PDA

View Full Version : Lubing LEE mold?

Dogs_of_War
01-20-2011, 12:52 AM
I just received my 2 cavity .452 LEE mold!
I will soon be casting my own boolits!
I was wondering if there was any tip or tricks to making the mold run smoother?
Also what do I need to make sure that I need to do before using the mold? Just clean and lube?
What do I need to make sure I lube? Also what do you guys use for lube?
Id much rather find something around here or local rather than placing a separate order for lube.

Thanks for helping out a noob!

NSP64
01-20-2011, 01:14 AM
Bullplate Lube. on the sprue cutter screw and the 'V's and steel pins that are used for alignment.
A little goes a long way.

Dale53
01-20-2011, 01:18 AM
NSP64 has given you the recipe...

I clean all new moulds with Dawn dishwashing soap and a toothbrush. Rinse in very hot water and pat dry. Pre-heat before casting. I use a hot plate, but the two cavity Lees can also be pre-heated (see Lee's instructions) by holding the corner of the blocks in the molten alloy for about twenty-thirty seconds.

Dale53

MtGun44
01-20-2011, 01:26 AM
+1 on Bull Plate Lube. Don't cast without it. Bottom of sprue plate, top of mold and
mold alignment features need a VERY light film, let me repeat that -VERY light, just a
drop on a Q-tip and then distribute it over the whole cotton portion of the Qtip, then
wipe down the affected areas. May need a reapplication (same Q-tip, just save it) in
a few hundred boolits, quick wipe and go again.

Bill

dromia
01-20-2011, 06:00 AM
Also do a search, there is lots of good information here on how to get Lee moulds to work the way they should when they leave the factory.

geargnasher
01-20-2011, 02:55 PM
+1 on the search, this has been beaten to death about once a week for five years.

Check out the sticky on "sure fire leementing techniques".

Gear

btroj
01-21-2011, 01:35 PM
[smilie=b:Only once a week? We can do better than that. I propose we beat it to death on a daily basis!

nanuk
01-22-2011, 10:15 PM
:killingpc

Boolseye
01-24-2011, 10:13 PM
I don't have any bullplate (it sounds great!) so I made up a little bit of 50%Alox–50% beeswax (what Lee recommends for lubing their molds). I just melted 'em together and lube the various moving parts and the connecting pins. One of my molds is galling a little on the mold surface, so it looks like I need to lube the underside of the sprue plate, too. I try to treat 'em well–keep everything tightened down good, try to be gentle with them...I choose to smoke the molds and that works for me. The primary thing with these Lee molds, though, is heat. I always dip them in the melt for 20-30 seconds, and they cast beautiful right away. Same with the sixers, if ya ever go that route. I'm a newbie myself, but I've been doing OK with it.