PDA

View Full Version : tumbeler motor

realfisher
01-19-2011, 03:36 PM
i have a old midway tumbeler. it is the largest one they use to sell with there name on it.
well my motor finnally gave up after about 20 years. i got ahold of midway and they dont stock a motor for it. i called the manufacturer for it and they stopped making it and dont have a cross refereance motor

now im no dummy but with the currant production tumbelers out there, i know there has to be a 3.3 inch electric motor with internal fan, electric plug in cord and 4 studs on one end.

any one here have any ideas. the fans i have found dont have an internal fan to the. if some one has a vibratory tumbeler and can pass on all the info on the tag?

thanks for any help

:holysheep

Johnch
01-19-2011, 03:52 PM
If you have a Graingers local
Take the motor in and let them see if they have one that will fit

John

Maven
01-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Take a look at Baldor's offerings too: http://industrialmotors.reachlocal.net/AC-Motors_c2.htm

realfisher
01-19-2011, 11:02 PM
i have done both graingers and baldor. both places dont have internal fans.

thanks for the help

timkelley
01-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Take your old motor to your nearest electrical supply store. That motor should be much like a vent fan motor.

realfisher
01-20-2011, 01:29 AM
tim, the one close to me has only hardwired and non internal fans. thanks

realfisher
01-20-2011, 01:29 AM
thats why i am hoping to get the info off of a newer motor, to more easily replace it

jeff423
01-21-2011, 11:30 AM
I've gotten old (hard to find) motor's rewound and had the bearings replaced before. I don't know if this is cost effective on fractional hp's.

Jeff

GP100man
01-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Just add an external fan !!!

1 of my tumblers is external.

fryboy
01-21-2011, 08:19 PM
'bout a year ago i had much the same problem , i posted about it at the below link

http://www.handloadersbench.com/forum31/7228-2.html

lead-1
01-22-2011, 03:07 AM
I had a Lyman Turbo model that at some time fell off the bench and the bearing carrier that housed the ball bearings was broken. A little filing and some epoxy fixed it for another ten years but the carrier broke in a different spot. I went looking for a new motor and couldn't find ball bearing motors that didn't cost as much as a new tumbler. I tried two different motors with sleeve bearing setups and one lasted about three hours and the other only lasted about 20 minutes, no more sleeve motors for me.

shaune509
01-22-2011, 10:35 PM
If the motor is a 3.3" frame it may be able to cross to a universal "FASCO" motor. Check there site to get a # then cross referance to graingers, johnstone or other motor/hvac parts houses. The cord will not come with a universal motor as that is an oem added item. Fasco has several motors with internal cooling, the shaft lenght may need to be cut for your use and they may have extra mount studs that could be removed. Price may be a shock, examply I use the D208 for repair of stove vent motor and the wholesale cost is >$70.00 [retail list $120.00]. You will need to have the shaft dia. and lenght, rpm, rotation? and mount configuration.
shaune

1hole
01-24-2011, 10:21 AM
I bought one of the first vib. tumblers on the market, a Lyman 1200, a few decades back. I've replaced the motor twice now, used "freebies" I salvaged both from old bath and kitchen stove hood exhausts. I've simply used the plastic fan blades from the original, and soldered the power cord where it needed to go.

deltaenterprizes
01-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Make sure the replacement is 3000 rpm and has ball bearings!

mckutzy
01-26-2011, 04:44 PM
I've gotten old (hard to find) motor's rewound and had the bearings replaced before. I don't know if this is cost effective on fractional hp's.

Jeff

Sadly unless money is not a problem, getting any motor rewound, is not worth it today, the chinese have killed that many years ago.
I reciently worked in a winding shop any they had somewhat of a policy not to do tool motors anymore mainly because the cost to the business and the customer for repair. unless this is extremely rare/unique motor or they need the business then they will only think about it.
Its really unfortunate for all of them small shops that fixed tools and such.

realfisher
01-26-2011, 05:45 PM
its crazy that with all the vibratory cleaners on the market, it is so hard to find a replacement motor with a internal fan. it is easier to find a 3.3 with a plug in cord and there is not many of them