PDA

View Full Version : .358 throat reamer and 11 deg forcing

Charlie Two Tracks
01-20-2011, 07:16 AM
I have a set of Brownells .358 throat reamer and 11 deg forcing cone reamer. I have used them once and my new GP-100 does not need the use of them. I was thinking of donating them to this group so others could use them. How do you go about doing that or is that even done around here? Inquiring mind wants to know. Oh ya. I have a drill chuck out of an electric drill that can go with it so you can turn them by hand. I really don't have the time to keep track of who wants to use it or keep track of a list. Does this site have a " Can I use it and return it" store?

Tom Myers
01-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Charlie,

That is quite a generous and ingenious offer. I haven't a clue as to how a reliable means of keeping track of the tools could be set up but I do have three revolvers that would certainly benefit from a judicious application of the reamers.

Whatever the procedure that might be worked out, If I could use the reamers, I would certainly take care of them and be diligent in sending them on to the next needy person in a timely manner.

I have a set of Brownells .358 throat reamer and 11 deg forcing cone reamer. I have used them once and my new GP-100 does not need the use of them. I was thinking of donating them to this group so others could use them. How do you go about doing that or is that even done around here? Inquiring mind wants to know. Oh ya. I have a drill chuck out of an electric drill that can go with it so you can turn them by hand. I really don't have the time to keep track of who wants to use it or keep track of a list. Does this site have a " Can I use it and return it" store?

KYCaster
01-20-2011, 11:22 AM
I'd also like to take you up on your generous offer, but before you make a commitment you may want to take a look in the swapping and selling section and read about the fate of the lead hammer mold.

I didn't get involved in that one, but I understand it didn't go very well and ended on a bad note.

Good luck. I hope you can work it out.

Jerry

cajun shooter
01-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Just make sure that it is sent to known members who have a history with the site. I hate to say it but it could end up the way the lead hammer mold did a few years back. Why not take some kind of deposit as any honest person would accept. You can't go any where else and walk out with paying a deposit. They have certain places that rent out these tools and I would bet they require a deposit. Being a former police officer I have learned that not all people are the same as we want them to be. I've even had problems with members in our selling section. A honest man would have no problem with a deposit.

RobS
01-20-2011, 11:34 AM
KYCaster is right and the note here is when you donate these things simply do not plan on them being in circulation very long as things do happen. Accidents and mistakes do happen and there are some who are just not as careful with things as they should be. However, in the hands of other people these tools would live on until they were worn out from mere use.

cajun shooter also brings up a good idea with the deposit as a means of keeping these tools in circulation longer.

wiljen
01-20-2011, 11:36 AM
From previous experience with the hammer, I'd say hold a check until they return at the least.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-20-2011, 06:05 PM
What I wanted was for someone to take charge of this. I do not have the time to keep track of this so, if I have a volunteer to do this.......... I will send them on. I do not want anything in return. I am glad I can share something with this site since I have gotten so much from it already.

After thinking about this, I will send them to KYCaster and he can figure out what to do with them. If that's ok with you KYCaster. I'll PM you.

KYCaster
01-20-2011, 07:49 PM
What I wanted was for someone to take charge of this. I do not have the time to keep track of this so, if I have a volunteer to do this.......... I will send them on. I do not want anything in return. I am glad I can share something with this site since I have gotten so much from it already.

After thinking about this, I will send them to KYCaster and he can figure out what to do with them. If that's ok with you KYCaster. I'll PM you.

Hey now!!! What'd I ever do to you????? :kidding:

Well, I'll take it....just because I have a couple of 357's that could stand to have the throats cleaned up. When I'm done with it, I'll send it on to Tom Myer. Maybe by the time he's done with it we can figure out some way to track it.

Ya know, some of the people around here can't be trusted with anything. I wouldn't want your reamers to end up like that "Black Hole" thread....fall into a parallel universe somewhere and come back as a 12 ga. choke reamer or something. (cue the Twilight Zone Theme)

Anyway, thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll see what I can do.

