PDA

View Full Version : 45 ACP Brass

ron brooks
11-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Have a question about 45 ACP brass. I bought a large lot. I've noticed that some of the cases, nota lot, but I hate to lose any, have large flash holes. I mean like really large. Makes me wonder if these weren't drilled out for wax bullets except they are 45 ACP.

So should I just go ahead and use them, we are talking 45 suto so it's not a high pressure load, but I don't want to take stupid chances. The one thing that has me worried is too much pressure causing the primer to back out.

Thanks,

Ron

Joey
11-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Try one large pistol primer and see how it fits. If it is military brass, you would have to enlarge the primer hole to accept a reload primer.

BruceB
11-04-2006, 10:04 PM
It's most likely the cases from certain "lead-free" ammo, which uses a different primer. That particular primer needs a larger flsah-hole.

If it is this type of brass, Winchester has stated (and others have confirmed) that it's perfectly OK to reload it with normal primers and powder charges. For my own purposes, I'd sort out those cases with large flasholes and load them as a separate group, just in the interests of uniformity...and NO, I don't know if that would be of any benefit whatever.

versifier
11-04-2006, 10:15 PM
That is also my understanding. I found a box of them in the brass bucket at the range, reloaded them with my usual mild loads, and tried them out to see if they behaved differently. A small POA shift was all I noticed. No more variation than I notice between different lots and brands of brass normally. Segregate them if accuracy is vital, otherwise treat them like other plinkers.

ron brooks
11-04-2006, 10:57 PM
Okay, thanks. I'll give them a go. Just didn't want to be penny wise pound foolish.

Much appreciated,

Ron

BD
11-06-2006, 07:51 PM
I've a few of these in my brass mix and I haven't treated them any differently. No problems so far. Now the NT brass with the small primer pockets and the .45 GAP brass are about enough to piss an old scrounger off.
BD

robertbank
11-06-2006, 09:03 PM
Makes my scrap dealer happy!

Take Care

Bob