PDA

View Full Version : PP a wax bullet?

abob
01-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Someone the other day was talking about using possibly wax bullets in their rifle for cheap indoor practice etc.

It occurred to me that maybe if one could get a paper jacket to make it down the bore with a wax core, velocity could maybe be increased as well as accuracy? Anyone try it?

Just stuck indoors with lots of thinking time on my hands..... Bob. :idea:

303Guy
01-21-2011, 04:36 AM
There's a thought. Why not? The patch would remain on the wax core to the target. One could also cast the wax into the patch perhaps? I'm thinking in terms of melting the wax into the patch to 'glue' it on. One could use putty as a core too.

abob
01-21-2011, 11:48 PM
303 guy -- possibly one could make paper cups, made up on appropriate size dowel. Then when dry and carefully removed, pour or drip hot wax into the little cups. I've used a warmed up eyedropper to dispense melted lube before -- that might work.

Would think there would be a relatively low limit as to what speed they could be pushed to. Maybe with couple of grains of red dot?

Have to say don't know what practical use they would be for though--- other than relatively safe indoor use with very little for a backstop.

Bob.

bearcove
01-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Drill holes in a piece of mdf the size needed.

Roll paper,put in holes, it should want to unwind filling the hole.

Second piece of mdf under first seperate with plastic.

Pour wax in holes let cool push out paper patched wax wadcutters.

Play dough would probably work too.

leftiye
01-25-2011, 02:07 AM
My but you boys are kinky! I think I'll take up japanese terd polishing. Then paper patch those!

303Guy
01-25-2011, 04:42 AM
Well you know, sometimes one wants to fire a gun but can't - well here is one way of doing it. I've shot wax boolits indoors as well as something like playdough (although I found those to be less than wall paint friendly from a 44 mag with just LR primers!) But for back yard plinking they'll be just great. I've done No.2 air rifle pellets from my hornet to the same end. Anyway, it's all fun. :mrgreen:

Oh, when shooting rabits in an area where ricochet's are an issue these patched wax boolits might be just the ticket. In fact .... :roll:.

redneckdan
01-25-2011, 12:03 PM
I've done something similar with a 357 Prime a sized case, put a roll of paper sized so that it expands to line the inside of the case from top to bottom and just barely overlaps the ends. then take a small wad of paper and stuff it down in the bottom. Pour hot wax into the case and let it cool. I figured this method out after I tried just using a tuft of paper in the bottom of the case. The wax would hit the wall and shatter. With the paper jacket it would hit and mushroom like a speer hot core.

Red River Rick
01-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Every once in a while those "Supository" moulds show up on Evil-Bay. You could cast yourself some nice "Ogived" wax bullets and shoot them.

Heck, they might even be good for taking care of "Inflammed *******s" as well!
:kidding:

RRR ;)

bearcove
01-30-2011, 12:20 AM
Yep saw a nice brass 60-cav lipstick mold that might be just the ticket for 45-70 PP wax boolets. Might do for yotes or even small deer.