Jerry

Charlie Two Tracks
01-20-2011, 08:26 PM
They should be on their way to Jerry this weekend. I will post when I send them. Maybe this could be a stickey or something to keep track. Just glad I can help a fellow caster out.

gon2shoot
01-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Well THAT will put the pressure on him. lol

cabezaverde
01-21-2011, 04:43 PM
I would like to use them also. I will make a donation to the site and then send them on to the next guy on the list. Sure beats buying one.

Edited to add:
I would be happy to pay a deposit, user fee to donate to the site, whatever. Great idea.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-21-2011, 05:58 PM
KYCaster. I just mailed them and they said that they should arrive Monday or Tuesday. They are packaged in a box that my latest gun came in. (well, for my granddaughter)

Dannix
01-21-2011, 06:15 PM
The deposit idea would work, but only if someone of a known-good reputation handles it. Otherwise a deadbeat could hold the goods and just keep taking in deposits until the word got out (which would hopefully be fast). :mrgreen: A cheque is a good idea, but if I'm not mistaken they are only valid for a month, which may or may no be a problem, but there is certainly the problem of a bounced check from a deadbeat.

Just some thoughts. We don't want the lead hammer situation to happen again (I read about that), but it would still be nice if we could still have a "library" of resources too. That's for your willingness to share Charlie!

watkibe
01-22-2011, 04:05 PM
WOW ! What a generous offer ! Thank you CTT !
The "rental reamer" plan has worked very well on the H&R board at GBO. The 357 Max reamer has been rented 52 times, and still going strong. The moderator is the "keeper", he sends it out, you use it and send it back with $20, he sends it out to the next name on the list. All shipping is via the $5 flat rate USPS box. The mod keeps enough money to cover his expenses for shipping, and donates the balance to the site. (A set of instructions go with the reamer, so you know the right way to use it, and so it stays sharp and your job comes out right. I suggest someone knowledgable do the same here.)
I would like to put my name on any such list that develops here for these reamers under discussion.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-22-2011, 04:12 PM
A set of instructions are in the box already. I really hope this works.

missionary5155
01-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Greetings
I would heartily say have it returned to a "Controller" each time.. that way there is no mix up and a nominal fee to cover costs and donate a few dollars to the site I would gladly pay.
I would like to see this be a go.

.30/30 Guy
01-22-2011, 04:35 PM
I would like to use them. Any of the conditions presented are fine withme.

45r
01-22-2011, 05:10 PM
I'd like to use them on my old M-27 S&W.

Wayne Smith
01-22-2011, 05:25 PM
As long as there are instructions and someone is responsible for sharpening it if miss-used I'm in. I have no idea how to use it or to sharpen it and would be dependent on instructions.

Since I really know nothing of this process I would like to keep it long enough to use it on one gun, take it to the range and see the results, then decide if to do the rest or not.

RobS
01-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Instructions for forcing cone chamfer:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10441/learn/Revolver_Chamfering_Tools_Kit

more specifically:

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/learn/Inst-152.pdf

I am assuming the original poster is refering to the basic 11 degree FC kit:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=514/Product/_38__45_BASIC_CHAMFERING_KIT

Charlie Two Tracks
01-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Yes, it is the 11 deg. cutter. As far as sharpening goes, these are real sharp. Very little material is removed. That forcing cone cutter removes metal fast. Be very careful and slow...........

RobS
01-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Charlie Two Tracks:

I knew you had the 11 degree chamfer/cutter, but didn't know if you had the basic kit, intermediate kit or complete kit. Most people just get the basic kit and that is what I have with the addition of a pilot for my bore.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Sorry about that. It is the basic kit.

cajun shooter
01-23-2011, 03:51 PM
If you are going to control this tool you can't allow one user to send it to the next user as you are opening up pandora's box. It has to be one person who sends it out and receives it back. They would or should have a log book as to where it is at at all times and the length of time it has been there. I'm sorry but no new members or people with less than 1 year should be able to use it. Don't care for the rules they have tool shops that rent these out while requiring a healthy deposit.

fireball168
01-23-2011, 07:27 PM
I've been thinking of doing the same with my .4525" throating reamer and pilot set, can't remember the last time I had a paying customer for it.

Maybe I've fixed all the Ruger cylinders in Indiana.

What does the collective think of this:

A thread/list running in the Benefit Auction/Sales section.

