PDA

View Full Version : This swaging stuff looks cewl!!

01-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Is there a Beginner's guide anywhere so I can learn enough to give this a try?

wallenba
01-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Info here http://www.corbins.com/ snd some here too http://www.ch4d.com/ and you can search youtube for some videos too.

Ickisrulz
01-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Is there a Beginner's guide anywhere so I can learn enough to give this a try?

Check out Ammosmith.com

He has a whole series using the inexpensive CH4D dies and a Rock Chucker press. This is the easiest and fastest way into swaging.

Corbin's has a lot of information...but it takes forever to wade through...and it's expensive stuff.

01-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Thanks! I'll get to studying...

ANeat
01-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Ive actually learned more reading on here than about anyplace else

mold maker
01-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Ive actually learned more reading on here that about anyplace else

And about most anything/everything. I've even learned lots of things, I didn't know I wanted to know.

mold maker
01-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Ive actually learned more reading on here that about anyplace else

And about most any/everything. I've even learned lots of things, I didn't know I wanted to know.
I've been introduced to swaging, and hardness treatments. I now know how to turn almost worthless .40 brass, and free range lead into really good .44 mag hunting and defensive bullets, that rival the best factory made.
I've learned the correct way to check and match bullet to bore.
To think I struggled, in the dark, for so many years.
:coffeecom:lol:

BwBrown
01-21-2011, 02:01 PM
While I've been reloading for over 40 years, casting nearly as long, I've only been swaging for a few - started with an old Herter's Super Bullet Maker and 1/2 jackets.

I have really been into "big time" swaging a few months. The biggest thing I have learned is that there are a bunch of folks on this site who are MUCH smarter than I am - I mostly listen/read and learn. You can spend weeks going through the old threads on this and a couple other sites - time well spent.

Watch for used equipment, start small and grow, learn, enjoy.
Bob

BT Sniper
01-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Check out the links.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=70468

I got to say the best way to get into this hobby is with making 40 or 44 cal bullets from the 9mm and 40 S&W brass. It is very easy and not to expensive with incredible results. Lots posted here about these two projects as well as many others. Yes just about all you need to know can be found here.

Good shooting!

BT

BwBrown
01-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Just thought I'd share a tip that has helped me. My purpose for getting into swaging is not necessarily cost, but is more a matter of my desire to be less reliant on retail supplies. Using BT's dies and notching dies, it becomes (at least for me) a multi-step precess:

Annealing
Neck expaansion/flaring
Core seating
Notching
Tip/hollow point forming
Final round-over

I had an old Lyman Tru-Line, put a 7/8-14 turret head on it. Now at one station I have four options:
BT Notcher
BT Round-over
9mm case flare
10mm case flare

I slip a 40sw shell holder into the univ adapter for neck flaring (Will use a 9mm shell holder when I get into the 357 cal.), and a 44 mag holder for notching and round-over - keeps them all more or less (perfectly?) centered.
Handy!
Bob