PDA

View Full Version : What can I use for windbreaks?

Markbo
01-20-2011, 03:33 PM
I have 2 ways I want to use a windbreak - or more just to contain the heat. One is on a cast iron pot I use for dipping on a coleman stove. I just want to put a skirt around it so it will hold an even heat better.

The other is to put around a turkey fryer stand for smelting. The pot I use is a converted propane tank and it has a little short skirt on it, but I want to enclose the base.

I don't weld. What can I use to make these?

Many thanks for any ideas

Czech_too
01-20-2011, 03:42 PM
I used aluminum flashing around the turkey fryer stand. It comes in various widths and lengths and it's easy to cut, or bend, to accomodate any leg struts or whatever that might have to be dealt with, so to speak.

Markbo
01-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Hmmm...I thought of that but thought it would be too thin and not hold up to the heat. Might give that a try, thanks!

41magfan
01-20-2011, 03:58 PM
I use a old coffee can with the bottom cut out.

JSnover
01-20-2011, 04:09 PM
My hardware store sells stove pipe in different diameters. If you find a close-enough size, cut it to length, yer done. This stuff is thin and soft, you could almost cut it with scissors.

lwknight
01-20-2011, 06:05 PM
I used a piece of 14" duct. I cut it to length and cut out for the burner and notched around the legs. It is a bit hacked up on bottom but still probably doubles or triples the milage on a tank of propane.
I guess that even a square shield could work if its kinda close to the right size.

arjacobson
01-20-2011, 07:37 PM
I used a piece of 14" duct. I cut it to length and cut out for the burner and notched around the legs. It is a bit hacked up on bottom but still probably doubles or triples the milage on a tank of propane.
I guess that even a square shield could work if its kinda close to the right size.

Thats pretty much what I did also but I used a large aluminum pot with the bottom cut off and notched just like you described. I did this after getting some advice from this site.... Helped out a BUNCH!!!!

cajun shooter
01-24-2011, 11:38 AM
We use metal roofing from old barns and such here in Louisiana. A lot of scrap yards have it. If you have the dollars then stores such as Home Depot and Lowe's carry 4x4 sheets of diamond plate. You have some rebar welded for a frame and slip the metal into the slots.

doghawg
01-25-2011, 12:00 AM
I use half of a 30 gal steel barrel which just fits over the turkey fryer.

HeavyMetal
01-25-2011, 12:29 AM
All you need is a roll of sheet metal, a cordless drill a pop rivet gun and a set of straight sheet metal shear's.

With this you can fabricate a fairly heavy wind break and make it a very tight fit to your lead pot plus cut some slots in it for balancing on the pot support struts!

By pop riveting you can make as tall or as big around as you need it. I will suggest you pop rivet from the inside that way you'll have a real tight fit windbrake to pot for maximum heat .

Planning to do the same thing to my turkey fryer and was out making some measurements this weekend.

buck1
01-26-2011, 08:11 PM
I use cinder blocks.

Markbo
01-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Definitely useful, but mine is strictly portable - from the garage to the backyard and has to be moveable depending on wind direction. Not an 'easy' option to haul couple dozen cinder blocks around.