I'm in Tucson, AZ - just been here a year.

You guys are a real welcoming bunch! I've been lurking for awhile, reading a ton, trying to convince myself to take the next step. runfiverun - I've read tons of your posts and have found them very informative!

So I finally took the plunge, Lee 4-20 was delivered yesterday, will likely go with the Accurate H&G 068 clone in a 4-capacity aluminum once I slug my bore. Will likely pan lube + Lee sizer to start. This will give me full autonomy from buying ammo for my SA Range Officer and Les Baer PII and I am pretty thrilled. I will start digging on the swap forum for ingots.

Thanks to all!

XWrench3
04-01-2013, 10:29 AM
my 9 year old daughter helps sometimes, does that count?

Fishman
04-01-2013, 12:00 PM
My daughter used to help me but she is now married so no more free help. My son likes it too, but not all the time. Recently I bought my wife an old single stage CH "H" press for Valentine's day (no it wasn't the only thing I got her) and to my surprise, she wanted to use it. She has been merrily decapping and trimming brass on several occasions and seems to really enjoy it. I may have to rename the man cave to just "the reloading room".

My paternal grandmother ran a lathe during the war manufacturing brass artillery casings. She was British and survived a few close calls with bombs hitting the factory. I think that counts as a dedicated reloader, don't you?

justing
04-02-2013, 09:08 AM
the wife spent 30 min or so with me a couple weeks ago

gareth96
04-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Don't all those girls on the cover of Blue Press reload?

snaketail
04-02-2013, 03:14 PM
My ex got reloaded 4 times. I think the last will one will be a keeper for her.