PDA

View Full Version : scratched top of mold

bigmike13
01-20-2011, 06:11 PM
So I got my new NOE 45 mold in the other day and when I opened the sprue to inspect, the sprue lightly scratched the top of the mold. I figure this should not be too big of a problem but figured I would ask if there is anything I should do to correct this or just let it ride?

btroj
01-20-2011, 06:15 PM
It would take a DEEP scratch to concern me. A few lite scratches are part of the game when it comes to AL moulds. AL is soft enough that minor scratches are a fact of life, bull plate will reduce them, but not stop them.

Take a deep breath and go cast with it. That will make you feel better.

Blammer
01-20-2011, 06:51 PM
feel with finger nails if it's getting deep if it is, look for the source and hone it a tad.

I have a few light "scrape'' marks on the top of my mould and it works just fine.
Bullplate helps with this.

Ben
01-20-2011, 07:09 PM
I find that the very edges of the sprue plate will sometimes have " burrs " on them. These burrs will cut and gouge the top of the mold block until they are removed. I take Lyman molds, Lee Molds, SAECO, RCBS and all others and take the sprue plate off the mold.

Then, take a very fine cut file and " roll " the edge of the sprue plate a little. Finish with 220 grit and then 320 grit sand paper to a super smooth finish. Reassemble, get the mold up to temp, and put a SUPER thin coat of Bullplate on the sprue plate and on the top of the mold block. Be very careful to keep the Bullplate out of the mold cavities. Excessive tension of the sprue plate on the mold block surface causes accelerated galling also on aluminum molds and to some degree iron molds also.. Helps to loosen up the sprue plate so that it isn't so tight against the blocks. Works for me.

bigmike13
01-20-2011, 10:23 PM
thank you guys for setting me straight, "take a breath" is good advice

MtGun44
01-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Loosen sprue plate and lube with Bull Plate lube from Bull Shop, link at bottom of page.

Bill