Renter(s) send a USPS money order for $15 made out to the site/Ken, along with a photocopy of their drivers license that shows the same shipping address.

Renter(s) send another USPS money order for $12.95 that will cover the Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box Shipping($5.20), with $140 insurance ($2.75).

The remaining $5 from the $12.95 check goes into a pot for reamer replacement & maintenance if needed.

The renter returns the tooling the same way they received it, USPS Priority Mail Small Flate Rate Box, with $140 insurance. ($7.95)

$35.90 total out of pocket, including shipping both ways. That's $10.00 cheaper than the last throating reamer I rented, including shipping costs.

$15 goes to the site, once the replacement/maintenance pot is full additional tools can be purchased or the extra $5 can be rolled to the site (or rental price reduced).

Dannix
01-29-2011, 08:04 PM
along with a photocopy of their drivers license
I'm afraid I stopped there. Personally, that's simply not something I'm willing to do. I would like to respectively suggest sharing your DL as imprudent unless required to by law. Sadly, it's the world we live in these days, and I mean that in regards to what is capable with today's technology, not specially in regard to the general moral climate.

KYCaster
01-30-2011, 08:27 PM
I recieved the reamers from Charlie last week. Thank you Charlie.

I'll foreward it to Tom Myers and then Cabezaverde. By that time I should have figgured out the logistics of it. I'll post regular updates to let everyone know what's going on.

Unfortunately, I'm having issues with my computer and will be off line for a few days.

Please be patient.

Jerry

watkibe
02-13-2011, 02:51 AM
FIREBALL, I appreciate the thought and time you put into your suggestion, but I'm afraid it's way too complicated and expensive for me. See my post earlier in this thread for a description of a rental reamer program that is working successfully on another forum. Unless H&R Handi Rifle aficionados are inherently superior individuals as compared to Cast Booliters (of course not !), I see no reason why a similar system wouldn't work here.

I will mention a few built in "profiling" tools on this site. If a person is a "Boolit Master", he has been on the site for a while. If he is a "Supporter", he has demonstrated his willingness to put his money where his mouth is to support the site. If his name is on the "Straightshooter" list, and not on the "Deadbeat" list, then he hasn't cheated anyone on the site. Maybe make rentals available only to those who meet all 3 tests ?

I do have a revolver that I believe could benefit from the use of these tools, so KY Caster, please PM me when details for rental of the reamers have firmed up.

MtGun44
02-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Simple approach.

Renter sends FULL RETAIL VALUE payment for the equipment to the originator, plus shipping
cost. Upon return in "normal condition" the money is returned minus $5 and shipping.

Nothing else will ensure it will work. Even if somebody keeps the stuff, you can just
replace it at retail and go on again, with new tools.

Bill

watkibe
02-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Simple approach.

Renter sends FULL RETAIL VALUE payment for the equipment to the originator, plus shipping
cost. Upon return in "normal condition" the money is returned minus $5 and shipping.

Nothing else will ensure it will work. Even if somebody keeps the stuff, you can just
replace it at retail and go on again, with new tools.

Bill

Not a bad idea. Any idea what full retail value is ?

MtGun44
02-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Nope, but the current owner does. I didn't invent this method. O'Reilly auto parts "rents"
lots of big bucks special tools in their stores. This is the method they use except that
they are "free", you just give them the full retail value deposit and if/when you return it
in good condition, they refund your money. Actually, they don't really care too much if
you bring it back or not. If you don't, they get a new one, you get a used one.

Capitalism at it's flexible and incentivized finest.

Bill

Charlie Two Tracks
04-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Did this ever get off the ground?

Tom Myers
04-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Did this ever get off the ground?

I dunno. I've been waiting, but havn't seen nor heard anything yet.

kungfustyle
08-31-2013, 10:54 PM
I see this is an old thread but some one turned me on to it. Is the 357 reamer still available?

Tom Myers
08-31-2013, 11:27 PM
I see this is an old thread but some one turned me on to it. Is the 357 reamer still available?

I dunno. I received the reamer, used it and then returned it and haven't heard anything since.

BAGTIC
09-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Find out how they handle toe .357 Maximum chamber reamer rental over at GBO. It seems to have been going on successfully for quite a while.