PDA

View Full Version : Pre Loaded fire lapping ammo

98Redline
01-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Does anyone produce preloaded firelapping ammo?

I see that NECO used to but they don't anymore.

I have a new .44mag SBH Hunter that tends to lead the bore a bit and I am sure that firelapping would help that along with tightening up the groups a bit.

Unfortunately all of my reloading equipment is packed away in a storage unit due to my last move.

JSnover
01-19-2011, 04:10 PM
I almost firelapped a barrel until an old-timer straightened me out a while ago. His advise was to fire a lot of Jacketed bullets and see if the bore improved (it did). He didn't oppose firelapping, just believed it should be the last option, not the first.
One of the gunrags carried an article about firelapping a .22 rimfire by smearing lapping compound on the exposed portion of the bullet. Inertia and centrifugal force gets the compound onto the bore surface.
Before you do anything, why not examine your boolits, make sure they're sized right. Check the forcing cone, too. If it's too tight you may not be able get a properly sized boolit into the barrel.

98Redline
01-20-2011, 10:34 AM
I have previously firelapped my handgun barrels and have never had anything but good results. In each and every case, my groups tightened and leading was reduced.

I suppose that I could shoot boxes and boxes of jacketed ammo to burnish the bore, however it will do nothing to reduce the constriction that I have at the forcing cone and under the roll stamp on the barrel.

I am not trying to start a debate regarding the pros or cons of firelapping. The forums are full enough of that already. I am just trying to source some preloaded ammunition for this purpose.

2 dogs
01-20-2011, 02:29 PM
There is no such animal to my knowledge. You have to use cases that have been fired in the cylinder you intend to shoot the firelap loads in. Here is an article I wrote on firelapping that will give you some more information.

http://gunblast.com/FerminGarza-Firelapping.htm

NickSS
01-20-2011, 11:28 PM
The idea of Jacketed bullets has some merit. I have used that method on several rifles and pistols to smooth out a new bore faster. My last try was on a new Pedersoli sharps rifle in 45-70 that with cast bullets was leading a bit and also was hard to clean. So I ran 50 rounds of Jacketed through it and now it cleans up slick as my Shiloh and shoots more accurately to boot.

NSP64
01-21-2011, 12:53 AM
Redline, get some soft lead bullets (factory swagged) roll them in lapping compound, use a nail to deprime cases, take new primer and place on smooth counter top, use wooden dowel to push (do not strike-push) case onto new primer, insert 2 gr unique, press lapping bullet into case as far as can go with finger, fire, inspect bore for stuck bullet, if clear-repeat.

98Redline
01-21-2011, 11:30 AM
NSP....That might be the way to go without having to dig out and set up my entire reloading bench.

On further consideration, I think that I might just go ahead and purchase one of the cheap Lee Loaders to put together the ammo.

Thanks for your help guys!