PDA

View Full Version : ponder this.....

mainiac
11-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Upon shooting my .357 rossi many times today, I ended up digging out 100 or so bullets from the sand bank.(is this frugal or what?) They was 358429,s and 358156,s. How come an overwhelming amount of them measured .343-.347? The rossi has a .3566 bore, and even being a tight bore, how do you explain how these bullets got so skinny from point a to point b? Im talking about measuring the drive bands, by the way.

cbrick
11-04-2006, 11:57 PM
uh, perhaps you found someone else's bullets :-D. That or you have one h*ll of a tight spot in that bore.

11-05-2006, 12:37 AM
Maybe the sand is actually abrading the surface of the bullet and is reducing the diameter of the boolit???

Leftoverdj
11-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Maybe the sand is actually abrading the surface of the bullet and is reducing the diameter of the boolit???

That would be my guess. You could do a Richard Lee, and shoot into a swimming pool for a check.

Bass Ackward
11-05-2006, 01:50 PM
You could do a Richard Lee, and shoot into a swimming pool for a check.

Lefty,

As you might have seen on Kung Fu in the 70s, better to use neighbor pool, grasshopper. :grin:

Pepe Ray
11-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Mainiac,
Sand, gravel, abrasion?
Have you been standing down wind of the stack?:-D
Oh. I know, you've been working with Boob lately,
Pepe Ray

mainiac
11-05-2006, 07:15 PM
dont no about the abraision thing,,, the bullets look pretty good to me, strong rifiling grooves etc. On another note.... when i bought my rossi .357, the guy threw in a mostly full box of p.m.c. 158 s.w.c. I shot these up the other day. Very accurate and high speed (1690 av ve;locity). Upon digging these out of the bank, almost every one of them was perficaly mushroomed to about .400 diameter. My ww bullets hardly ever expand, these must be pretty near pure lead or something,although they didnt lead the barrell at all. I havnt found a load yet that shot as good as these! ( pretty near 1 hole groups at 25 yards) Ive been shooting so much lately, that the more i think i know the less i do know! I could easily ask questions such as this,about some of the things ive observed lately, but id bore you fellers probaly. I shot competitive benchrest for years and had a pretty good handle on things,,, but this cast bullet stuff is a hole different breed of cat! Pepe ray,,, they put big shirl in the brand new tissue machine. Im left in the old boilers. At least all my equipment is american and has american bolts! The new machine is all metric, and things are spelled in swedish jibber-jabber! beyond this farm boy to figure.

kodiak1
11-05-2006, 10:20 PM
mainiac Maybe it is do to the gravitational pull of the earth spinning on an off center axes causing a centrifical force on the prevailing winds making an extra high barometric anomally at your range!
Or it could be some one elses bullets.
Sorry can't give you a good honest answer.
Ken

454PB
11-06-2006, 01:24 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

PatMarlin
11-06-2006, 02:00 AM
Nancy Pelosi.