PDA

View Full Version : Subsonic 338 federal

270tu
01-19-2011, 05:29 AM
Hey guys

I'm building a subsonic 338 Federal on a Parker Hale (Mauser98) action with either a Krieger 1 in 8" or Trueflight barrel 1 in 9".
I was hoping to shoot a 250gr cast projectile at just under the sound barrier as I will fitting a suppressor (Legal in New Zealand).
Does anyone have any experience in this area? as I'm new to shooting cast projectiles.
I do have some Hornady 200gr flats points that were made for the 33 Winchester but when they run out I'll be heading down the cast projectile route.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Nobade
01-19-2011, 08:52 AM
Cast boolits are your friend here. Make them very soft and it doesn't take much to get them down the bore. Most likely no gaschecks needed. Make sure your suppressor is easily dissasembled so you can clean the bullet lube out of it. I have heard of people trying moly coating cast boolits to avoid lube build up, but have no experience on how it worked. That should be a great cartridge for subsonic work.

82nd airborne
01-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Coat the inside of your can with t/c bore butter and any fouling will stick to that instead of the baffles. Then, you just wipe it clean when you are done.

270tu
01-21-2011, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the good advice guys

Artful
01-21-2011, 07:58 AM
Trailboss is a good powder choice - be aware of powder position sensitivity with any less than full case loads - I purchased some special machined brass cases that limit my 308 to almost 300 whisper case capacity and that really helped my subsonic loading.

Here's some of my experiences
http://www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=280&page=3

BerdanIII
01-25-2011, 04:04 PM
You might want to hit the Handloading section of the Silencer Talk website to check for load data. I've seen the caliber listed in the topics but never read them.