PDA

View Full Version : 1885 High Wall question

Marlin Junky
01-18-2011, 09:08 PM
I'd like to start looking for a High Wall in 30-06 but would like to know something about them since I've never owned one in any chambering.

When operating a recently manufactured High Wall at normal cast boolit type pressures (up to about 42K PSI) can one get away with neck sizing only for the life of the cartridge case as one can with a bolt gun? With my 336 hunting type loads in 30-30, I can only neck size at most twice before the case shoulder needs to be bumped back a couple thou.

Thanks,
MJ

montana_charlie
01-18-2011, 10:39 PM
My main 'deer gun' is a Browning 78 in 7mm Rem. Mag.
That should be close enough to qualify as the proper kind of experience to answer your question.

I always neck size only...don't even own a full-length resizing die.
I think I have managed to get as many of ten reloads out of a given case, but I may have annealed that once...and probably had to trim it to length a time, or two.

But I never had any problem with needing to set the shoulder back.

One thing, though...
I load strictly for best group...not any particular velocity or pressure.
If you like to 'load hot', you might get 'sticky' cases that I was never bothered by.

CM

wch
01-19-2011, 07:11 AM
Check the ASSRA forums for more answers than you ever wanted!

Frank46
01-20-2011, 12:30 AM
Glad you asked a question I can answer. Many many moons ago when I was young and stupid I bought a custom origional hi wall actioned rifle and it was chambered to 30-06. First time I took it to the range the command post on the scope kept falling down. But the rifle was very accurate. Second time at the range after firing 30-06 150 grain bullets still with good accuracy I noticed that the receiver shoulders on the receiver were starting to look battered. Evidently the breech block was not such a tight fit in the breech block recess. No handloads just factory ammo was fired. By the third range session the metal displaced by the block striking the inner walls was getting to the point where it could be both felt and easily seen. In my estimation had the block been reworked to fit its recess closer that this would have not happened.This rifle had georgeous wood, beatuiful blue job but one part of used trigger lever used to whack unmercifully the trigger finger. Since the owner of the shop where I bought it he gave me a store credit on anything I wanted. Still cannot remember what it was I got in trade. So here is my story. Frank

excess650
01-20-2011, 05:49 AM
Frank46,
Your original highwall was OLD and made with lesser steel than its modern counterpart. The original design was from 1878 or before, and made by Browning Bros in Utah prior to mfg rights being purchased by Winchester. The action had strength in its design, or enough so to handle the BP cartridges of the day. Because they were soft steel, they were color casehardened, but simply blued later, so probably better steel and possibly heat treated by then.

You didn't mention if yours was a flatspring or coil spring action, but the coil spring actions were the later ones, and I don't think they were made much past 1920. Regardless, it sounds like yours had been assembled from an action of soft steel, and/or poorly fit.

Modern highwalls and lowalls from Winchester and Browning are made of much better steel. The difference is enough that even the lowall is chambered for modern CF cartridges. An original lowall wouldn't have survived the 260 Remington.