PDA

View Full Version : Adapted Lee case length gauge.

JeffinNZ
01-19-2011, 05:15 AM
Team.

Now I have my mini lathe I can do all those lil jobs I always wanted to but couldn't. For example; I have a .243 Lee case length gauge for trimming but nothing for my Carcano the case of which is 1mm longer than a .243 case. I took the gauge, placed it in the lathe, turned the threaded end of the shaft down to just over .20 inch and created a shoulder. I then took some steel rod and drilled a 5mm hole it and cut off a 'tube' to fit the gauge. This 'tube' was a good, tight fit on the .20 inch section I turned and I then spun the steel 'tube' down to .266 to suit a sized Carcano case. Gradually I used a parting tool to trim the lenght of the 'tube' until the OAL of the gauge was 52mm as opposed the the original 51mm. Here is the result:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/DSCN2207_034.jpg

midnight
01-19-2011, 11:52 AM
If you call Lee, I'm sure they will send you a case length gauge in any caliber you want and they will leave the pin on the end extra long. You can then trim it down to your desired length. I know they did it for my brother. When you are making cases for some of some of the real oddballs from the 1870's & 1880's from a chamber cast, the lengths vary all over the map and rarely match the dimensions found in books. Some of these chambers have been messed with so each one is a custom job.

Bob

Recluse
01-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Good work, Jeff.

On my list of things to acquire and learn is a lathe. I regret not joining the Navy (instead of the Air Force) and becoming a machinist on some big boat. The things that a skilled machinist can do amaze me.

Well done.

:coffee:

leadman
01-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Good job Jeff.

I'm disappointed that Lee is no longer using the pin in the end of these gauges. It is all one piece now.