PDA

View Full Version : Lyman sizer (.452) die undersized

Rockchucker
01-18-2011, 09:43 PM
I have a Lyman sizer die (.452 dia.) that's sizing a .4510 boolit and think that's where some minor leading is coming from.I guess my question is: Do I Call Lyman up and tell them what's wrong, or take the die to a machine shop and get it machined out a thousands. Maybe others here have had a this same problem.

prs
01-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Yes.

Harrrrrrrr. Ok, I would lap it out myself. A smart buyer would make the manufacturer make good on it. Percectionist might opt to have a shop custom ream the die to size jst as needed to fit barrel.

prs

montana_charlie
01-18-2011, 10:23 PM
I don't suppose that your bullets are cast from Lyman #2 alloy, are they?
CM

Heavy lead
01-18-2011, 10:27 PM
My Lyman .452 did the same thing, lapped it out.
Don't use it much, only for 45acp, all others get sized .454 o run in .4525 throats.

RobS
01-18-2011, 11:52 PM
If you have the time you can send it back to where you bought it or send it back to Lyman. If you are like me then you will not like the idea of sitting on it for a week or two (possibly more) and will lap it out yourself or buy a new one while sending the other back for refund.

peerlesscowboy
01-19-2011, 12:01 AM
I have a Lyman sizer die (.452 dia.) that's sizing a .4510 boolit and think that's where some minor leading is coming from.I guess my question is: Do I Call Lyman up and tell them what's wrong, or take the die to a machine shop and get it machined out a thousands. Maybe others here have had a this same problem.
What diameter are your bullets "as cast" before you run 'em thru' the sizing die, and what's your alloy?

John C. Saubak

The reason I ask is; as I'm sure you're aware, the actual ID of the sizing die will be a couple of thousands smaller to allow for springback. Some alloys spring back more than others and the more the bullet is sized down the more it will spring back, the less it's sized down the less it will spring back. What this all means is for example, a nominal (452) die is prob'ly actually more like .450" ID, if your "as cast" diameter is let's say .453" the die'll size em down to .452", but if you're dropping 'em from the mould at let's say .452" then the .450" ID nominal (452) sizing die will size 'em down to .451"................make sense?

01-19-2011, 12:11 AM
For me, the time and trouble of returning it and waiting for a new one is not worth it. I've lapped a few Lyman sizers (need a larger sizer, not that they were too small) and, if in your situation, would go that route.

That said, I'd call Lyman just to let them know and to hear their response.

Rockchucker
01-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Alloy is 75/25 ww & pure lead with 2% tin and the cast size is .4545. I put some foil tape inside the the mold blocks trying to make larger boolits, however that wasn't the problem. I sure there are threads here somewhere on lapping a sizer die, but I'm concerned with keeping the inside diameter round not ever doing this before. Midway wants around 23.00 for a new die plus shipping and a machine shop probably somewhere in the same ball park so lapping it maybe my best route. Still gonna call Lyman today and see what they have to say. A thousands shouldn't be all that hard to achieve. Guess I also need to go back and research some stickies on die lapping.

RobS
01-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Here is a good write up:

http://www.castpics.net/

On the left go to Research and Data
then
Honing a sizing die

Rockchucker
01-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks for all the information on this issue I'm having, I've got a call into Lyman this morning and waiting for the return call. In the mean time I've printed out the instructions from the link above and may go this route if I can find the rightt size rod. Thanks again folks, This site is really great.

Gun Nut
01-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Midsouthsooterssupply.com is usually alittle cheaper than mid way .
But personally I would lap it out my self, its not hard to do just take your time and check it often as mentioned in the cast pic link .

montana_charlie
01-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Alloy is 75/25 ww & pure lead with 2% tin.
That is (most likely) quite a bit softer than Lyman #2, and won't have as much spring back. Therefore it stays at the actual internal diameter.

If you call Lyman, they will tell you that all of their casting stuff is spec'd to produce advertised results when using Lyman #2 alloy.

(You also hear many complain that Lyman moulds cast undersized bullets. I don't have any newer Lyman moulds, so I can't say anything for sure. But, I wonder if any of those complainers have used Lyman #2 alloy.)
CM

Rockchucker
01-19-2011, 02:09 PM
I just got off the phone with Lyman bout a hour ago and the tech there wants the die back, So it's already in the mail today. Flat rate shipping was 5.20 so it was cheap enough to send back, also sent them a boolit I sized last night. He seems to think there is a problem with the die and that's why he wanted it back. Thanks again for all the replys.

243winxb
01-19-2011, 07:46 PM
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/faqs/bullet-casting.php
Q: I have run my bullets through the sizing die, however they do not come out at the expected diameter. These were cast in wheelweights, would that make a difference?
A: Yes, bullets cast in pure lead or wheelweights will come out smaller, bullets cast in linotype will come out larger. This is due to the spring-back of the bullets being sized. The sizing dies are made to produce the diameters using #2 alloy. I sent a few back, Lyman fixed the dies correctly.

peerlesscowboy
01-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Midsouthsooterssupply.com is usually alittle cheaper than mid way .
But personally I would lap it out my self, its not hard to do just take your time and check it often as mentioned in the cast pic link .
I've never lapped out a sizing die..........have a question to those that have? Do you also turn out another (larger) center punch "I" part or whatchacallit? Seems to me the die would be prone to leak lube if you didn't?

John C. Saubak

x101airborne
01-19-2011, 08:33 PM
I lapped out a .430 die that sized me to .428. Since I was lapping, i went ahead and lapped it out to .431. Split dowel, 600 grit sandpaper, some oil, and a drill press. Took around two hours, but I was going slow.

RobS
01-19-2011, 08:48 PM
I've never lapped out a sizing die..........have a question to those that have? Do you also turn out another (larger) center punch "I" part or whatchacallit? Seems to me the die would be prone to leak lube if you didn't?

John C. Saubak

No need for a new center guide rod unless you go crazy. I've gone .003 with no issues unless I leave the press on pressure and walk away for extended periods of time; then the lube will work up between the inside of the die and the guide rod.

Rockchucker
01-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Last night while I was Messsing around in the shop I Put my .358 sizer die in the luber and was gonna size & lube up some gas checked boolits (158 grain rnft gc). I sized about 50 or so and stopped for a short break and did some measuring and came up with a .3575 and although these boolits shoot great in my Blackhawk, and marlin 1895 with no leading I would have and did think they were .358's all along. I'm not gonna change anything as far as lapping (yet) nor sending it back to Lyman like I did with the .452 die, but to me Lyman dies are UNDERSIZED with ww/pure lead/tin alloy and have no intensions of changing over to Linotype or Lyman"s #2 alloy due to the expence. Guess I'll be fine tuning all My Lyman dies in the future. I wonder if RCBS die are undersized with this alloy. Just talking out loud, Thanks for listening/Ron

RobS
01-21-2011, 01:48 PM
My RCBS dies have always been right on with air cooled WW alloy, however I prefer Lyman dies especially for multiple lube groove boolits. Actually water quenched WW alloy will spring back more (harder BHN does this) and my RCBS dies all were .0005-.001 over the desinated diameters.

PacMan
01-23-2011, 04:43 PM
Rockchucker none of my business but if you ever need to mail off another die i use one on those brown or white padded envelope and they will ship usually around $2.00.
Dwight

Rockchucker
01-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks Dwight, you never know it might be sooner than later.

mooman76
01-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Lyman products are becoming better to buy used than new now adays.