PDA

View Full Version : Mauser trigger issues

Otony
01-18-2011, 09:41 PM
So I picked up a very inexpensive P/H Mauser action a while ago (less than a hundred bucks), sporting a barrel in .270 Win. It was complete save for bottom metal, and had the typical P/H adjustable trigger.

I found bottom metal from a WWI Mauser carbine, the 98A. It fit the screw spacing perfectly, the more so since I had a commercial barrel here in .308 to lash up in lieu of the .270 barrel, so magazine length is not an issue. At the same time I installed a G.I. 98 bolt shroud with the military type safety. This dictated a simpler trigger of course, and I found an FN commercial that is essentially a single stage military style.

Now the trigger (FN) worksfine, but the issue I am having is the trigger blade wants to sit exactly where the rear of the carbine trigger bow resides. :veryconfu

I have seen in the past 98 triggers that did a zig-zag inside the stock. That is to say the arm of the trigger was bent forward at about a 45 degree angle before the blade of the trigger pointed down-wards. Terrible explanation, I know, but I am hoping someone will get my drift.

I can weld/bend/forge this trigger to get the blade where it needs to sit, but I wonder if a 98A trigger would solve my problem? Or if others have run into this scenario?

A little help please? :cry:

Mk42gunner
01-18-2011, 10:00 PM
I've always trimmed the slot in the trigger guard to allow free operation of the trigger. Before you do that though, set the barreld action in the stock to see if the trigger is positioned where you want it. If not then start modifying or replacing parts.

Robert

Otony
01-18-2011, 10:10 PM
I did consider trimming the slot, but the trigger would occupy the exact space as the rear of the bow. That won't work, so my options would seem to be modifying the trigger a bit.

Military 98 triggers are rather inexpensive, so I am not too terribly concerned with the possibility of buying another trigger.

As it sits, every thing will seat just fine in the stock I have...if I omit either the trigger or the trigger guard. Most perplexing. I am going to consult with DeHaas' Bolt Actions of the World to see if I can find a remedy before I cut and paste!